User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    My sisters and I have been brainstorming ideas for their children's education.. I suggested homeschooling as there are some great programs out there and public education is such a mess now-a-days. I feel strongly on education.. But they think homeschooling is too difficult and they won't be able to properly teach their kids.
    That depends. It can be a great thing, but I wouldn't recommend it for everybody. There are a variety of resources out there for parents.

They are also worried about the lack of social interaction.. Which I think could be fixed by enrolling them into sports, independent art schools, etc.
    I had friends from church and the homeschool group, plus I wrestled for a few years.

If you were homeschooled, can you detail if you liked it or not? Did it benefit your education overall? If you went to college, did it help or hinder you getting in? Did you feel you were educated just as well as your peers?
    As far as I can tell it was the right thing to do. I had learning disabilities and public school probably would have killed me. In some ways I feel my education was better than that of many of my peers. As far as college stuff, that's on hold right now due to multiple chronic health problems.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I would be the first to say that it really depends on the parent and the circumstances for this to be effective.
    You make a lot of very good ponts. I think home schooling is probably a great option in some circumstances. I'm sure your experience was great. You are probably an example of a person who would be phenomenal at this. Teachers teach for a living. So presumably they have to develop some competence by virtue of their work experience. I agree with you that the schooling is only a small part of what would help someone to be a good teacher. I just think it is overly idealistic for the average person to think this is something they could do a good job at. The reality is that if you lack experience in something, you will make mistakes and experimenting on your children in my view may not be particularly wise.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I think it's worse for new teachers to be experimenting on other people's children, 30 at a time!

MBTI
    ISTx

I and my siblings home schooled on and off, up through high school. I think so long as there are social outlets, kids that home school should be fine. Obviously the parents teaching should take their job/role seriously to ensure the kids are being educated properly/thoroughly. I wouldn't home school my own kids in high school. The course work is too advanced, and I just think kids that are basically young adults need to be out there in the world dealing with peers/teachers/people outside of the family on the regular.

All kids are different, and I think it would be best to test different options to see what works best for them, and what they thrive on more. Try home schooling, public options, private, whatever. Find a good fit.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I think it's worse for new teachers to be experimenting on other people's children, 30 at a time!

But don't they get evaluated on their performance?

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Very little. Depends on the school. After the first year you may get evaluated once every few years, that's it. It's pretty loose unless they have reason to believe that you are doing an abyssmal job. Usually a first year in any new district is supposed to warrant at least one evaluation throughout the year, but in many cases admin is too busy. This year my administrator asked me to write my own report and he'd sign it! He said on the form that he'd based his evaluation on "informal visits" (I think the only time that he visited my classroom was once at lunch when the TV wasn't working!).

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Many public schools are clearly lacking, and many parents would do a better job teaching their kids at home. I can understand their motivation, and support their right to do so. Homeschooling, however, is just another instance of our expecting mothers to solve society's problems for free, rather than tackling them as a society, as we should do. When you consider the work time that must be given up to homeschool, private school starts to look more affordable. Now add to this that homeschooling takes out of the public school system some of the families who are most involved and who most value education. Yes, there are times when homeschooling is the best option for a specific child, perhaps as a temporary measure, but it weakens our broader system of education.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    There are catholic schools, its odd to hear about a homeschooled catholic, although I know about homeschooling being congruent with victims of abuse or fostered kids because there's little option, they refuse to attend.
    I know several Catholic homeschooling families in the US. They use online curricula designed for Catholic homeschoolers, and belong to some sort of local educational cooperative where a number of families get together and bring in outside experts/speakers to present some of the lessons on more advanced material.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    That being said, there is no standard for home schooling. I can only reflect on how I was raised, which was by atheist parents who were very anti-agenda and generally lived in the-middle-of-no-where rural PA. I've certainly seen home schooled kids who fared much worse than me.
    Now at least some states have standards for homeschoolers - tests they must pass, and subjects that must be taught. I live in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    A word about socialization. I will admit this is a serious pet-peeve of mine. I don't know where people get this idea that if a child is homeschooled, they are going to become some socially inept adult. Socialization doesn't equal being placed in a classroom setting with same age kids. It means getting kids out, letting them live in the real world, interacting with many types of people. Homeschooling doesn't just take place 'at home'. It's also going to depend on the child. Plenty of people attend public and private schools and still turn out to be a socially awkward adult. I think this kind of thing is inborn. When people are socially awkward, it doesn't matter how they were schooled. It means that the parents didn't recognize it and didn't do enough to help them out with it. Some people need this directly taught as a skill set.
    Yes. Homeschooled kids often spend more time with a broader variety of ages than those who attend standard school, and particularly more adult attention. These adults probably do better at modelling desired social behavior than do the students in an average school class. As Fidelia wrote:

In a social sense, it was positive, as I had frequent interactions with people my age through music and church events, but also had a lot of extended family, and intergenerational interaction, which people often don't get in a conventional school setting.
    One thing that I've really tried to emphasize to all of my public school parents is that no matter what system of education you use, parents ultimately need to be their child's "program directors". While it seems like a nice idea to be able to send a child somewhere to be educated (and this is what many parents would prefer!), there are a wide variety of administrations, schools, teachers, classroom dynamics, educational trends, curricula and individual children's personalities that go into the mix. If a parent wants their child to end up with a good education, they need to be actively involved and filling in gaps, supplementing information and offering practice and reinforcement at home for the ideas the child is exposed to at school whether they are using public, private or home-based educational programs!
    This goes back to my first comment. In most cases, the time and energy parents spend on homeschooling would be better invested in getting involved in their local schools to promote what is in the best interests of their children, and probably others as well.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Kyuuei, what are the primary objections with the kids' current educational setting? That may give us a better idea of some options that you may wish to explore? What things matter especially to the parents? What is their own work/time/educational situation like?

One thing that I've really tried to emphasize to all of my public school parents is that no matter what system of education you use, parents ultimately need to be their child's "program directors". While it seems like a nice idea to be able to send a child somewhere to be educated (and this is what many parents would prefer!), there are a wide variety of administrations, schools, teachers, classroom dynamics, educational trends, curricula and individual children's personalities that go into the mix. If a parent wants their child to end up with a good education, they need to be actively involved and filling in gaps, supplementing information and offering practice and reinforcement at home for the ideas the child is exposed to at school whether they are using public, private or home-based educational programs!
    The problem isn't the kids education.. rather their lack thereof. They're too young to be in school yet--1 and 2 about to be 2 and 3..we're going to try to put them in a church-sponsored education daycare sort of thing so that they can play with other kids mainly.. but we're trying to decide these issues before the kids start school officially.

Texas just released the STAAR test, to replace the TAKS.. English fail rate was 60%. Teachers being mandated to teach by the test didn't know how to teach this test because they hadn't really seen it and gotten to play around with it yet. Students were already so geared and TAKS oriented that STAAR was a wrench. thats 60% of the students going to a remedial learning class simply because the state decided the new test would be implemented without teachers or students able to fix it one way or the other.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Many public schools are clearly lacking, and many parents would do a better job teaching their kids at home. I can understand their motivation, and support their right to do so. Homeschooling, however, is just another instance of our expecting mothers to solve society's problems for free, rather than tackling them as a society, as we should do. When you consider the work time that must be given up to homeschool, private school starts to look more affordable. Now add to this that homeschooling takes out of the public school system some of the families who are most involved and who most value education. Yes, there are times when homeschooling is the best option for a specific child, perhaps as a temporary measure, but it weakens our broader system of education.
    I know this is awful to say, because Im huge on education and wanting the system to be fixed.. But if not doing my part in society means my nephews get better educated and don't have to play catch up with the rest of the world, I'd much rather.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

I homeschooling.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com