User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

A buddy of mine once told me: "I want to achieve enough that the word abdicate is used to describe my retirement."

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

This question is so hard for me to answer, because I don't actually think I have a 'static' definition/road for success. Plus, it's very intangible for me; I can't really list out a series of things that will mean 'success' for me.

All I can say is that for me it means a rich life, a life where I am making the most of opportunities based on who I am and what I come to know of myself. It implies I'm satisfied with my life and what I'm doing with it, and that I continually keep that vision or move in directions that maintains that richness and growth in my life. Hence, dynamic... I don't think there will ever be a final state where everything is fantastic from that point going forward; I think things will ebb and flow, but hopefully I'll continue in a large-scale way to move towards an overall better place.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    This question is so hard for me to answer, because I don't actually think I have a 'static' definition/road for success. Plus, it's very intangible for me; I can't really list out a series of things that will mean 'success' for me.

All I can say is that for me it means a rich life, a life where I am making the most of opportunities based on who I am and what I come to know of myself. It implies I'm satisfied with my life and what I'm doing with it, and that I continually keep that vision or move in directions that maintains that richness and growth in my life. Hence, dynamic... I don't think there will ever be a final state where everything is fantastic from that point going forward; I think things will ebb and flow, but hopefully I'll continue in a large-scale way to move towards an overall better place.
    Hmm, dynamic..yes. I agree with this. It is more complicated than a single target or arrow's path.

I imagine it will often encompass an individuals value system too, which could also be complex.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

At this point, I don't care about "success". The notion seems too selfish.

I don't want to ask "what's in it for me?" or "what do I want?". These questions are depressing.

Of course, I want to live, and frankly, I want to live comfortably. But beyond that? Not much. Perhaps good health, and long life?

I don't want to be ridiculously wealthy. I don't want to be remembered for ages to come. Don't get me wrong. These things sound nice, and I get the appeal. But at what cost will these things come?

I would like to provide things of value to others, and know that they value these things. I don't care if the say it, or appreciate me directly (in fact, the idea make me uncomfortable).

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Quote Originally Posted by Within View Post
    Success to me, is accomplishing a goal that I have set my mind to accomplishing. No, that's not completely accurate. Success to me is finalizing a dream. I only call it a dream because it's something far too fundamental for me to be described as something as simplistic as a scheme, a plan or a ruse. It's finally pushing something that's true about the basic of your will into the fabric of reality. A moron might credit luck for such an occurrence, but no! The only way to get what you want and succeed with anything is to be intelligent, ruthless & relentless in your pursuit of it. You will probably kill other peoples 'dreams' in this pursuit, mercy is the enemy of success.

Eventual successes, that spawn in the wake of me accomplishing the goal at hand are just bi-effectual successes. People of weaker will might describe them as win-win.
    Rumpelstiltskin

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Permabanned

Big house, lots of land, a couple vehicles, many people in the house.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

Do what you want to do and get what you want to get, it's that simple.
    "I am the one who knocks."

<3 Hyacinth

In the context of a specific task = Quantity produced / time taken
    Outside of a specific task = Whether I have found the series of tasks a valuable use of my time or not and whether they have contributed to an end I find valuable. Success to me in the long term would be the arrival at a state of ultimate fulfilment on the eventual reflection that I did the best I could if I cannot reach this point.

WhoCares

I used to have complex definitions of success. Now I realise that success for me is measured only in kilowatts of happiness. Fuck the rest.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by WhoCares View Post
    I used to have complex definitions of success. Now I realise that success for me is measured only in kilowatts of happiness. Fuck the rest.
    Ok so we just substituted labels.

What does happiness mean to you and how do you measure it...?
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"