User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

It makes sense for work environments to have some sort of policy for how people dress. My line of work makes anything remotely revealing inappropriate - when it is teaching and hospital work. I also care a lot about being taken seriously and have found in professional environments that men don't stay in "idea space" with me as much as with other men. They end up talking about their wives and girlfriends and relational ideas. It is strange to me, but that is what happens, and I smile and nod, but don't have anything to say about that. I also have gotten hit on completely without provocation at conferences even when dressed very conservatively. It is just too hard to be seen without gender reference and dressing sexy could only exacerbate that issue. I want to interact in idea space professionally and so would not wear anything to distract anyone away from that.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I think women+cleavage+work= awesome

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    I think in theory, most guys are
    Yes, but i could pull it off without a hitch and wouldnt even come close to a disaster. I will wear tanktops in return.
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by _Poki_ View Post
    Yes, but i could pull it off without a hitch and wouldnt even come close to a disaster. I will wear tanktops in return.
    Ohhh....

I'm so game.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I wasn't showing any skin but I believe I got the job I have now because of something like this. My boss asked me if I was cold during the interview because I must've had nipple action going on due to the air conditioning blowing in the place. I didn't even realize this until he asked. Embarrassing. I always wear padded bras now.
    There was one college professor who allegedly used to turn the AC way down before class in a several-hundred stadium-seat lecture hall.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    It makes sense for work environments to have some sort of policy for how people dress. My line of work makes anything remotely revealing inappropriate - when it is teaching and hospital work. I also care a lot about being taken seriously and have found in professional environments that men don't stay in "idea space" with me as much as with other men. They end up talking about their wives and girlfriends and relational ideas. It is strange to me, but that is what happens, and I smile and nod, but don't have anything to say about that. I also have gotten hit on completely without provocation at conferences even when dressed very conservatively. It is just too hard to be seen without gender reference and dressing sexy could only exacerbate that issue. I want to interact in idea space professionally and so would not wear anything to distract anyone away from that.
    My thoughts exactly (though I never get stuck hearing about relationships and shit...thankfully dudes know I'll make fun of them/drift off.)
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Why do I get the sneaking suspicion that nobody actually cares about this stuff after highschool or maybe college and there's just this silly game where people claim to have irresistible urges and must ogle each other because they want their youth back when they were virile/nubile and actually got a boner from looking at someone.
    It's for one's own good [if you're male]
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Cleavage-wielding women seem to get in more trouble at work than those who stay covered up, I will say that. Or get their co-workers into more trouble. I know of three, and two of them sued, and one of them quit. If I want the girls to talk for me, I do the sheer bra, light, drapey top, nipple-through-the-clothes reveal, and develop really great posture. It works just as well, and nobody can report you to personnel.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Personally I am pretty hourglass, and I usually look doofy in high-necked clothing - and I often find it uncomfortable since many shirts are not made to accommodate much chest, and pull in awkward places - plus high necks are hot and itchy! For work I like boat neck shirts a lot, since they're loose but not very revealing. Usually outside of work I like to let it peek just a little bit... and home is where I'll wear my comfy super low tops, lol. In general I just find it less appealing to wear revealing clothes at work - I'm focusing on my tasks at hand and want to have the most ease at doing that, and not have to keep an eye on my outfit!

On a theoretical level, the issue ticks me off a little, because the underlying thought process seems to be that if men, specifically, see cleavage, it might detract from their ability to do their work well. It raises the oddity of how in general men's chests are acceptable to be seen but women's are not, but curiously at work men's chests are not to be seen while women can sometimes get away with cleavage. It's just a whole mixing pot of bizarre inequalities, topped off by making women somehow responsible for men's sexual reactions. Plus the obvious heterosexual bias underlying the whole thing...

As for utilizing cleavage, I think that it's a delicate operation. You really have to be careful about your audience, and I think, like Tilty described, there are safer ways of making yourself look attractive without risking having the exact opposite effect of what you were intending.

Seems to me like people are overly stressed out about bodies. I wish we could all be more comfortable with the naked human body. Funny how it's so taboo when everyone has one and everyone's seen one.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    I find there is a very big difference between dressing up the girls in a party top and ensuring maximum focus being drawn there, and a bit of cleavage in a work shirt.

One is meant to signal you are in an approachable mood, while the other one is just..well, being feminine and feeling good in your body, I feel. Kind of like the way that suits show off a mans shoulders. It just accentuates the aesthetic lines of his body, and as theirs happens to be rectangular usually, and ours happens to be more curvy, different things are going to look better on us
    So THAT'S what the styles are supposed to mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Maybe because if nobody played the game, the game would end? Who creates "the system" if not the players?
    Men are expected to dress modestly in the workplace. The don't stride about in assless chaps draping themselves over the water-cooler to get ahead. Why should there be a different standard of modesty for women?
    Exactly. The players may not have created the system, but it certainly cannot survive without their complicity.

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Its easy to say that though, and less easy to do it. Not everyone is a crusader going for the big picture. I don't think I blame the people that did not participate in the civil rights rallies because they needed their job to feed their families. I don't blame people that don't donate to world hunger relief companies while they buy groceries themselves. People pick and choose their battles with the world.
    Some people don't choose anything, but live with their head in the sand, and simply reap the rewards of everyone else's effort and risk-taking. The fact that you can't do everything doesn't justify doing nothing. If everyone picked just one area and gave it their best effort, the world would be a better place. We don't need everyone to stop playing the gender game at work, or to attend the civil rights rally, for progress to occur, but if I can count those who do on one hand, it probably won't. Moreover, once the first few start, others are often more willing to join in, since they won't be alone, and the trail has been blazed.

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    On a theoretical level, the issue ticks me off a little, because the underlying thought process seems to be that if men, specifically, see cleavage, it might detract from their ability to do their work well. It raises the oddity of how in general men's chests are acceptable to be seen but women's are not, but curiously at work men's chests are not to be seen while women can sometimes get away with cleavage. It's just a whole mixing pot of bizarre inequalities, topped off by making women somehow responsible for men's sexual reactions. Plus the obvious heterosexual bias underlying the whole thing...
    Yes, there is definitely a double standard about attire and bodily exposure. Assuming, for the sake of discussion, that no form of dress creates distraction in the workplace, and that all workers choose their individual style based on what makes them feel comfortable and by implication more productive: why do women's preferred styles tend to involve so much more exposed skin than men's? I don't mean just cleavage/neck, but arms and legs as well (and feet - women seem to wear sandals much more often at work) I have long wondered that.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...