User Tag List

12311 Last

figsfiggyfigs

Default Women+Cleavage+Work= disaster?

I came across a blog post by a female professor that recounts issues shes had in the past with the way she dresses and staring.
    Then I started reading more "articles" regarding appropriate cleavage at work.
    I really don’t get it. I ogle men’s asses all the time, but I don’t make it obvious, and even the most perfect male buttocks are no excuse for not focusing on my work or any other such nonsense. When faced with this crap, and people wigging out over Serena Williams (wow, she’s too sexy for her athleticism!) you can’t blame women for organizing Slutwalks to emphasize that “asking for it” is never a valid legal interpretation of rape.
    So, although the Vandy students wore cleavage so low I found it distracting, I would never have thought to tell them this entitled bystanders to behave in any particular way.

Another article focuses on how dressing sexually( even at work events) is a mistake, as it can effect the way colleagues see you.
    Our brains are hard-wired. The cortex in the back of our brains, Dr. Brizendine says, scans the environment looking for fertile mates. Complicating relations between the sexes, the part of the brain known as the "area for sexual pursuit" is two times larger in men than in women.
    Exposed skin speaks louder than annual revenue growth, even to a CEO. "What if the men in your office changed for dinner and came bare-chested?" asks Dr. Brizendine

I found this article by ABC kind of interesting as it compares pregnant women's breasts and how it is okay to show it, to the other women(who should not)
    "It's way too big of a distraction for men and women," she said. "If cleavage isn't in your job description, don't put it in."
    Then later says
    Pregnant women are an exception to the rules. Squires said because pregnancy gives breasts a boost they might not have otherwise, women should show them off.

"During pregnancy you should celebrate your breasts. For some women, that's the only time they have cleavage," she said. "Obviously you don't want to go nuts. But cleavage on a pregnant woman is just different -- live it up a bit."
    Here is the creme de la creme by the daily mail that says
    Brits are top of the game when it comes to using their cleavage to get ahead in life, a study claims.
    According to findings an increasing amount of females are reaping the benefits of their décolletage.
    In a poll of 1,000 women across the UK, one in seven admitted to wearing plunging necklines in the workplace to give their career a boost, while 8 per cent revealed that low-cut tops had helped them escape a parking fine.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...ge-office.html
    It's counter part article has female professionals that speak of experience with using breasts as a weapon and share their opinion, some for, and some against, with a final male opinion to seal off the article.

Showing cleavage is a request to be engaged in a particular way. It doesn’t necessarily mean that a woman is asking to be objectified, but it does suggest a certain confidence and physical ease. It means that a woman is content being perceived as a sexual person in addition to being seen as someone who is intelligent, authoritative, witty and whatever else might define her personality. It also means that she feels that all those other characteristics are so apparent and undeniable, that they will not be overshadowed.

What is your opinion on cleavage/dress attire at work. What is appropriate?

Don't honestly care what other women wear. For myself, showing cleavage isn't my thing.

E - Should add that my perception has changed over the last few years. In chipping apart the gender construct, it's made me realise how much of this is steeped in madonna/whore.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

What is appropriate?
    Depends if you're a hooker or a lawyer.

(Actually, I should probably have tried to find two more disparate professions.)

Edit. Article assumes that you won't be ogled if you don't show cleavage.
    Not true.
    I never (intentionally) show cleavage at work, yet still men have conversations with my breasts instead of my face.
    Short of wearing an over-sized boiler suit, this is just one of the shitty things you have to deal with as a working woman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

For the woman, showing too much takes away from her influence. If you have them, showing the shape of them is fine, but too much flesh arouses less-than-professional thoughts and takes away from the delivery of one's words.
    I N V I C T U S

Boobs are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Thursday View Post
    For the woman, showing too much takes away from her influence. If you have them, showing the shape of them is fine, but too much flesh arouses less-than-professional thoughts and takes away from the delivery of one's words.
    Hold it. So if a double GG woman were to wear a skin tight turtleneck, this would be acceptable but if another A cup woman were to unbutton one button, showing a hint of cleavage, this would distract?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Well, it can be quite...distracting.
    My focus can get like ''work, work, work, work, breasts, ok I must not look, work, work, breasts, ok I must not look, work, work''.

Attachment 7802

Ocktoberfest or Renfest are the best places to find cleavages.

In general I think it's detracting from what the woman may actually be saying or doing. However, it's going to happen and as has been mentioned already, the actual cleavage doesn't even really need to be there in order for the unwanted/wanted attention, but it does give excuses to make it the woman's "error," which is always pleasant.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

Are women responsible for men?