• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which type would make a worse server, INFP or INTP?

Which type would make a worse server?

• INFP

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • INTP

Votes: 15 53.6%

• Total voters

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes. When's the last time you can recall an INTP walking up and graciously saying, "Oh, hello, and how may I serve you?" (At least not thru gritted teeth?)

... oh yeah. We're naturals. :doh:

haha yeah

Well, it only assumes a predisposition toward wanting to make others happy.

Typically if you catch an INTP wanting to help someone, it's more to provide them information and perspective/framing rather than E2 style helps.

(Not that we can't do other things, but those are typically more developed/learned skills, not instinctive.)

true

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I worked in a convenience store part time for many years and I pretty sure my customer service standards are crap. I hated the job, mostly because I had to spend all day talking to people and being nice while I did it. Also it seems I'm very easily irritated by human beings and their stupidity/rudeness and all annoying little crap they do. Normally this isn't a problem because I can escape when I feel myself getting on edge but when it's your job, you can't. And it makes it even worse where you have to endure that shit over and over again - I can be cheerful for only so long before my patience wears thin. I would regularly have to go out the back and literally silently scream, jump up and down and punch the air in sheer irritation. :ng_mad:

I did do my best to maintain a mimimum level of civility but I'm sure at times that came across as rather surly. I did have days where I was in a good mood (or with certain customers) and was happy and obliging, but mostly I was not overly pleasant.

I just don't think I'm nice enough person to do that sort of job - not to mention too bad tempered.

I'm thinking the only way through is if you can find a way to spin it around so it's humorous rather than annoying as crap. Of course, laughing at people (instead of yelling at them) probably isn't a lot better long-term, since you'll still get called on the carpet for it. :)

I work well with people who aren't really customers, but I'm not really great at tolerating bs and getting dumped on when I'm trying to help someone or the customer would be being unreasonable.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:D Yeah I did a lot of that pleasantness-through-gritted-teeth approach. I don't know why people would assume the INFPs would be all that nicer.

I'm not sure which is worse, all I know is that I'm TERRIBLE at serving customers.

I worked in a convenience store part time for many years and I pretty sure my customer service standards are crap. I hated the job, mostly because I had to spend all day talking to people and being nice while I did it. Also it seems I'm very easily irritated by human beings and their stupidity/rudeness and all annoying little crap they do. Normally this isn't a problem because I can escape when I feel myself getting on edge but when it's your job, you can't. And it makes it even worse where you have to endure that shit over and over again - I can be cheerful for only so long before my patience wears thin. I would regularly have to go out the back and literally silently scream, jump up and down and punch the air in sheer irritation. :ng_mad:

I did do my best to maintain a mimimum level of civility but I'm sure at times that came across as rather surly. I did have days where I was in a good mood (or with certain customers) and was happy and obliging, but mostly I was not overly pleasant.

I just don't think I'm nice enough person to do that sort of job - not to mention too bad tempered.

Interesting. I can see that fitting with INFP.

Maybe it's weird, but I've never been annoyed with customers, and I've worked in fast food and restaurants for years. I pretty much like everyone. That's not typical of either type, probably. Probably not typical of INXJ either. I mostly get annoyed with coworkers and bosses getting all in my business and getting mad at me over nothing. I mean, anything in the customer service industry is just not important in the grand scheme of things. Years from now it's not going to matter if I made the wrong sandwich, or if I spilled something, or if my shirt was tucked in, or if I broke the coffee pot.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm thinking the only way through is if you can find a way to spin it around so it's humorous rather than annoying as crap. Of course, laughing at people (instead of yelling at them) probably isn't a lot better long-term, since you'll still get called on the carpet for it. :)

I work well with people who aren't really customers, but I'm not really great at tolerating bs and getting dumped on when I'm trying to help someone or the customer would be being unreasonable.
Ugh, I wish perspective would somehow work on this for me but mostly it doesn't. Often the things that pissed me off were ridiculously trivial but unbelievably infuriating. It's like the equivalent to eating next to someone that's loudly chewing and slurping their food. It's a silly thing to get worked up about but IT DRIVES ME FRICKIN CRAZY. And it's pretty hard to laugh off those things.

Interesting. I can see that fitting with INFP.

Maybe it's weird, but I've never been annoyed with customers, and I've worked in fast food and restaurants for years. I pretty much like everyone. That's not typical of either type, probably. Probably not typical of INXJ either. I mostly get annoyed with coworkers and bosses getting all in my business and getting mad at me over nothing. I mean, anything in the customer service industry is just not important in the grand scheme of things. Years from now it's not going to matter if I made the wrong sandwich, or if I spilled something, or if my shirt was tucked in, or if I broke the coffee pot.
I haven't had to work much with others in service jobs. When I did get annoyed at them, it's usually for slacking off and leaving all the work to me.

But I admit I'm a bit ditsy and clumsy at times, so I identify with your situation. :D It's pretty rough getting yelled at for something that's a mistake.

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In a normal scenario the INTP will probably have read well into it before making it and kept up his/her enthusiasm, it's typically harder to shake off NTs when their focus is narrowed.

xisnotx

Permabanned
I really doubt that a server (aka, waiter, I assume) is a difficult enough job that not every personality type could be competent at it.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I really doubt that a server (aka, waiter, I assume) is a difficult enough job that not every personality type could be competent at it.
I thought so too, until I tried it. It's pretty hard. Have you? I did mention at the bottom of the opening post, that every type can be good at whatever they want.

But, among the types who try their hardest and are still terrible, INXP would undoubtedly be among them.

I'm among those kind of crazy people who think types can be applicable at least a little bit to almost everything, because everything we do is a reflection of our mental processes to some extent. All types do a lot of the same things, they just do them in slightly (sometimes imperceptibly) different ways, with different motivations, with different frequency, etc. One person's T/Fi might make him a great waiter while another's might just be a distraction from anything practical.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Which type would make a worse server, INFP or INTP, and why? And if there are any outstanding servers of either type on here, please share your secrets. If you are either type, have you ever waited tables and what was your experience like?

I'm a server, and contemplating what it takes to be a good one. I think my coworkers are all J's- IXFJ, INTJ, and probably ISTJ. I'm thinking Te and Se particularly are essential for the job. I really like my job, I'm just not very good at it because I'm not good at multi-tasking and using common sense to prioritize. I'm too busy trying to figure out a system of principles which will work every time (and the problem is that they don't because things are always changing).

I would think that the INTP would make a worse server. INTP's (from my experience) usually have shitty social skills and because they are a thinking dom, they are often cold and icy in terms of personality. I think that an INTP as a server would be awful. INFP's also don't usually have the best social skills but at least they often come off as pleasant.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Follow-up question: which type would be better at the logistics of waiting tables? (i.e. not forgetting things, being quick, efficient, etc.)

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Follow-up question: which type would be better at the logistics of waiting tables? (i.e. not forgetting things, being quick, efficient, etc.)

Probably the Ti user. This sounds like something that most Ti users would be better at. Are you sure that you are a 5w4 BTW? You seem more like a 6 to me because you seem to constantly question yourself.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are you sure that you are a 5w4 BTW? You seem more like a 6 to me because you seem to constantly question yourself.

No, I'm not sure. I don't think it is a very good system because the questions are so narrow, and there aren't very many of them. I scored about the same in like 4 numbers. I do question myself a lot regarding my abilities; but about other things it's more that I question everything. I question all the information I receive, what other people think, and what I think. I think there are very few things we can know in entirety.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
No, I'm not sure. I don't think it is a very good system because the questions are so narrow, and there aren't very many of them. I scored about the same in like 4 numbers. I do question myself a lot regarding my abilities; but about other things it's more that I question everything. I question all the information I receive, what other people think, and what I think. I think there are very few things we can know in entirety.

Well, you could be a core 6w5 type with a 4w5 heart fix. That would make sense. In addition, I may have another theory. Have you every considered that you may be an INFJ with strong Ti? You seem like an INFJ to me.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INFP would be a worse server by far. Ti would be much more effective for CPU processing than Fi.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, you could be a core 6w5 type with a 4w5 heart fix. That would make sense. In addition, I may have another theory. Have you every considered that you may be an INFJ with strong Ti? You seem like an INFJ to me.

I have considered INFJ. I'm more INFJ than INFP, and to the extent that I act like an F I probably switch into INFJ. But at the moment I prefer INTX. Anyway, I'm not a definite anything.

As for Enneagram, I'm not really motivated to get into it. Other people are welcome to analyze me with it though. I'm self absorbed enough that would be more likely to keep my attention. :alttongue:

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
As an introvert, and having introverted feeling, why would you relate with a group?
Empathy or sympathy. Not that I've ever felt much sympathy during a customer's service situation before...

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
10 years ago I would have said INTP right of the bat. Without question.

Now that I am, in a sense, 'serving' customers on a daily basis. I have reached a point where I don't know anyone else who can do my job as well as I can.

Experience is still just experience though, does it really count in this comparison?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
10 years ago I would have said INTP right of the bat. Without question.

Now that I am, in a sense, 'serving' customers on a daily basis. I have reached a point where I don't know anyone else who can do my job as well as I can.

Experience is still just experience though, does it really count in this comparison?

That's cool. Do you like your job?

Experience would have to be equal. I think some types are better suited for some things than others, but of course anyone can do anything they put their mind to with enough effort.