• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What happened to you after college?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
does "more college" count as an answer?

yay grad school :cheese:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Did you get a job in your field of study immediately? Did you have to take up part time work before finding a major related job. Did you take a job unrelated to your studies?
I spent a year working in temporary, semi-related jobs, then went back to grad school, then did a stint in the military, then more grad school. Now I work in my chosen field - experimental physics.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Did you get a job in your field of study immediately? Did you have to take up part time work before finding a major related job? Did you take a job unrelated to your studies?
I didn't find any jobs immediately, it took half a year of applying to everything to get a successful bite. I did look for part-time work in the meanwhile, because I was living with my dad, who was really struggling trying to pay for myself, my little sister, himself, his new fiance, his fiance's son, my student loans, my car insurance, my gasoline, etc. He was practically yelling at me to just get in the car and drive around to local stores all day long, filling out applications at every local shop and turning them in. So I did, but nothing was happening.

I was looking for both Chemistry-related jobs and any job that would give me money; my interviews for chemistry positions took me driving to 11 different companies in 5 different states. About 6 months after I'd graduated, I was hired at a pizza delivery chain, and then a few weeks after that, received a call that I was hired at a lab I interviewed for 500 miles from my home. So I moved out there and started that job. Still working here now. :)

Swiko

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I just started my first year of college. I have no idea what I want to major in. Reading some of these posts makes me wonder if it even matters! Right now I'm just kind of going to school, then coming home. I've never had a job before--not during high school or anything. I'm going to try to get one over the summer, when I have time... maybe at a bookstore or something. But as for college... I have no idea what I'm doing there.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I had to drop out with 140 credits so i never finished, i want to go back some day just to get the last few credits because i'm so close. I doubt i'll use my degree.

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i'd sold a company. so i bought two back-to-back round the world tickets—among other things ;>—and lived a fairytale.

(i still am. but i've added a bit more wisdom, even greater abilities and loyal loving lifelong comrades to the tale. none of which i would trade for all the dosh in the world.)

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well I'm still in college though with college education I plan to be an archaeologist.

R

Riva

i'd sold a company. so i bought two back-to-back round the world tickets—among other things ;>—and lived a fairytale.

(i still am. but i've added a bit more wisdom, even greater abilities and loyal loving lifelong comrades to the tale. none of which i would trade for all the dosh in the world.)

Sounds like a wonderful story.

Ps - Are you rich?

If she is rich and if she is beautiful as I imagine her to be (recalls the Italian firemen story) -

*Plans on proposing to AF*

Well I'm still in college though with college education I plan to be an archaeologist.

Why am I not surprised?

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I just started my first year of college. I have no idea what I want to major in. Reading some of these posts makes me wonder if it even matters! Right now I'm just kind of going to school, then coming home. I've never had a job before--not during high school or anything. I'm going to try to get one over the summer, when I have time... maybe at a bookstore or something. But as for college... I have no idea what I'm doing there.

I'm in pretty much the same situation as you. I wanted to get a job this past summer but I can't drive and there is no public transportation where I live.

Jeez, so many people in this thread have PhD's. Boy do I feel dumb.

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sounds like a wonderful story.

Ps - Are you rich?

If she is rich and if she is beautiful as I imagine her to be (recalls the Italian firemen story)

oh, i'm happy as long as i have a nice view. :wink:

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I started working early on so I missed out on college, but I just bought a new coach for 400.000 euro, so I must be doing something right. First company to buy a euro 6 engine coach in the netherlands. Whoo!

229581_419633761430240_1074897074_n.jpg

It still has to be made, but that is approximately what it is going to look like from the outside, going to the factory in Ulm, Germany soon to choose the interior colors. :D

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Can I say what I want to do after college?

I'd like to have a year long internship, then go to law school. :happy2:

But I don't want to pay for law school. So I'm going to look into apprenticeships! And scholarships. And all the other kinds of ships that I can get my hands on.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I got my bachelor's in Psych and never felt like that was my intended career path. I don't regret it because I do enjoy Psychology and I think it's very foundational in terms of understanding people as a whole. I feel like I often have additional insight into people and relationships thanks to it. On the other hand, I do regret not having used college more as a career-making tool. The recession hadn't hit while I was in and the future seemed wide open. I'm also a classic Ne dabbler.

2 years post, I have learned to bake breads and decorate cakes, and I do that now to make my "dough", so to speak. I also do some art on the side. I've done a little managing as well, which I am surprisingly skilled at but do not necessarily like the demand/hours. I enjoy some aspects of these tasks but they're not things that get me up in the morning, and a business environment is a poor fit for me - I can succeed, but it's draining. Right now I live for the simple pleasures, for the love of my boyfriend, for the warmth of my family, the satisfaction of developing concepts, and for the excitement of future planning, and my job is just what facilitates all that. I'd like to work in a field working towards humanitarian change in the world instead - political, maybe dealing with communication, which I seem to have a knack for - but with a serious medical condition, I also need stability, a decent salary, and good benefits. The Holy Grail...

My secondary thought is some kind of counseling, maybe couples'. I might like that.

W

WhoCares

I got a full-time job in my desired field before finishing university and finished uni part-time while I worked full-time. It took only about 5yrs to realise that working for other people and corporate ladder climbing was a dead-end proposition. About this time I quit my job and moved to an artisan's town. I learnt silversmithing and opened my own business which was moderately successful. I got bored and went back into employment part-time because it was easier to pay the rent that way, I didn't have to budget so frugally in between selling my work. I work full-time again now, not as any sort of career plan but because there are advantages to having a big wad of cash rolling in week by week while I plan my next business and get it up and running.

My attitude to working for other people hasn't really changed I still think it's a poor career choice. However I can see the advantages in it if you also have another plan on the boil. Regular cash makes the day to day life easier and smoother while you build your empire. Of course there will come a time again soon when I will need to leave paid employment to put my hours towards my business. At least this time I know what to expect and the pitfalls of it. I've also got resources behind me so my business won't be so much on the knife edge from the get go.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
graduated with anthropology and religion. moved to a new city on the coast with a friend from home after coming back from out-of-state, worked admin-based temp jobs for a year. came back home, started a culinary program (primarily as a hobby) and got a job waiting tables. was reading and writing a lot, looking for a purpose, trying to find a suitable voice/medium. significant other at the time who was in med school pushed me to start an MA language/lit program (she was a pragmatic intj!). taught writing at the university for a couple of years as a teaching assistant, and am now applying for adjuncting gigs and other full time jobs while figuring out how to turn my thesis project into something worthwhile. the phd track has proven to be unmotivating for me. i have an entp friend who also suggests that i consider starting an entrepreneurial project and offers incredible assistance, but i have difficulty paring down the possibilities to something manageable. another friend pushes me to go into computer science. right now "momentum" is the current theme in my life, because i am all-too-tempted to wait and wait endlessly, hoping to see the end before i trust the beginning. i'm also investing in a yoga training program this spring. i have a restless spirit. my joke goals are to start a new religion, write a new constitution, and solve the grand unified theory problem without actually reading a single book on the topic. oooh shiny things! i'd like to do something collaborative with ntps. i'm forever stuck in the quantitative/qualitative war, and one of my main goals in life is to bridge them.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
So far, my plan is to be well educated in a science-related field so that if I work in any country I will be viable, and to learn another language because it could be useful.. And then be a professional bum somehow. :laugh: and travel the world, working different jobs so that I can just work in different countries for the fun of it.. But if I need to go home for whatever reason and make money, my education will back me for that. So far, the plan is going well.