User Tag List

MBTI
    yupp

Default interesting article on busyness

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...the-busy-trap/

I think that people do put too much on themselves, and not all of it's needed. yes having a job and paying rent is a neccesity but taking dance lessons because you're "suppose" to keep busy, really just adds stress that is not needed. if you're feeling stressed, maybe there's something that you can cut back. I'm not talking about people who work 3 minimum wage jobs to make ends meet, because that's different.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Yeah I like to do things, but I don't like to have too much on my plate. No enjoyment in that!
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sp
    Socionics
    INTp

Society also tries to demand this of people, look at the people who tell other people to volunteer if they are unemployed (so they look like they were busy). The industrial revolution has not freed people (since 1969 an average of one month of work has been added to each workers schedule) it’s merely helped to enslave themselves to consumerism. Society’s acceptable addiction is the workaholic; their damage is overlooked due to the perception of helpfulness. Also why many people fail at their first attempt at retirement

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...the-busy-trap/

I think that people do put too much on themselves, and not all of it's needed. yes having a job and paying rent is a neccesity but taking dance lessons because you're "suppose" to keep busy, really just adds stress that is not needed. if you're feeling stressed, maybe there's something that you can cut back. I'm not talking about people who work 3 minimum wage jobs to make ends meet, because that's different.
    Doing nothing and having nothing to do stresses me more, I like to have things to do and to meet new people and to develop things. Although if its not working out nix it for sure and feel no obligation, for instance I joined an archery club, for me they werent easy to talk to and all prefered their own company to that of new members eager to be part of things, so I nixed it, didnt darken their door, means I pretty much cant do archery which I was interested in but so what? Didnt feel like I had to go back either.

Chalk that up and instead joined a gym, much better. Still engaged, still productive and no excuses about being bored.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I liked the article.

I think it's talking more about being addicted to the idea of being busy for fear of self-loathing in the absence of activity than about actually having shit to do. If you can be meaningfully busy, that's great. But if you're keeping busy to look for meaning, then you're probably on the wrong track.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I like the article too. I've been thinking a lot about workaholics lately and I just read some articles on that too so this fits nicely into my information cache.

Senor Membrae Eugene Watson VIII's Avatar
    MBTI
    iSFP
    Enneagram
    idk sp

It's good to be busy, but sometimes you forget about days of tiredness/illness ahead of you and what would happen to you and your obligations if you were absent. It's also just good to chill out
    Myers-Briggs: xsFP

Enneagram: 9?-4wX?-5/6

~ People don't think it be like it is, but it do. ~

garbage

Yeah, this is one of those ideas that really needs to spread and gain awareness.

It's 'virtuous' to be busy, and it 'feels good' to be productive, but we end up exhausted and stressed out. We tend to think that 'busy' means effective, meaningful, and worthwhile.

How much of what we do is actually worth the effort? How often do we go off on some meaningless and stressful tangent because we haven't taken the time to get centered? How much do we love saying that we have to do such-and-such a thing?