User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    ISXJ

Like Effem said, I found the GRE to be pretty similar to the SAT's as far as math went. The verbal section was much harder IMO, and included tons of random words that I will likely never see or hear again in my life. A friend of mine had the Kaplan test guide, and I just skimmed over it for some of the math sections I was weaker on...which was a nice little refresher. I didn't study at all for the verbal.

A doctoral student that I know said he had the "Webster's Word of the Day" daily calendar, and surprisingly many of those words were on the test when he took it (but that was probably 10 yrs. ago). Good luck!

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp
    Socionics
    LSI?

When I took it in 2004 I debated over whether to take a 6-week prep course (Kaplan) or just study out of a book myself. I decided to study out of a prep book (Princeton Review) and force myself to stick to a 6-week schedule, basically teaching myself a review course. It wasn't that bad...just make yourself sit down and study for it for 5 hours a week or more.

Carry flash cards with vocabulary words on them so you can drill words into your brain while you're traveling, waiting on line, or have other free time. I started this early (6 months before the test) since I tend to forget words if I don't see them for awhile....particularly if they're useless GRE words!

The best practice tests to use are the ones issued by ETS (downloadable or on a CD) and approximate the actual exam more closely than Kaplan or Princeton Review.

Practice typing out your written essays before the exam. You don't want to edit too much as you write as if you were crafting a technical paper...just write fluidly, and go back later to proofread.
    Si>Ti>Te>Ne>Fe>Ni>Fi>Se

Introverted (I) 60% Extroverted (E) 40%
    Sensing (S) 56.25% Intuitive (N) 43.75%
    Thinking (T) 61.29% Feeling (F) 38.71%
    Judging (J) 71.88% Perceiving (P) 28.13%

MBTI
    INTP

If there are any programs that simulate the actual computerized exam, I would invest in those. I studied with a workbook, and found that it wasn't all that helpful, because the workbooks have everything in order, like a written test. The actual GRE just throws random stuff up on the screen, regardless of what type of question you'd answered before. That really threw me off, because I wasn't expecting to have to continually change gears.

With the writing, they're looking more for organization skills and support than they are for writing style. Make sure your ideas are fully supported and thorough. I think I ended up relying too much on style, and that hurt me.

Prepare for the exam to be mentally exhausting, just because it's very long and you're switching gears all the time. You'll get through it, but it's a marathon.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

I'm pretty anxious about the GRE math because I really remember so little math from high school. I took a gimme math class my freshman year of college and never really looked back. One of my homeroom kids asked me to help her with some of her very simple math homework... I remembered learning it, but I couldn't remember how to do it. So I'm going to have to get my math teacher friend to help me out, I guess.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I'm pretty anxious about the GRE math because I really remember so little math from high school. I took a gimme math class my freshman year of college and never really looked back. One of my homeroom kids asked me to help her with some of her very simple math homework... I remembered learning it, but I couldn't remember how to do it. So I'm going to have to get my math teacher friend to help me out, I guess.
    I've never felt comfortable with math. The subject always seems to intimidate me. However, I found the GRE math section to be fairly easy (I think I got around a 700). I think the test takes into account the fact that people haven't taken a math class in quite a while. Therefore, it forces you to use very basic concepts to solve more complex problems. You learned these concepts in 5th or 6th grade, so all you need to do is quickly relearn them. The GRE books will help you to break down the questions and figure out what simple tools you must use to solve them.

Then on the actual test, a lot of the questions will be phrased similarly to practice questions but with different numbers. If you remember how to go about solving the practice questions, you'll do fine.

It's easier than SAT math. The verbal part is difficult because they assume that you're constantly building a vocabulary, but they don't assume that you've been building your geometry and alegebra skills since high school.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Wow, I'm glad I didn't have to do this when I was accepted into my MLIS program. I put off grad school for years because of GRE-phobia, but librarians are at such a premium now, the test wasn't required (at least in my program).

If the GRE is similar to the SAT, test prep programs can undoubtedly help. A friend's daughter raised her SAT scores significantly doing a Princeton program. I'd check out their GRE program, especially if your math is rusty. This is a case of where teaching to the test is a good idea.

Good luck!
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I don't want to give you a false impression about this or anything, but I only studied for two days before I took the GRE and I came out with a 700 in both sections. My AW was lower because I didn't finish the last essay, but overall I thought the test was easy. Keep in mind that I am bad at math too.

If you really wanted to go for the nearest to perfect score as possible (which I assume you do), just get the Barron's book and do the practice tests from ETS. Do the math review, too.

I will tell you right now, though, that the practice tests on the CD with the Barron's book is not really as similar to the real test as the ETS ones are. So I would advise not to take the scores you get on that one too seriously as indicators of your potential real score.