123 Last

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Default How do you measure success, what does it mean to you?

I'm pretty sure there are other threads on this (cus?) but as i am rubbish at the search function i am starting this one.

I would like to know what it means to others individually.

Some measure it on social status, some on material wealth and i'm sure a plethora of alternatives.

For myself i do not put much value on material gain apart from the desire to own my own home and have enough money to provide for my children, pay bills buy food etc, i do not need/desire a flash car or eighteen holidays a year.

The reason i would like to own my own home is more one of security with a bit of value system thrown in...meaning i would like to pass it to my children and i believe everyone should have the right to own their own property. Not a palace or mansion just something basic and functional.

Those things for me are more fundamentals, though i think we all need to strive a little to keep our purpose.

Success is different.

I measure my own success by looking at how i can make a difference, which serves a dual purpose as it is also soul food. So, in my lifetime if i am able to effect change in what i believe to be making a difference to others...then that to me is a measure of success. The more i can change for the greater better and betterment of others, the more successful i believe i am.

So... discuss your own ideas/ideals of this.

EDIT: Done on the fly as thoughts occur, may formulate or add.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

level of success = level of satisfaction
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    In general, or to you personally?
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOfTroy View Post
    I would like to know what it means to others individually.
    Success to me, is accomplishing a goal that I have set my mind to accomplishing. No, that's not completely accurate. Success to me is finalizing a dream. I only call it a dream because it's something far too fundamental for me to be described as something as simplistic as a scheme, a plan or a ruse. It's finally pushing something that's true about the basic of your will into the fabric of reality. A moron might credit luck for such an occurrence, but no! The only way to get what you want and succeed with anything is to be intelligent, ruthless & relentless in your pursuit of it. You will probably kill other peoples 'dreams' in this pursuit, mercy is the enemy of success.

Eventual successes, that spawn in the wake of me accomplishing the goal at hand are just bi-effectual successes. People of weaker will might describe them as win-win.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

In general, or to you personally?
    In my opinion for people in general. If you get satisfaction from having shit loads of money, then money determines your success etc
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Success is being on the right road, the one with great scenery, going through great cities, populated with the best food stands, and leading to a promising destination that may or may not be reached.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Within View Post
    Success to me, is accomplishing a goal that I have set my mind to accomplishing. No, that's not completely accurate. Success to me is finalizing a dream. I only call it a dream because it's something far to fundamental for me to be described as something as simplistic as a scheme, a plan or a ruse. It's finally pushing something that's true about the basic of your will into the fabric of reality. A moron might credit luck for suck an occurrence, but no! The only way to get what you want and succeed with anything is to be intelligent, ruthless & relentless in your pursuit of it. You will probably kill other peoples 'dreams' in this pursuit, mercy is the enemy success.

Eventual successes, that spawn in the wake of me accomplishing the goal at hand are just bi-effectual successes. People of weaker will might describe them as win-win.

Can you expound on the probability of killing others dreams in the process?

My thinking is that this more often the case in success measured by business pursuits than the larger picture (when considering the majority of the population).

Also, do you not value mercy? Or is it more a case of tidying it away?

EDIT: Though possibly the majority of people do measure success in terms of business success, i'm not sure.

Banned

Can you expound on the probability of killing others dreams in the process?
    No one can account for the red threads of destiny.

My thinking is that this more often the case in success measured by business pursuits than the larger picture (when considering the majority of the population).
    You're not wrong, but you're only missing out the most clear of peoples intentions. You yourself, a purely anonymous person to me. I'd toss you to the wolves in order to further myself. This has probably already happened to you by people in your near presence, the game is to anticipate peoples reactions to what obsticale gets placed in front of them.

Also, do you not value mercy? Or is it more a case of tidying it away?
    I value mercy, when I can afford doing so.

Also, what you chose to respond to make you look like the evening press to me. Sensational headlines, but nothing actually went in to be pondered except the part that sounded good. So disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    Yes this is very important. I would also say it has to do with self-sufficiency, am I a drain on others, emotionally, financially, etc?

For me, personally, I would define success/satisfaction as having good friends, good relationship with my family, doing something worthwhile with my life, a balance with pleasure and relaxation.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

No one can account for the red threads of destiny.
    Oh, so then we can not know? Dang, i thought you had a theory for me to mull over. Or did you mean something else?

You're not wrong, but you're only missing out the most clear of peoples intentions. You yourself, a purely anonymous person to me. I'd toss you to the wolves in order to further myself. This has probably already happened to you by people in your near presence, the game is to anticipate peoples reactions to what obsticale gets placed in front of them.
    Ha sure, i'd probably offer you mercy. You'd probably think it wrong of me to do so, if i spared you, you may still throw me to the wolves as soon as you were able.

I value mercy, when I can afford doing so.
    Yes, agreed, we probably vary here on what 'afford' means.

Hmmm just saw this part "Also, what you chose to respond to make you look like the evening press to me. Sensational headlines, but nothing actually went in to be pondered except the part that sounded good. So disappointing."

In the OP? or questions i directed to you? I just seek understanding, weather you are dissapointed or not dosen't matter so much but if it makes you feel better, -you win?