User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which type would make a worse server?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • INFP

13 43.33%
  • INTP

17 56.67%
First 12345 Last

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    first of all, don't go blaming your ability to get the job done on your type. that is exactly the type of @ygolo created a thread about (something about psychological theories creating a "fixed" identity in some people that keeps them from overcoming obstacles because they see it as an inherent part of their being)
    Don't worry, I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Which one's got the goldfish legs and which one got the sardine fingers
    Haha. What does that mean?

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    Again, it all depends on the person. My cousin is INFP and apparently is an incredibly skilled waitress, if her tips were anything to go off of when we lived together.

I'm not fond of the 'hard sets' of MBTI, and psychology in general.

Although I see how this does not answer your question. Hm. My friend is INFP, and appears to sympathize with people rather well?
    An incredibly skilled INFP server? That's excellent. I want to know her secrets.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Haha. What does that mean?
    Sorry, I'd just woken up. I'm weird when I wake up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nijntje View Post
    a server? you're an internet provider? HMMMM.
    I thought that too. I suppose an infp is more personable so would make the better server in a restaurant. And an intp would make the better computer server I'd imagine. Someone has probably already pointed this out though.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

Well like I say, I like my job, and if I were really good at it I'd probably want to stay in the restaurant business and maybe have my own one day. So in making my life better I'm trying to become a better server (and yes server is the politically correct term for waiting tables now, it's not being an internet provider).
    Hows your maths? Do you like systems and technical stuff? If you do, then go study that instead.

My current question as a server is, how can a Ti user best develop Te, and how does one develop common sense if s/he doesn't have any?
    I agree that Te is the right function here. But i think ENFJs would be the best waiters, better than ExTJs. It's Te but it's also Je. So both IxxPs, having inferior Je, do the worst. I don't know, I don't care.

Te is simple. Just do what you always do and Ti, but this time, as a group. Pretend like your a hive-mind. Their "Ti" is "your Ti." "Your Ti" is "their Ti." Be arrogant enough to assume that.

MBTI
    INTP

Those INTPs who have a well-developed secondary function and passable social skills can make a decent go of being a server, for the same reasons that they can make reasonable secondhand car salespeople. With their Ne, they gather 'all' the incoming information 'about' the customer (I put in quotes because this is an intuitive function), and with their dominant Ti they structure it internally, to be fed back out as a sort of faux Fe which is generated from the initial Ti construct of what the customer wants. Another round of Ne ensues, gathering how the customer responded to the INTP's faux-Fe 'output'. And so on. All the while thinking about the tip - if tips are individual to the server, not pooled, that will be quite an incentive to the INTP!

The INTP's Fe, being the inferior function, isn't really up to the job - but at least the INTP's F is e! And let's not overlook that 'real' Fe isn't that important in a server/customer context anyway: it's not like a relationship situation where hidden cues, body language and 'mind games' enter into the mix. Customer walks in, customer is seated, customer orders, customer eats, customer pays and tips, customer leaves. Easy-peasy. Sort of...

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nijntje View Post
    As an introvert, and having introverted feeling, why would you relate with a group?
    Good point, I dont relate to either groups or individuals.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INTP

I think that neither would be inherently better. Both have strengths and weaknesses.

An INFP would be better at making customers feel welcome and feel that they are being personally cared for. They would also naturally have more personality and presence. I would bet that their weaknesses would be 1) inattentiveness and 2) letting a bad table affect their mood, which then affects their performance on other tables.

INTPs, on the other hand, would be able to multitask very efficiently and would be able to sense when something needs to be done, but would still be able to fake the welcoming smile and charisma when necessary. They would also have more consistent performance, and wouldn't get too bothered by the occasional bad table. Their weaknesses would be a lack of genuine caring, and focus on efficiency that gives them a "cold" demeanor.

Also, what this guy said:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike5609 View Post
    Those INTPs who have a well-developed secondary function and passable social skills can make a decent go of being a server, for the same reasons that they can make reasonable secondhand car salespeople. With their Ne, they gather 'all' the incoming information 'about' the customer (I put in quotes because this is an intuitive function), and with their dominant Ti they structure it internally, to be fed back out as a sort of faux Fe which is generated from the initial Ti construct of what the customer wants. Another round of Ne ensues, gathering how the customer responded to the INTP's faux-Fe 'output'. And so on. All the while thinking about the tip - if tips are individual to the server, not pooled, that will be quite an incentive to the INTP!

The INTP's Fe, being the inferior function, isn't really up to the job - but at least the INTP's F is e! And let's not overlook that 'real' Fe isn't that important in a server/customer context anyway: it's not like a relationship situation where hidden cues, body language and 'mind games' enter into the mix. Customer walks in, customer is seated, customer orders, customer eats, customer pays and tips, customer leaves. Easy-peasy. Sort of...

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    I think that neither would be inherently better. Both have strengths and weaknesses.

An INFP would be better at making customers feel welcome and feel that they are being personally cared for. They would also naturally have more personality and presence. I would bet that their weaknesses would be 1) inattentiveness and 2) letting a bad table affect their mood, which then affects their performance on other tables.

INTPs, on the other hand, would be able to multitask very efficiently and would be able to sense when something needs to be done, but would still be able to fake the welcoming smile and charisma when necessary. They would also have more consistent performance, and wouldn't get too bothered by the occasional bad table. Their weaknesses would be a lack of genuine caring, and focus on efficiency that gives them a "cold" demeanor.
    I think you're right about all this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    Also, what this guy said:
    And this.

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Craft View Post
    Hows your maths? Do you like systems and technical stuff? If you do, then go study that instead.
    I find technical stuff to be really boring, but I've never become skilled at it. I can imagine being good at debugging computers and liking it, so I actually did get a couple of computer books (which I haven't had time to read yet because of school). So I might do that on the side some day. I also thought about taking the class at H&R Block and doing taxes, but once again that interferes with school. It might still happen though.
    Edit: Oh yeah, math. I'm pretty good at it. I don't think it would be very useful though. I like geometry. I'm currently studying sacred geometry a bit in my spare time.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft View Post
    I agree that Te is the right function here. But i think ENFJs would be the best waiters, better than ExTJs. It's Te but it's also Je. So both IxxPs, having inferior Je, do the worst. I don't know, I don't care.

Te is simple. Just do what you always do and Ti, but this time, as a group. Pretend like your a hive-mind. Their "Ti" is "your Ti." "Your Ti" is "their Ti." Be arrogant enough to assume that.
    You might be right about this. I was definitely thinking being a J helps, so Je makes sense. As for collective Ti, that's an interesting idea I'll have to think about to make sense of.

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Haha so if the poll results are anything to go by, and INTP is in fact the best fit for me (and even if I'm INXP), then I am the very worst personality type for the job. But I will prevail! I will use all my functions and intelligence to succeed. I will take advantage of my XNXX status to shapeshift and develop the needed skills.

And continue to consider other options as backup.