• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can ESFP make a good cop?

TylerFromTexas

MBTI Type
ESFP
I recently became fastinated about the Myer Brigg Type Indicator, and took the test to see what I fall under. Earlier I came out to be an ESFJ, but when I took it again not too long ago, I fell into ESFP (which makes more sense for my personality).

Anyway, I am a junior majoring in Criminal Justice and I will most likely start my career as a police officer or a sheriffs deputy. Since it can be stressful, I was wondering if I have the proper personality for the job. I've tried to look around to see if my personality type matches the career, but I got no results that says its a good job or not for me. However, I've learned from other sources that people with an TJ will enjoy being a police officer better than an FP, but the fact that I am more people oriented, pratical, and rely on immediate action sounds like I could be fit for it.

Even though it doesn't look like a perfect career match for me, do you guys think I will find this job enjoyable, or at least interesting?

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I'm no expert on MBTI, but I am an aspiring police officer (likely to be hired here pretty soon)... I'd say not to get hung up on personality type too much and what these websites/books say is ideal/not ideal. I think your success would be more dependent on maturity level than MBTI type. Obviously this is something you want, so you're just wondering if you're cut out for it. Have you been on any ride alongs with local departments? If not, I highly recommend doing that to get a front seat view (literally) of the job... I think it could give you a good handle on whether it's a good fit or not.

As for the "will I find this job enjoyable/interesting" - if you don't mind baby sitting and paper work, you may potentially have a blast! :D

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You'll approach the job differently than your fellow TJ officers, and you will both bring your strengths and weaknesses to that same job. Do not underestimate the strengths that you have. SPs are amazing at responding in a crisis-situation, they are amazing at reading bodylanguage when dealing with people and understanding the situation, and as an ESFP you are likely to be charismatic and good with people. All those skills will benefit you on the job.

The things you will likely want to work on are the theory behind the job (knowing the law, and the regulations) and the administration and organization that comes with it. If you can understand why those 3 things are so important, then it should be no problem for you to deal with them, even if they do not turn out to be your favorite part of the job :)

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
You'll approach the job differently than your fellow TJ officers, and you will both bring your strengths and weaknesses to that same job. Do not underestimate the strengths that you have. SPs are amazing at responding in a crisis-situation, they are amazing at reading bodylanguage when dealing with people and understanding the situation, and as an ESFP you are likely to be charismatic and good with people. All those skills will benefit you on the job.

The things you will likely want to work on are the theory behind the job (knowing the law, and the regulations) and the administration and organization that comes with it. If you can understand why those 3 things are so important, then it should be no problem for you to deal with them, even if they do not turn out to be your favorite part of the job :)
Good advice/insight.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I recently became fastinated about the Myer Brigg Type Indicator, and took the test to see what I fall under. Earlier I came out to be an ESFJ, but when I took it again not too long ago, I fell into ESFP (which makes more sense for my personality).

Anyway, I am a junior majoring in Criminal Justice and I will most likely start my career as a police officer or a sheriffs deputy. Since it can be stressful, I was wondering if I have the proper personality for the job. I've tried to look around to see if my personality type matches the career, but I got no results that says its a good job or not for me. However, I've learned from other sources that people with an TJ will enjoy being a police officer better than an FP, but the fact that I am more people oriented, pratical, and rely on immediate action sounds like I could be fit for it.

Even though it doesn't look like a perfect career match for me, do you guys think I will find this job enjoyable, or at least interesting?

SP's lag behind only SJ's in terms of what percentage of police officers come from what group [SJ, SP, NT, NF] and significantly outnumber any N type.

Nicki

Retired
No, ESFPs aren't capable of being good cops. Become a prostitute instead.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You can do it!

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Should we give you a definitive yes or no answer to such a question? If you think we should, then I'd strongly advise you not to go into law enforcement. While stereotyping and generalizations may help some aspects of human service-type jobs, in excess or done stupidly they're also not things that tend to command respect...which wouldn't bode well for a law enforcement officer.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I agree. Become a prostitute.

(Srsly though, you can do anything you put your mind to doing. There's already a lot of stuff that stops you from doing things you might really enjoy--this doesn't have to be one of them.)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I don't see why not

I thought this thread said can ESFP make a good cup, which I do not know this answer.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ESFPs make good naughty cops? I thought those were ESTJs.

Lol, you know how sometimes a female cop will dress up as a prostitute to in order to arrest more people? Thats what I meant. Not exactly a real prostitute, but in the eyes of others, at least, you have been both.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I think it will be fine. Application is the key, besides Se is great in intense situations, you might even be good at going undercover.

A

Adam Bradley

you shouldnt have to ask that kind of question im also a esfp and i highly take interest in becoming a police officer so if you find it interesting then you do it its your choice.