• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

interesting article on busyness

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/30/the-busy-trap/

I think that people do put too much on themselves, and not all of it's needed. yes having a job and paying rent is a neccesity but taking dance lessons because you're "suppose" to keep busy, really just adds stress that is not needed. if you're feeling stressed, maybe there's something that you can cut back. I'm not talking about people who work 3 minimum wage jobs to make ends meet, because that's different.

gromit

likes this
Yeah I like to do things, but I don't like to have too much on my plate. No enjoyment in that!

Snoopy22

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Society also tries to demand this of people, look at the people who tell other people to volunteer if they are unemployed (so they look like they were busy). The industrial revolution has not freed people (since 1969 an average of one month of work has been added to each workers schedule) it’s merely helped to enslave themselves to consumerism. Society’s acceptable addiction is the workaholic; their damage is overlooked due to the perception of helpfulness. Also why many people fail at their first attempt at retirement

Lark

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/30/the-busy-trap/

I think that people do put too much on themselves, and not all of it's needed. yes having a job and paying rent is a neccesity but taking dance lessons because you're "suppose" to keep busy, really just adds stress that is not needed. if you're feeling stressed, maybe there's something that you can cut back. I'm not talking about people who work 3 minimum wage jobs to make ends meet, because that's different.

Doing nothing and having nothing to do stresses me more, I like to have things to do and to meet new people and to develop things. Although if its not working out nix it for sure and feel no obligation, for instance I joined an archery club, for me they werent easy to talk to and all prefered their own company to that of new members eager to be part of things, so I nixed it, didnt darken their door, means I pretty much cant do archery which I was interested in but so what? Didnt feel like I had to go back either.

Chalk that up and instead joined a gym, much better. Still engaged, still productive and no excuses about being bored.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I liked the article.

I think it's talking more about being addicted to the idea of being busy for fear of self-loathing in the absence of activity than about actually having shit to do. If you can be meaningfully busy, that's great. But if you're keeping busy to look for meaning, then you're probably on the wrong track.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I like the article too. I've been thinking a lot about workaholics lately and I just read some articles on that too so this fits nicely into my information cache.

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's good to be busy, but sometimes you forget about days of tiredness/illness ahead of you and what would happen to you and your obligations if you were absent. It's also just good to chill out

G

garbage

Yeah, this is one of those ideas that really needs to spread and gain awareness.

It's 'virtuous' to be busy, and it 'feels good' to be productive, but we end up exhausted and stressed out. We tend to think that 'busy' means effective, meaningful, and worthwhile.

How much of what we do is actually worth the effort? How often do we go off on some meaningless and stressful tangent because we haven't taken the time to get centered? How much do we love saying that we have to do such-and-such a thing?

:(