• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which type would make a worse server, INFP or INTP?

Which type would make a worse server?

• INFP

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • INTP

Votes: 15 53.6%

• Total voters

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Which type would make a worse server, INFP or INTP, and why? And if there are any outstanding servers of either type on here, please share your secrets. If you are either type, have you ever waited tables and what was your experience like?

I'm a server, and contemplating what it takes to be a good one. I think my coworkers are all J's- IXFJ, INTJ, and probably ISTJ. I'm thinking Te and Se particularly are essential for the job. I really like my job, I'm just not very good at it because I'm not good at multi-tasking and using common sense to prioritize. I'm too busy trying to figure out a system of principles which will work every time (and the problem is that they don't because things are always changing).

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Also I forgot how to make it a poll, and now I don't know how to go back and do it.

Click the option that says "thread tools" at the top right hand corner of your post and click the "add poll" option.

And to answer your question INTP would be far worse.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Click the option that says "thread tools" at the top right hand corner of your post and click the "add poll" option.
Yeah I discovered that, but thanks.

And to answer your question INTP would be far worse.
Haha. Why do you think so? I think some INFP's are better servers than some INTP's, but it might be true that the majority of a type is better than the majority of the other type. I want to know what is responsible for this.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah I discovered that, but thanks.

Haha. Why do you think so? I think some INFP's are better servers than some INTP's, but it might be true that the majority of a type is better than the majority of the other type. I want to know what is responsible for this.

The answer is simple. Servers serve people and feelers are better with people than thinkers.

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
p.s. if you're talking about waiting on tables, i fucking hate that job because i have to pretend to be nice to people, and if you're talking about being an internet provider, then i'd get bored of all the computation. I'm an INFP.

W

WALMART

Like all MBTI questions, I believe it depends on the persons involved.

INFP's can maybe relate more with the group being served.

Perhaps the INTP can evaluate the personality types and make a suggestion on foods that blows the customer away.

Maybe the INFP will find a clever way to sympathize with an upset customer.

Maybe the INTP will logicize why the food was cold and piss them off further. Or maybe they'll do it so cleverly the customer is happy.

So, yes. The person.

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
As an introvert, and having introverted feeling, why would you relate with a group?

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If I were you, I'd focused more on making my life better and getting a better vocation.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
I know I would blow in that job, but you know, I don't like talking for my whole type.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It was a long time ago but...I only lasted like two weeks. I made a much better hostess.

Someone snapped at me... Like her fingers. I said did you honestly just snap at me??

I can't deal with that at all.

My enfp sister tho... Was a pretty great waiter for a long time.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think any time can succeed in any job but for some types they probably have to stretch themselves more. Servers, I'd correlate with Fe, maybe some Se- noting all of the details in the outer environment and quickly responding to the moment. So INFP and INTP, neither of which has strong Fe or Se, it's a stretch but they can compensate by drawing on their functions.

Someone told me once that as an INTP I'd make a poor waitress. I've never wanted to be a waitress but after hearing that it, I actually briefly considered being a waitress just to see if I could prove the person who said that wrong.

a server? you're an internet provider? HMMMM.

Well in that case, I'd go wtih SJ. They are on-time and reliable. NPs service is more spotty. :alttongue:

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If I were you, I'd focused more on making my life better and getting a better vocation.

Well like I say, I like my job, and if I were really good at it I'd probably want to stay in the restaurant business and maybe have my own one day. So in making my life better I'm trying to become a better server (and yes server is the politically correct term for waiting tables now, it's not being an internet provider).

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Both tend to be more oblivious and clumsy than average, but INFPs tend to have more people skills.
So I bet that would be harder for an INTP.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It was a long time ago but...I only lasted like two weeks. I made a much better hostess.

Someone snapped at me... Like her fingers. I said did you honestly just snap at me??

:hifive:

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes I am aware that it's not dependent on type perse, but obviously different types have strengths and weaknesses, and some are more conducive to certain jobs than others.

I believe I loosely fit INTP, and as such, I've noticed this reflected in my job performance. Ti is good for having in internal system for information, and so it can use this for noticing underlying principles for success; however, Te is much more useful because you have to manage a lot of different things at once and organize time. Which I suck at and am trying to get better at. Si is good for getting a working routine, but Se is more useful in a restaurant because you have to notice all the relevant data in your environment and details which go into the Te decisions. Which I also suck at and am trying to develop. The Ti-Fe axis is useful, and is probably why I haven't gotten fired yet.

As neither type has Se, and has only inferior Fe or Te, I would say INXP's would make the very worst servers of all the types (that is, they would generally have to work a lot harder to become proficient, not that they can't ever be). INFP has Te, and if they can put it ahead of their Fi, and use their feeling function to connect with shadow Fe, they could excel. INTP's can similarly use their Ti in service to their Fe and use their T function to connect with shadow Te. But both types are usually stuck in their own heads either thinking about their own ideas or their own feelings.

INXJ's and ISXJ's would be good at it because they use Se and either strong Te or Fe backed up by Ti. Fe is good with the public, but needs a strong T function to manage tables. EXFX's might be good at it as well because of their added people skills.

As for my vote, I would say INFP's would find it more difficult and less rewarding on average, but it's a close call. INFP's like to use their feeling to connect with people on a personal level and make a difference; they like their jobs to have meaning. INTP's usually don't like to be bothered with dealing with the public, but if they happen to enjoy it I would say they would have an easier time (if they can learn to multi-task) because they tend to take things less personally.

My current question as a server is, how can a Ti user best develop Te, and how does one develop common sense if s/he doesn't have any?

W

WALMART

As an introvert, and having introverted feeling, why would you relate with a group?

Again, it all depends on the person. My cousin is INFP and apparently is an incredibly skilled waitress, if her tips were anything to go off of when we lived together.

I'm not fond of the 'hard sets' of MBTI, and psychology in general.

Although I see how this does not answer your question. Hm. My friend is INFP, and appears to sympathize with people rather well?

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
first of all, don't go blaming your ability to get the job done on your type. that is exactly the type of [MENTION=825]ygolo[/MENTION] created a thread about (something about psychological theories creating a "fixed" identity in some people that keeps them from overcoming obstacles because they see it as an inherent part of their being)