User Tag List

12 Last

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Default (Potential) Model Etiquette

I've done a lot of modeling for artists, and once for a photographer. I'd like to get more jobs and more photo shoots with which to build a portfolio. I have some decent shots already, but could always use more.

A couple of my friends have posted photo shoots on facebook, and I thought it would be a good idea to ask them and the photographers about it. In my direct style, I said the photos were really nice, asked the models if they paid for them or if the photographers just needed models, and asked the photographers if they needed more models. No response from anyone. Was I rude? Should I not have asked those questions? How do I find out these things if I don't ask? Should I have worded things differently? What is the proper etiquette for these situations?

Edit: Actually my friend responded and said she was just busy at the moment, and the photographer responded too and said good things. So it was probably the case in the past too that people were just busy. Fe freak out. In any case, it would still be good to know exactly what to say and how and when and all that if anyone feels like they know. Which is just as well as I can't delete a thread.
    Last edited by greenfairy; 10-02-2012 at 07:00 PM.

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Jeez, 70 people have bothered to look at this thread and no one felt like commenting?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    A couple of my friends have posted photo shoots on facebook, and I thought it would be a good idea to ask them and the photographers about it. In my direct style, I said the photos were really nice, asked the models if they paid for them or if the photographers just needed models, and asked the photographers if they needed more models. No response from anyone. Was I rude? Should I not have asked those questions? How do I find out these things if I don't ask? Should I have worded things differently? What is the proper etiquette for these situations?
    Did you use PM for those questions?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Jeez, 70 people have bothered to look at this thread and no one felt like commenting?
    I know I looked at the thread because I thought that "model etiquette" could mean "ideal/best etiquette", with "model" being used as in the term "model citizen"... but I don't know if that's something that other people thought.

I have a friend who's a model, and based on what she did, I'd suggest that you hook yourself up with a modeling/talent agency, if you're interested in amping up the amount of modeling work you do.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Did you use PM for those questions?
    I thought of that; I didn't the first time, and I thought maybe that's why she didn't respond. So I did with the second person, and had better luck.

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    I know I looked at the thread because I thought that "model etiquette" could mean "ideal/best etiquette", with "model" being used as in the term "model citizen"... but I don't know if that's something that other people thought.

I have a friend who's a model, and based on what she did, I'd suggest that you hook yourself up with a modeling/talent agency, if you're interested in amping up the amount of modeling work you do.
    Oh yeah, maybe they just wanted to see what it was about.

Yeah I've thought of that; but I'm not confident in getting enough work to make paying an agent worth it. And I'm interested in specific things, like artistic work, not just anything.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

lol
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Oh yeah, maybe they just wanted to see what it was about.

Yeah I've thought of that; but I'm not confident in getting enough work to make paying an agent worth it. And I'm interested in specific things, like artistic work, not just anything.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
    Depending on where you're located, I'm sure there are agencies out there that do more specific work. At the very least, it's worth doing a little research, sending out a few additional emails. What's the harm?

Just sayin'.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Depending on where you're located, I'm sure there are agencies out there that do more specific work. At the very least, it's worth doing a little research, sending out a few additional emails. What's the harm?

Just sayin'.
    That's true. I haven't really done much research. I live in East Tennessee, so it's not like a big city, but it might be worth looking into.

Be careful what happens to your images

The weird world of stock photography
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    Be careful what happens to your images

The weird world of stock photography
    Yeah, unless you want to end up as someone's avatar.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.