User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Default What happened to you after college?

Did you get a job in your field of study immediately? Did you have to take up part time work before finding a major related job. Did you take a job unrelated to your studies?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    2wX so/sx

I had to get part time jobs until I could get into a Masters program. I was out of school from June-December and started my Grad program this January. I'll be done this May and hope I'll be able to get a job pretty soon after I'm done. I'm ready to feel like my life is starting...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I was a dumbass and majored in English because "I love literature" and "good writing is always in demand." Then I spent the next two years being a nanny, and the next five years after that being an at-home mom to my daughter. Which I loved, but I also felt under-utilized. I did childcare (both as a nanny to the child I watched before she was born, and to other children in my own home) to make ends meet because it was my one marketable skill that I could practice without needing to hire childcare of my own (which would have negated the amount I could have earned at anything else I was qualified to do).

When my son was born five years later (seven years ago), I had an opportunity to do some freelance writing and editing, which is what I did until this year when I started working full time in that field, which is less fun but more stable.

Edit: I know I sound bitter. And I do feel like I was capable of being more productive even while raising my children, if I'd been able to stage a stronger launch after college. But I've loved my life, for the most part- just never felt like there was enough money.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

I majored in Ecology. I had a demoralizing time of it for the first several years out of college. I quickly realized I wasn't going to easily find employment in that field - certainly not full-time right off the bat, without any experience to speak of. I volunteered right out of school, which was a great experience and got me great experience for the resume; however after that I didn't find anything. So, I took a completely unrelated job which was a really really stupid move on my part (the nature of the job), quit after 3 months, was demoralized and, panicking, decided to enroll in a peripherally related Masters program, but that was a rash move so didn't end up going through with it, and then finally got a few short-term full-time jobs in the environmental field. I then realized after the 2nd one ended that the field was way too competitive and I didn't have any desire to live with my parents for several years, off-and-on unemployed until I actually *could* land a full-time job in the environmental field (and also didn't want to get a Masters degree only to compete with tons of Masters graduates who were all vying for the same more entry-level jobs I was applying for because there weren't enough full-times available at that time), so forgot about the field, temped, got hired into the service department of a financial company, was further demoralized and depressed for 3 years or so, then finally got into a Systems Analyst role, which was much better.

A lot has happened since then but basically after I gritted my teeth for a few years through the entry-level crap position, I could move onto greener pastures and at the very least it wasn't AS bad after that, and for the past 4 years or so of my working life (I took over a year off in the middle of all of it) my jobs have been much more suited to my personality, skillset, and abilities. Decent challenge level, or potential for challenge. Lots of learning, changes, and such since those first several yrs out of college (In a good way).

I know, that was such a happy story.

"...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    Did you get a job in your field of study immediately? Did you have to take up part time work before finding a major related job. Did you take a job unrelated to your studies?
    I got a job about 3 months after graduating in my field of study (computer science). The 3 months seemed like an eternity at the time. I did well at it right away. Put in a lot of unpaid hours earlier in my career in an effort to learn. I took a whole bunch of training late at night for example or studied the systems I supported. I would study books and technical manuals too. Was pretty motivated I guess. Took the CPA exam but I never did anything with the accounting background at all.

I did work part time all the way through college and during summers. Had a couple internships. Drove a fork lift. Was a busboy. Mopped floors and did dishes. Was a security guard. Was a cook. Whole bunch of different things.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INtP

After college, I worked in a lab (the same one I'd worked in as an undergrad) for a couple of months before starting a PhD program in the fall. Worked in a lab while I was in graduate school, and after seven years of that, I decided to leave the program with a Masters instead of finishing the PhD (which, as my project(s) had petered out wasn't happening soon). Stumbled onto a job in IT, and I've been in that job ever since.

All in all... the IT has been relatively good for me, although I'm looking for other opportunities (in the same general field) right now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Oh joy. Well this thread is giving me a lot to look forward to when I finally graduate...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I wandered during undergrad, and took a gap year to a 3rd world country for a year because I was confused about my professional path. Got the degree, entered a PhD program. Got frustrated with academic culture after a few years, went looking for an internship to gain marketable industry skills so that I could eventually made a lateral move into industry. Got lucky with it being a leverageble position, so I'm sticking with the PhD and the financial support via teaching while I invest my energy into the internship. I'm also directing my dissertation towards the internship because it's hooked up in terms of networking opportunity and knowledge resources. Worst case scenario I bail with the MA.

For the record: never go to grad school unless it's paid for you. If it's not, it means they don't value you enough to invest in you, which means you're screwed.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    oh i had a job waiting for me.
    i didn't even realize that people
    looked for jobs /after/ they got
    out of school. i just searched
    while i was in school. (isn't that
    what you're suppose to do?)

mostly because the kind of companies
    i wanted to get into required applicants
    to do multiple rounds of tests/cases.
    so had to study for that (thank you wetfeet)

it's weird, i never really cared about
    what my degrees would translate to in
    terms of job prospects. i always knew
    it was never the stuff on paper, but it was
    the interview/facetoface that would
    get me job.

i like majored in mickey mouse.
    and when we landed disney account...
    look who's laughing now.

i never had a part time job after college.
    during school i did. in england, i used to be
    a telemarketer selling wills, as in...last will
    and testament. so i'd cold call all the ethnic
    looking lastnames in leceister and put on an
    extremely american but bubbly accent. and i'd
    get paid for every solicitor i could book. easy peasy.

other than that i'd get summer internships. with stipends.
    or else, what's the fucking point?

wow. makes me want to go call my mom to thank her.
    for preparing my siblings and me the best she could.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by mmhmm View Post
    oh i had a job waiting for me.
    i didn't even realize that people
    looked for jobs /after/ they got
    out of school. i just searched
    while i was in school. (isn't that
    what you're suppose to do?)

mostly because the kind of companies
    i wanted to get into required applicants
    to do multiple rounds of tests/cases.
    so had to study for that (thank you wetfeet)
    I interviewed for two companies. One was a practice interview. The other was the one I wanted to work at. I didn't get an offer from either of them. I assumed they would hire me (stupid, arrogant or both). It was the second semester of Senior Year and I was like "shit, what do i do now"? So, I stayed at school with my girlfriend and did a bunch of research on companies, selected 60 that I was interested in based on growth of the industry, company's position in the industry, good to work for, opportunities to learn and for advancement, etc. Then, I sent resumes out. I got a job pretty fast but it took a while for me to get started because there was a strike. I offered to do any kind of menial labor required but they weren't going for that.
    Last edited by highlander; 10-02-2012 at 11:43 PM.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639