User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which type would make a worse server?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • INFP

13 43.33%
  • INTP

17 56.67%
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

It was a long time ago but...I only lasted like two weeks. I made a much better hostess.

Someone snapped at me... Like her fingers. I said did you honestly just snap at me??

I can't deal with that at all.

My enfp sister tho... Was a pretty great waiter for a long time.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I think any time can succeed in any job but for some types they probably have to stretch themselves more. Servers, I'd correlate with Fe, maybe some Se- noting all of the details in the outer environment and quickly responding to the moment. So INFP and INTP, neither of which has strong Fe or Se, it's a stretch but they can compensate by drawing on their functions.

Someone told me once that as an INTP I'd make a poor waitress. I've never wanted to be a waitress but after hearing that it, I actually briefly considered being a waitress just to see if I could prove the person who said that wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Nijntje View Post
    a server? you're an internet provider? HMMMM.
    Well in that case, I'd go wtih SJ. They are on-time and reliable. NPs service is more spotty.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Craft View Post
    If I were you, I'd focused more on making my life better and getting a better vocation.
    Well like I say, I like my job, and if I were really good at it I'd probably want to stay in the restaurant business and maybe have my own one day. So in making my life better I'm trying to become a better server (and yes server is the politically correct term for waiting tables now, it's not being an internet provider).

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Both tend to be more oblivious and clumsy than average, but INFPs tend to have more people skills.
    So I bet that would be harder for an INTP.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    It was a long time ago but...I only lasted like two weeks. I made a much better hostess.

Someone snapped at me... Like her fingers. I said did you honestly just snap at me??

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Yes I am aware that it's not dependent on type perse, but obviously different types have strengths and weaknesses, and some are more conducive to certain jobs than others.

I believe I loosely fit INTP, and as such, I've noticed this reflected in my job performance. Ti is good for having in internal system for information, and so it can use this for noticing underlying principles for success; however, Te is much more useful because you have to manage a lot of different things at once and organize time. Which I suck at and am trying to get better at. Si is good for getting a working routine, but Se is more useful in a restaurant because you have to notice all the relevant data in your environment and details which go into the Te decisions. Which I also suck at and am trying to develop. The Ti-Fe axis is useful, and is probably why I haven't gotten fired yet.

As neither type has Se, and has only inferior Fe or Te, I would say INXP's would make the very worst servers of all the types (that is, they would generally have to work a lot harder to become proficient, not that they can't ever be). INFP has Te, and if they can put it ahead of their Fi, and use their feeling function to connect with shadow Fe, they could excel. INTP's can similarly use their Ti in service to their Fe and use their T function to connect with shadow Te. But both types are usually stuck in their own heads either thinking about their own ideas or their own feelings.

INXJ's and ISXJ's would be good at it because they use Se and either strong Te or Fe backed up by Ti. Fe is good with the public, but needs a strong T function to manage tables. EXFX's might be good at it as well because of their added people skills.

As for my vote, I would say INFP's would find it more difficult and less rewarding on average, but it's a close call. INFP's like to use their feeling to connect with people on a personal level and make a difference; they like their jobs to have meaning. INTP's usually don't like to be bothered with dealing with the public, but if they happen to enjoy it I would say they would have an easier time (if they can learn to multi-task) because they tend to take things less personally.

My current question as a server is, how can a Ti user best develop Te, and how does one develop common sense if s/he doesn't have any?

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Nijntje View Post
    As an introvert, and having introverted feeling, why would you relate with a group?

Again, it all depends on the person. My cousin is INFP and apparently is an incredibly skilled waitress, if her tips were anything to go off of when we lived together.

I'm not fond of the 'hard sets' of MBTI, and psychology in general.

Although I see how this does not answer your question. Hm. My friend is INFP, and appears to sympathize with people rather well?

MBTI
    INFJ

Which one's got the goldfish legs and which one got the sardine fingers

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

first of all, don't go blaming your ability to get the job done on your type. that is exactly the type of @ygolo created a thread about (something about psychological theories creating a "fixed" identity in some people that keeps them from overcoming obstacles because they see it as an inherent part of their being)
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Both are terrible.