User Tag List

First 23456 Last

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Swiko View Post
    I just started my first year of college. I have no idea what I want to major in. Reading some of these posts makes me wonder if it even matters! Right now I'm just kind of going to school, then coming home. I've never had a job before--not during high school or anything. I'm going to try to get one over the summer, when I have time... maybe at a bookstore or something. But as for college... I have no idea what I'm doing there.
    I'm in pretty much the same situation as you. I wanted to get a job this past summer but I can't drive and there is no public transportation where I live.

Jeez, so many people in this thread have PhD's. Boy do I feel dumb.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    Ps - Are you rich?
    What was your first clue?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    Sounds like a wonderful story.

Ps - Are you rich?

If she is rich and if she is beautiful as I imagine her to be (recalls the Italian firemen story)
    oh, i'm happy as long as i have a nice view.
    I may be kindly, I am ordinarily gentle, but in my line of business I am obliged to will terribly what I will at all.
    ~ Catherine the Great

7w6 ❣ sx/so ❤ physical touch ❥ sanguine 70%, choleric 30% ❦

Johari.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I started working early on so I missed out on college, but I just bought a new coach for 400.000 euro, so I must be doing something right. First company to buy a euro 6 engine coach in the netherlands. Whoo!

It still has to be made, but that is approximately what it is going to look like from the outside, going to the factory in Ulm, Germany soon to choose the interior colors.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Can I say what I want to do after college?

I'd like to have a year long internship, then go to law school.

But I don't want to pay for law school. So I'm going to look into apprenticeships! And scholarships. And all the other kinds of ships that I can get my hands on.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I got my bachelor's in Psych and never felt like that was my intended career path. I don't regret it because I do enjoy Psychology and I think it's very foundational in terms of understanding people as a whole. I feel like I often have additional insight into people and relationships thanks to it. On the other hand, I do regret not having used college more as a career-making tool. The recession hadn't hit while I was in and the future seemed wide open. I'm also a classic Ne dabbler.

2 years post, I have learned to bake breads and decorate cakes, and I do that now to make my "dough", so to speak. I also do some art on the side. I've done a little managing as well, which I am surprisingly skilled at but do not necessarily like the demand/hours. I enjoy some aspects of these tasks but they're not things that get me up in the morning, and a business environment is a poor fit for me - I can succeed, but it's draining. Right now I live for the simple pleasures, for the love of my boyfriend, for the warmth of my family, the satisfaction of developing concepts, and for the excitement of future planning, and my job is just what facilitates all that. I'd like to work in a field working towards humanitarian change in the world instead - political, maybe dealing with communication, which I seem to have a knack for - but with a serious medical condition, I also need stability, a decent salary, and good benefits. The Holy Grail...

My secondary thought is some kind of counseling, maybe couples'. I might like that.

WhoCares

I got a full-time job in my desired field before finishing university and finished uni part-time while I worked full-time. It took only about 5yrs to realise that working for other people and corporate ladder climbing was a dead-end proposition. About this time I quit my job and moved to an artisan's town. I learnt silversmithing and opened my own business which was moderately successful. I got bored and went back into employment part-time because it was easier to pay the rent that way, I didn't have to budget so frugally in between selling my work. I work full-time again now, not as any sort of career plan but because there are advantages to having a big wad of cash rolling in week by week while I plan my next business and get it up and running.

My attitude to working for other people hasn't really changed I still think it's a poor career choice. However I can see the advantages in it if you also have another plan on the boil. Regular cash makes the day to day life easier and smoother while you build your empire. Of course there will come a time again soon when I will need to leave paid employment to put my hours towards my business. At least this time I know what to expect and the pitfalls of it. I've also got resources behind me so my business won't be so much on the knife edge from the get go.

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

graduated with anthropology and religion. moved to a new city on the coast with a friend from home after coming back from out-of-state, worked admin-based temp jobs for a year. came back home, started a culinary program (primarily as a hobby) and got a job waiting tables. was reading and writing a lot, looking for a purpose, trying to find a suitable voice/medium. significant other at the time who was in med school pushed me to start an MA language/lit program (she was a pragmatic intj!). taught writing at the university for a couple of years as a teaching assistant, and am now applying for adjuncting gigs and other full time jobs while figuring out how to turn my thesis project into something worthwhile. the phd track has proven to be unmotivating for me. i have an entp friend who also suggests that i consider starting an entrepreneurial project and offers incredible assistance, but i have difficulty paring down the possibilities to something manageable. another friend pushes me to go into computer science. right now "momentum" is the current theme in my life, because i am all-too-tempted to wait and wait endlessly, hoping to see the end before i trust the beginning. i'm also investing in a yoga training program this spring. i have a restless spirit. my joke goals are to start a new religion, write a new constitution, and solve the grand unified theory problem without actually reading a single book on the topic. oooh shiny things! i'd like to do something collaborative with ntps. i'm forever stuck in the quantitative/qualitative war, and one of my main goals in life is to bridge them.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

So far, my plan is to be well educated in a science-related field so that if I work in any country I will be viable, and to learn another language because it could be useful.. And then be a professional bum somehow. and travel the world, working different jobs so that I can just work in different countries for the fun of it.. But if I need to go home for whatever reason and make money, my education will back me for that. So far, the plan is going well.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

^estj
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.