• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Women+Cleavage+Work= disaster?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
images

:rofl1:

I am glad there are differing opinions from mine.. If everyone had my mentality, there'd be string bikinis and speedos everywhere at Wall Street. :doh: And then skin cancer rates would probably sky rocket..

I just think that people ought to make their battles more personal, and not automatically attack and assume things about others based on things that have nothing to do with the concepts. Exposed cleavage is not what makes men objectify women. Women are not asking for attention from others if they dress in anything but completely modest attire. And I don't think most women wear something because they hope it will get them a promotion, a raise, or get them off the hook with work-related activities. Maybe that's a bit idealistic of me, but I just don't think the issue is that explosive. If it truly was, cleavage would be banned from everywhere.. and then Hooters would probably go out of business soon after.

Istbkleta

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
other such nonsense that broke my heart when I realized many of my male friends were not thinking we were equals like I thought they were.

I am sorry you had those experiences.

In my life I can't remember a single girl/woman who would be my friend without eventually dropping hints and flirting. Including after they get married. Made me pretty jaded about their motivations.

Even now I can remember too many occasions when women I respect and want to be friends with, evaluate me quickly as "romantic/fling material" and I can literally see their eyes start to see through me when they decide there is no romantic potential.

Every. Single. Woman. Ever.

It's like life is a fucking race for women and if I am not part of the "winning" strategy, I am just dead weight. Women, the way I've seen them, are incredibly predatory and ruthless at winning at "love". Whatever that means for each one of them.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I am sorry you had those experiences.

In my life I can't remember a single girl/woman who would be my friend without eventually dropping hints and flirting. Including after they get married. Made me pretty jaded about their motivations.

Even now I can remember too many occasions when women I respect and want to be friends with, evaluate me quickly as "romantic/fling material" and I can literally see their eyes start to see through me when they decide there is no romantic potential.

Every. Single. Woman. Ever.

It's like life is a fucking race for women and if I am not part of the "winning" strategy, I am just dead weight. Women, the way I've seen them, are incredibly predatory and ruthless at winning at "love". Whatever that means for each one of them.

But what does all of that have to do with you absolutely hating cleavage in the work place? I was merely trying to show you that women wear clothing for all sorts of reasons--and almost always it is self-motivated, not motivated by what others want. My examples were stating that cleavage does not mean guys will consider you more or less.. Guys do what they want and fuck-me if I don't like it. Your examples you give are supporting my points--they (women) are out for themselves and what they want too. It doesn't matter what the guys want them to wear--or anyone else for that matter--as long as they like what they wear. How is that automatically objectifying you and inconveniencing you in the workplace?

Istbkleta

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
How is that automatically objectifying you and inconveniencing you in the workplace?

I have never seen a woman showing cleavage who wasn't intentionally pushing it in my face. For a gazillion different reasons - yes. For themselves - yes. Still in my face and still they expect an outcome and still get "upset" if they don't get it.

I don't want to argue. My knee jerk reaction is messing up my life and I was hoping to perhaps find a way to come to terms with the behavior in some way.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
@Op

I find there is a very big difference between dressing up the girls in a party top and ensuring maximum focus being drawn there, and a bit of cleavage in a work shirt. :shrug:

One is meant to signal you are in an approachable mood, while the other one is just..well, being feminine and feeling good in your body, I feel. Kind of like the way that suits show off a mans shoulders. It just accentuates the aesthetic lines of his body, and as theirs happens to be rectangular usually, and ours happens to be more curvy, different things are going to look better on us :shrug:

Im with K on the whole desensitising issue. Now I wont deny some women will make a work top into a party top in disguise, but that stuff is pretty easy to tell, and the men who are willing to let the office place be turned into a bar over that are every bit as unprofessional as the girl who started it, imo.

Lastly, you will never be able to fully take sex out of the office, as people spend way too much time with each other there, and tend to have hormones rushing through their bodies, especially with the opposite sex being in the building. Yes they should be able to keep it for later, and no, that will never fully happen ever.

It would be nice if guys could learn to look more subtly at it though ,especially in the workplace, the way girls do. But then Im told (scientific research study I read I believe), that men have louse peripheral vision, and so are rather...stunted in the subtleness department :laugh:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I have never seen a woman showing cleavage who wasn't intentionally pushing it in my face. For a gazillion different reasons - yes. For themselves - yes. Still in my face and still they expect an outcome and still get "upset" if they don't get it.

I don't want to argue. My knee jerk reaction is messing up my life and I was hoping to perhaps find a way to come to terms with the behavior in some way.

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be difficult. Im trying to say that it doesn't really matter what you do, people are going to act and react. You cannot change the behavior of others to suit your needs, even if changing it would be for the better of everyone.

Men stick their thoughts and opinions into my life all the time without my welcoming it. It doesn't matter what I am, what I have done in my life.. their predetermined ideas on what I should do and how I should be are there. I'm not going to be angry and jaded all the time just because I can't control what they do and say. I don't think you ought to be so angry either.. Women are sticking their cleavage in your face all the time, trying to get a reaction.. If they don't get one, they're upset and pouty.. But to me, the story should end there. Why be angry at all women? You said so yourself, aren't there exceptions? It sounds like your particular work environment is the issue, not women as a whole.. The office I worked in, women were very feminine and modest in their attire.. It will be slightly different everywhere you go.

For me, the exceptions I come across in my life make dealing with the masses completely worth it. For you, you seem jaded and just want to get angry at everyone.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Look at all the trouble this issue is causing! I think the better question would be, "is it necessary to bust (lol) out the cleavage?"

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Look at all the trouble this issue is causing! I think the better question would be, "is it necessary to bust (lol) out the cleavage?"

I think even that would start a slew of back-and-forths.. Not much is really necessary in life. So what is deemed necessary outside of essentials is again very different for everyone.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Personally, if I wanna look anywhere near like I dont have a sausage where my chest is, a V-neck is sort of a must. And that leads to a little bit of cleavage usually. So yes, to me it is a must.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Personally, if I wanna look anywhere near like I dont have a sausage where my chest is, a V-neck is sort of a must. And that leads to a little bit of cleavage usually. So yes, to me it is a must.

Speaking strictly at work perspective, this shouldn't matter. Who cares if you have sausage-chest-without-cleavage-syndrome? You're there to do work, not look good.

But people spend much of their time at work.. some 60-80 hours a week! Much more time than they spend at home.. I say, if something like clothing, fashion, and looks is important to you, then the work place is a necessity for that.. It is where you spend a lot of your waking hours. And most people don't always change work clothes the instant they get home.. They go out to dinner, grocery shop, consolidate trips. I'm expected to be completely modest 100% of the time just because someone else had a bad experience and it'd be better for women overall somehow to be more modest at work? @_@ I just don't get it... What if the person I am trying to impress is my dear husband, who I am going to dinner with after work? Do I owe everyone an explanation for every single time that I dress in anything less than Jane Eyre attire?

I wonder if the people who disdain cleavage at work also really dislike people dressed slouchy and slobbish because, that too could be perceived as unprofessional... even though the slobbish clothing could cover every bit of flesh and is even unflattering to the female body. Is tight clothing worse than well-fitting clothing with cleavage? Is it okay for flat-chested girls to wear whatever they want because they don't have anything anyways? If you're size DD, are you just doomed and fuck you if you want to dress nicely?

... I never realized people put so much thought into the appearances of others. I couldn't tell you what any of my friends were wearing yesterday, nor my co-workers, even though we all tend to wear the same things. I couldn't tell you what I was wearing the day before yesterday. It seems like its just too much... Id have gray hairs by now if I worried about clothes this damn much, moreless what other people's clothes were.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I hear ya K, on most that you wrote. But yeah, for me to spend 80 percent of my time feeling self-conscious about the way I look isnt exactly beneficial to my work-flow. And for that matter...I find people stare more with the 'sausage' effect, coz they cannot figure out what the hell is going on. Oddly I look top-heavy but pretty good in a turtleneck, but that gets me stared at ten times more than a simple v-neck that doesn't go overboard....coz it looks natural on me.

Though that silly fashion thread of mine might give you a different idea, I actually am not hung up on clothes and make up, but I do notice it when people stare at me, and I dont exactly like it, especially not when they react negatively to my appearance (this is why i :heart: the internet, looks are a serious non-issue here)

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Shortish neck, ample bossom...V-necks tend to look most natural on me. Otherwise I look like Im getting strangled by fabric and my chest has merged into one :D

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Please someone tell me what a sausage boob is! This is a thing?

Eta. Ah. monoboob. Ty.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Please someone tell me what a sausage boob is! This is a thing?

Eta. Ah. monoboob. Ty.

:laugh: Yeah, I sort of assumed it was a monoboob because the other idea in my head was just wacky.. :smile:

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Speaking strictly at work perspective, this shouldn't matter. Who cares if you have sausage-chest-without-cleavage-syndrome? You're there to do work, not look good.

But people spend much of their time at work.. some 60-80 hours a week! Much more time than they spend at home.. I say, if something like clothing, fashion, and looks is important to you, then the work place is a necessity for that.. It is where you spend a lot of your waking hours. And most people don't always change work clothes the instant they get home.. They go out to dinner, grocery shop, consolidate trips. I'm expected to be completely modest 100% of the time just because someone else had a bad experience and it'd be better for women overall somehow to be more modest at work? @_@ I just don't get it... What if the person I am trying to impress is my dear husband, who I am going to dinner with after work? Do I owe everyone an explanation for every single time that I dress in anything less than Jane Eyre attire?

I wonder if the people who disdain cleavage at work also really dislike people dressed slouchy and slobbish because, that too could be perceived as unprofessional... even though the slobbish clothing could cover every bit of flesh and is even unflattering to the female body. Is tight clothing worse than well-fitting clothing with cleavage? Is it okay for flat-chested girls to wear whatever they want because they don't have anything anyways? If you're size DD, are you just doomed and fuck you if you want to dress nicely?

... I never realized people put so much thought into the appearances of others. I couldn't tell you what any of my friends were wearing yesterday, nor my co-workers, even though we all tend to wear the same things. I couldn't tell you what I was wearing the day before yesterday. It seems like its just too much... Id have gray hairs by now if I worried about clothes this damn much, moreless what other people's clothes were.

Oh, no. I don't give a shit about what other women are wearing. I was saying that I wouldn't personally choose to do it because it seems like you lose more than you gain when you do. So since it's neither necessary nor practical I simply wouldn't.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
II havnt read any other posts, but i am all for more cleavage at work

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

You are talking too much. I think you need a boob in your mouth to shut you up. :pacifier: