• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do you measure success, what does it mean to you?

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm pretty sure there are other threads on this (cus?) but as i am rubbish at the search function i am starting this one.

I would like to know what it means to others individually.

Some measure it on social status, some on material wealth and i'm sure a plethora of alternatives.

For myself i do not put much value on material gain apart from the desire to own my own home and have enough money to provide for my children, pay bills buy food etc, i do not need/desire a flash car or eighteen holidays a year.

The reason i would like to own my own home is more one of security with a bit of value system thrown in...meaning i would like to pass it to my children and i believe everyone should have the right to own their own property. Not a palace or mansion just something basic and functional.

Those things for me are more fundamentals, though i think we all need to strive a little to keep our purpose.

Success is different.

I measure my own success by looking at how i can make a difference, which serves a dual purpose as it is also soul food. So, in my lifetime if i am able to effect change in what i believe to be making a difference to others...then that to me is a measure of success. The more i can change for the greater better and betterment of others, the more successful i believe i am.

So... discuss your own ideas/ideals of this.

EDIT: Done on the fly as thoughts occur, may formulate or add.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
level of success = level of satisfaction

Within

Permabanned
I would like to know what it means to others individually.

Success to me, is accomplishing a goal that I have set my mind to accomplishing. No, that's not completely accurate. Success to me is finalizing a dream. I only call it a dream because it's something far too fundamental for me to be described as something as simplistic as a scheme, a plan or a ruse. It's finally pushing something that's true about the basic of your will into the fabric of reality. A moron might credit luck for such an occurrence, but no! The only way to get what you want and succeed with anything is to be intelligent, ruthless & relentless in your pursuit of it. You will probably kill other peoples 'dreams' in this pursuit, mercy is the enemy of success.

Eventual successes, that spawn in the wake of me accomplishing the goal at hand are just bi-effectual successes. People of weaker will might describe them as win-win.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
In general, or to you personally?

In my opinion for people in general. If you get satisfaction from having shit loads of money, then money determines your success etc

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Success is being on the right road, the one with great scenery, going through great cities, populated with the best food stands, and leading to a promising destination that may or may not be reached.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Success to me, is accomplishing a goal that I have set my mind to accomplishing. No, that's not completely accurate. Success to me is finalizing a dream. I only call it a dream because it's something far to fundamental for me to be described as something as simplistic as a scheme, a plan or a ruse. It's finally pushing something that's true about the basic of your will into the fabric of reality. A moron might credit luck for suck an occurrence, but no! The only way to get what you want and succeed with anything is to be intelligent, ruthless & relentless in your pursuit of it. You will probably kill other peoples 'dreams' in this pursuit, mercy is the enemy success.

Eventual successes, that spawn in the wake of me accomplishing the goal at hand are just bi-effectual successes. People of weaker will might describe them as win-win.

Can you expound on the probability of killing others dreams in the process?

My thinking is that this more often the case in success measured by business pursuits than the larger picture (when considering the majority of the population).

Also, do you not value mercy? Or is it more a case of tidying it away?

EDIT: Though possibly the majority of people do measure success in terms of business success, i'm not sure.

Within

Permabanned
Can you expound on the probability of killing others dreams in the process?
No one can account for the red threads of destiny.

My thinking is that this more often the case in success measured by business pursuits than the larger picture (when considering the majority of the population).
You're not wrong, but you're only missing out the most clear of peoples intentions. You yourself, a purely anonymous person to me. I'd toss you to the wolves in order to further myself. This has probably already happened to you by people in your near presence, the game is to anticipate peoples reactions to what obsticale gets placed in front of them.

Also, do you not value mercy? Or is it more a case of tidying it away?
I value mercy, when I can afford doing so.

Also, what you chose to respond to make you look like the evening press to me. Sensational headlines, but nothing actually went in to be pondered except the part that sounded good. So disappointing.

gromit

likes this
level of success = level of satisfaction

Yes this is very important. I would also say it has to do with self-sufficiency, am I a drain on others, emotionally, financially, etc?

For me, personally, I would define success/satisfaction as having good friends, good relationship with my family, doing something worthwhile with my life, a balance with pleasure and relaxation.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No one can account for the red threads of destiny.

Oh, so then we can not know? Dang, i thought you had a theory for me to mull over. Or did you mean something else?

You're not wrong, but you're only missing out the most clear of peoples intentions. You yourself, a purely anonymous person to me. I'd toss you to the wolves in order to further myself. This has probably already happened to you by people in your near presence, the game is to anticipate peoples reactions to what obsticale gets placed in front of them.

Ha sure, i'd probably offer you mercy. You'd probably think it wrong of me to do so, if i spared you, you may still throw me to the wolves as soon as you were able.

I value mercy, when I can afford doing so.

Yes, agreed, we probably vary here on what 'afford' means.

Hmmm just saw this part "Also, what you chose to respond to make you look like the evening press to me. Sensational headlines, but nothing actually went in to be pondered except the part that sounded good. So disappointing."

In the OP? or questions i directed to you? I just seek understanding, weather you are dissapointed or not dosen't matter so much but if it makes you feel better, -you win?

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
A buddy of mine once told me: "I want to achieve enough that the word abdicate is used to describe my retirement."

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This question is so hard for me to answer, because I don't actually think I have a 'static' definition/road for success. Plus, it's very intangible for me; I can't really list out a series of things that will mean 'success' for me.

All I can say is that for me it means a rich life, a life where I am making the most of opportunities based on who I am and what I come to know of myself. It implies I'm satisfied with my life and what I'm doing with it, and that I continually keep that vision or move in directions that maintains that richness and growth in my life. Hence, dynamic... I don't think there will ever be a final state where everything is fantastic from that point going forward; I think things will ebb and flow, but hopefully I'll continue in a large-scale way to move towards an overall better place.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This question is so hard for me to answer, because I don't actually think I have a 'static' definition/road for success. Plus, it's very intangible for me; I can't really list out a series of things that will mean 'success' for me.

All I can say is that for me it means a rich life, a life where I am making the most of opportunities based on who I am and what I come to know of myself. It implies I'm satisfied with my life and what I'm doing with it, and that I continually keep that vision or move in directions that maintains that richness and growth in my life. Hence, dynamic... I don't think there will ever be a final state where everything is fantastic from that point going forward; I think things will ebb and flow, but hopefully I'll continue in a large-scale way to move towards an overall better place.

Hmm, dynamic..yes. I agree with this. It is more complicated than a single target or arrow's path.

I imagine it will often encompass an individuals value system too, which could also be complex.

ygolo

My termites win
At this point, I don't care about "success". The notion seems too selfish.

I don't want to ask "what's in it for me?" or "what do I want?". These questions are depressing.

Of course, I want to live, and frankly, I want to live comfortably. But beyond that? Not much. Perhaps good health, and long life?

I don't want to be ridiculously wealthy. I don't want to be remembered for ages to come. Don't get me wrong. These things sound nice, and I get the appeal. But at what cost will these things come?

I would like to provide things of value to others, and know that they value these things. I don't care if the say it, or appreciate me directly (in fact, the idea make me uncomfortable).

ygolo

My termites win
Success to me, is accomplishing a goal that I have set my mind to accomplishing. No, that's not completely accurate. Success to me is finalizing a dream. I only call it a dream because it's something far too fundamental for me to be described as something as simplistic as a scheme, a plan or a ruse. It's finally pushing something that's true about the basic of your will into the fabric of reality. A moron might credit luck for such an occurrence, but no! The only way to get what you want and succeed with anything is to be intelligent, ruthless & relentless in your pursuit of it. You will probably kill other peoples 'dreams' in this pursuit, mercy is the enemy of success.

Rumpelstiltskin

Icarus

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do what you want to do and get what you want to get, it's that simple.

Standuble

In the context of a specific task = Quantity produced / time taken
Outside of a specific task = Whether I have found the series of tasks a valuable use of my time or not and whether they have contributed to an end I find valuable. Success to me in the long term would be the arrival at a state of ultimate fulfilment on the eventual reflection that I did the best I could if I cannot reach this point.

W

WhoCares

I used to have complex definitions of success. Now I realise that success for me is measured only in kilowatts of happiness. Fuck the rest.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I used to have complex definitions of success. Now I realise that success for me is measured only in kilowatts of happiness. Fuck the rest.

Ok so we just substituted labels.

What does happiness mean to you and how do you measure it...?