User Tag List

Permabanned

Default It's weird, looks like I'm a farmer...

I'm not sure why...didn't grow up on a farm...

Just like the idea...

Meat...all types...I want a huge herd...of everything...

I like meat...

Farming for an intp? Does it fit?

What appeals to me is that, within reason, you get to set your own lifestyle..you're not answering to anyone...just you and the world...

Also, with online education becoming more and more acceptable...I can pursue my PhD as well....which is awesome...

I guess I'm happy. It's a nice change of pace...

MBTI
    INTj

I had several friends who did farming for a while. There are many benefits, but there are negatives also. Some of the work is quite filthy and demanding. You have to answer to the weather. Cashflow can be a problem.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

We've been learning the ins-and-outs of gardening lately, and canning.. Starting out small helps a LOT. It doesn't feel so overwhelming then..

I'd suggest starting with chickens, and see how you like it. If you don't get roosters and just hens, they're not noisy, and they're useful for both chicken meat and eggs. They're fairly low maintenance for farm animals (just clean the coop out, clip the wings, and feed them just about anything) and they eat their weight in table scraps, weeds, and bugs.

The bigger the animal the more investment, but we're looking at starting with chickens and then moving to goats, pigs, cows, and maybe even a bison in the distant future.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

WhoCares

I grew up with a hobby farm, we had about 100 goats, a cow for milk, a pig for meat and a handful of calves for meat also as well as 3 horses and a bunch of chickens and ducks. Even with 4 children and 2 adults working this farm it was a big job. Milking the goats and cow daily were a task and a half because we did it all by hand. We all seperated milk, churned butter and made our own cheese. Depending on what type of farm you want though, livestock husbandry is a constant job. We also harvested several acres of hay, the old fashioned way, with scythes. Not sure why we did that, it's not like I grew up in the 1800's.

The upshot of all that though is, I now have the skills to be a homesteader even though I live in the middle of a city and work a modern job. I still do make my own soap, candles, skin care, roast coffee, render tallow etc out of habit and a need to feel connected that way again. You can take the kid off the farm but you can't remove the farm from you. I still like to go to the agricultural shows and will return to a rural area in the next few years.

I think I will turn my hand to micro-farming fruits and veges though and barter for the rest. Animals are very high maintenance.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    We've been learning the ins-and-outs of gardening lately, and canning.. Starting out small helps a LOT. It doesn't feel so overwhelming then..

I'd suggest starting with chickens, and see how you like it. If you don't get roosters and just hens, they're not noisy, and they're useful for both chicken meat and eggs. They're fairly low maintenance for farm animals (just clean the coop out, clip the wings, and feed them just about anything) and they eat their weight in table scraps, weeds, and bugs.

The bigger the animal the more investment, but we're looking at starting with chickens and then moving to goats, pigs, cows, and maybe even a bison in the distant future.
    And the cool thing about chickens is they know where their home is. If you don't have any predators, they just hang around the yard.

Some people also use chicken tractors which are like a mobile chicken coop with no bottom, so they are protected and there's no bottom to clean out and you can just drag it to different spots in the yard so they can always have fresh grass and bugs and they aren't depleting just one spot. The droppings they leave behind help the soil and recycles the area.

The Romance of Farming

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    you're not answering to anyone...just you and the world...
    You are not answering to anyone except the Bank, the weather, the market, the Department of Health and Safety, the Department of Disease Control, the Irrigation Commission, the price of fuel, feed, machinery, and the Environmental Movement.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    And the cool thing about chickens is they know where their home is. If you don't have any predators, they just hang around the yard.

Some people also use chicken tractors which are like a mobile chicken coop with no bottom, so they are protected and there's no bottom to clean out and you can just drag it to different spots in the yard so they can always have fresh grass and bugs and they aren't depleting just one spot. The droppings they leave behind help the soil and recycles the area.
    I've heard about those quite recently, and pondered getting one for the depletion reason. Chickens amaze me, they're worth their weight in gold when it comes to sustainability and ease of care and they're quite cheap to buy as chicks.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

WhoCares

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I've heard about those quite recently, and pondered getting one for the depletion reason. Chickens amaze me, they're worth their weight in gold when it comes to sustainability and ease of care and they're quite cheap to buy as chicks.
    Make one out of PVC pipe and birdnet, it's quite cheap and you can get free plans on the internet. All you need is a hacksaw.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I love the idea and I've tried gardening and raising chickens. It was way too much work -- time-sensitive work -- for too little return for me. Won't say never again, will say not anytime soon.

Backyard chickens is a great resource, FWIW.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers