User Tag List

First 6789 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    I don't really have anything to respond with. You make some good points.

If you homeschooled (as I have always done), you might see more benefit than risk/liability in it.

I know it is superior to our educational system, at least for grade school. We seem to do a better job with high school, but it depends on the school systerm.
    Thanks for the interesting discussion, and for sharing your perspective. There are probably regional trends or tendencies in homeschooling, so I am seeing mostly the flavor in my locale.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

My second cousin who is 20 yrs older than me fathered another kid in 1995 by his really young second wife. All of his 3 kids before that kid were born in 1975, 77, 79 and all of them went to public school. His last kid is now 17 and was "supposed" to be home-schooled but they didn't do much of anything to teach him. The last time I saw him he was 13 and I doubt he could even read on a 1st grade level.

I'm not against home-schooling , I think it has more to do with how serious the parents are about teaching. The only thing they were concerned about was keeping him out of public school because the area they lived in had developed some extremely bad gang problems in school that had shootings a lot and they wanted to protect their son. I never got to know my 2nd cousin's very last kid who was home-schooled , but the one who was born in 1979 dropped out in the 7th grade and is doing really good now, I think mostly because he's ESTP and very extroverted, he was my favorite cousin.

I remember my ESTP cousin who dropped out in the 7th grade knew a girl his age that was home-schooled up until the time she was 14 and wanted to go to high school and got straight A's and even graduated a year early. It all depends on the parents is how I see it.

Banned
    MBTI
    SEXY
    Enneagram
    hot
    Socionics
    body

no nonoonononononononononono
    NO!!!!
    Homeschooling is horrible. I hate it.
    Public schooling teaches important things about life home school wont. Like how to interact with other people in this world. Basic conversation skills. How to make friends. Etc..

I've been home schooled since I was born till 9th grade.
    High school was very awkward being the only 9th grader who didn't know what a blow job was and wasn't interested in dating at all. Most conversations I had ended with really weird looks. I didn't catch up socially at all. I still have trouble in social matters.

My siblings went to public schools and they do just fine with people.

Seriously. I don't suggest home school to anyone.

Banned
    MBTI
    SEXY
    Enneagram
    hot
    Socionics
    body

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    My sisters and I have been brainstorming ideas for their children's education.. I suggested homeschooling as there are some great programs out there and public education is such a mess now-a-days. I feel strongly on education.. But they think homeschooling is too difficult and they won't be able to properly teach their kids. They are also worried about the lack of social interaction.. Which I think could be fixed by enrolling them into sports, independent art schools, etc.

If you homeschooled, did you find it intimidating? Did you warm up to it quickly? And most of all, would you recommend it?

If you were homeschooled, can you detail if you liked it or not? Did it benefit your education overall? If you went to college, did it help or hinder you getting in? Did you feel you were educated just as well as your peers?
    I was called the smart weird kid when I got to high school. My home school education was apparently better than the public education. I was still very socially awkward and still have issues with socializing to this day. People say things to me about social situations that seem rather basic that I just don't fucking get a lot of times.

I wasn't interested in relationships for a while, and by the time I was I was far behind the curve. Even now I'm not really aware if I'm flirting or if people are flirting with me. So I just forget about it and find other things to do... Relationships [romantic and friendly] are something I have little to no control over. Which made me very depressed in college.

I was enrolled in sports while in home school. I only saw those kids at practice.

Initially I suggested not to do it. But really you just need to find some social group for the kids to be part of. Make sure they're in a nice neighborhood where they can meet other kids. And don't fucking move!!! Especially not frequently. That shit sucks. They'll lose all their friends and have to make new ones again. A lot of people I know seem to be very happy with their long term childhood friend they've known since they were 4.

Really you just gotta make sure there's some people they can play with and hang out with. Get crushes on whomever, learn how to interact and what's okay, not cool, and just plain weird.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

@Ricin

They're good points.. I've been contemplating a lot of the responses I've gotten here. I think a hybrid is probably the best option.. Especially with early education, having their days at school supplemented with home-school hours would be good.. when they're older, a saturday or sunday out of the week and an hour of concentrated effort into a curriculum could put some pressure on the kid, but they'd get the social life and break from the house of public school while still having some control over their education. Maybe in high school start to get some professional help via tutoring sessions to challenge the children instead of leaving it up to me since education will probably change drastically by then.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFP

I haven't read this whole thread, so this may have been touched on already, anyhow... ANY schooling, public, Montessori, or otherwise, can be beneficial if the parents are involved. Homeschooling can be great, but should not be used as a cop-out by parents.

Also the personality of the youngster is good to take into account as some need more socialization than others. This need CAN be met though homeschooling, but needs to be paid attention to. I believe I would have benefited from homeschooling during a certain period due to extreme peer issues. (I survived without it though.)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Kyuuei, I'm super excited about this website right now:

http://www.khanacademy.org/

I saw the founder on a TED talk ("I was watching TED talks before they were cool," lol) and I plan to use them with my kids. Their school is excellent but sometimes I wonder how far they could go if they were truly self-paced.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Thank you for the recommendation I'll check into it for sure.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ricin View Post
    I was called the smart weird kid when I got to high school. My home school education was apparently better than the public education. I was still very socially awkward and still have issues with socializing to this day. People say things to me about social situations that seem rather basic that I just don't fucking get a lot of times.
    If you have read the whole thread, you will know that I am no fan of homeschooling. Developing a "social deficit", however, is the least of one's worries. First, it is very easy to compensate for this through outside activities and even homeschool co-ops. Second, a huge amount of that social interaction is vastly overrated, and you are just as well without it. I attended typical public schools for K-12, and deliberately kept myself out of the social scene because it was superficial, petty, and a drain of the time and energy that I preferred to direct toward other pursuits. You don't have to have a homeschooling background to be considered the "smart, weird kid" in high school. With the benefit of many years of hindsight now, I am reassured that was the right approach.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by WoodsWoman View Post
    I haven't read this whole thread, so this may have been touched on already, anyhow... ANY schooling, public, Montessori, or otherwise, can be beneficial if the parents are involved. Homeschooling can be great, but should not be used as a cop-out by parents.

Also the personality of the youngster is good to take into account as some need more socialization than others. This need CAN be met though homeschooling, but needs to be paid attention to. I believe I would have benefited from homeschooling during a certain period due to extreme peer issues. (I survived without it though.)
    This.