User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    GONE

BTW, @kyuueii there used to be a lot of parents who home school on the forum, but I think they may have stopped posting. :P

There is a really robust thread on the topic with personal anecdotes and specific info from like..2007...or 2008...if that helps (did you read it at the time?) you can dig it up.

Also @Qlip 's kids are home schooled.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post

I did know a girl in elementary school who ended up having to be home schooled because she was violent and had explosive emotional outbursts on a regular basis. She was an orphan from Russia who was adopted, and the other kids would whisper that she was crazy and shouldn't be trifled with because she was a "Russian hate child." She ended up running away from the school grounds one day and we never saw her again. The teacher eventually told us that she was going to be home schooled from now on.
    I want to adopt a Russian hate child.

You know, someday, when I'm mature enough to handle it and past my own childbearing years pretty much anyway.

Is that odd?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    BTW, there used to be a lot of parents who home school on the forum, but I think they may have stopped posting. :P

There is a really robust thread on the topic with personal anecdotes and specific info from like..2007...or 2008...if that helps (did you read it at the time?) you can dig it up.

Also Qlip's kids are home schooled.
    Ah, I may have to dig it up, it may have been slightly before my time here.

The charter school idea is a good one.. But isn't it extremely difficult to get into many of those? Lotteries and what not?
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Ah, I may have to dig it up, it may have been slightly before my time here.

The charter school idea is a good one.. But isn't it extremely difficult to get into many of those? Lotteries and what not?
    If one of your sis' kids get in, the rest have a much better chance of as well. Charter schools prefer to keep siblings together.

I worked at a charter school briefly and interacted with potential parents of students, it's best to spread your bets and apply as many schools as possible as well as sign up for public school. At some schools you go up in priority if you tried in a previous year. It also depends on the area.

The only warning is that charter schools are not necessarily better than public schools. So do homework.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    If one of your sis' kids get in, the rest have a much better chance of as well. Charter schools prefer to keep siblings together.

I worked at a charter school briefly and interacted with potential parents of students, it's best to spread your bets and apply as many schools as possible as well as sign up for public school. At some schools you go up in priority if you tried in a previous year. It also depends on the area.

The only warning is that charter schools are not necessarily better than public schools. So do homework.
    Truth. The quality of charters varies wildly. (Much like regular public schools.) I love the one our kids go to, and Thing 1 went to a different charter before this that I loved even more. But I've seen dozens of charters pop up and fail, and some that haven't failed are notoriously bad but succeed for what I consider to be shitty reasons (they focus almost entirely on cranking out good test scores).

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I taught a kid Sunday school who hadn't learned to read because her mom "didn't have time" to teach her. They were second graders

I Seriously considered it but decided to just move into a good school system.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I never attended school before college, so I'm as home-schooled as you're going to get.

I suppose a match a lot of the notions here about having social difficulties, but mainly just that I'm shy and nervous.

My performance intellectually does not appear to have been hurt by it at all. If I were the measure compared against public-schooled kids, I would in fact imply home schooling is better, because I got great grades in college and on three occasions the professor exempted me from the finals because it was basically statistically pointless. Of course, it's not just about getting good grades. There's no way to say this without it sounding like a dig against everyone who was public schooled, but I really feel that my ability to perform divergent and critical thinking was seriously aided by how I was educated. It struck me as interesting that my English professor said she'd had a few home schooled students and they were all very high performers, not just in terms of grades, but in terms of their ability to actually think about the material and discuss it.

Generally, public school also looks fairly miserable. It's debatable how much it would have made me a different person as opposed to how much it would just punished me for being the person I happen to be. I guess that's a question of temperament vs. culture.

That being said, there is no standard for home schooling. I can only reflect on how I was raised, which was by atheist parents who were very anti-agenda and generally lived in the-middle-of-no-where rural PA. I've certainly seen home schooled kids who fared much worse than me.

I would not recommend that anyone school their kids at home because I frankly have no idea what you'll be like as a parent or where you live.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    It'll give your kids a very special brand of grit and cynicism that I don't think you can get anywhere else.
    Oh?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

I agree with your perspective on public education and homeschooling, kyuuei. I wish I had been homeschooled myself. So much time is wasted at a public school. We homeschool, and currently the two kids will be starting 1st and 3rd grades. We go through a program which is actually a public school, and we don't have to pay for anything like the curriculum or books. A teacher advises, tutors, and administers tests, including standardized state tests. The kids visit with her about once every 2-4 weeks, and they enjoy the visits. There's also a separate homeschool co-op group we're part of which allows for additional learning, extracurricular things like field trips, picnics, and social interaction.

We tried one program when the oldest started kindergarten, but the curriculum (K12) was way too intense, especially for just kindergarten. It was also just silly that they had nearly every assignment involving using a computer in some way. (And, my career is software development. ) Homeschooling takes a year or two of adapting. It's important to consider the implications on the work and social aspects of the one doing the teaching too. It's best if there is a specific room or area of the house which can be used mostly for school.

I would recommend that anyone who has carefully considered everything homeschooling will involve, and who thinks it might work well for them and their kids to give it a try for a year.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    I agree with your perspective on public education and homeschooling, kyuuei. I wish I had been homeschooled myself. So much time is wasted at a public school. We homeschool, and currently the two kids will be starting 1st and 3rd grades. We go through a program which is actually a public school, and we don't have to pay for anything like the curriculum or books. A teacher advises, tutors, and administers tests, including standardized state tests. The kids visit with her about once every 2-4 weeks, and they enjoy the visits. There's also a separate homeschool co-op group we're part of which allows for additional learning, extracurricular things like field trips, picnics, and social interaction.

We tried one program when the oldest started kindergarten, but the curriculum (K12) was way too intense, especially for just kindergarten. It was also just silly that they had nearly every assignment involving using a computer in some way. (And, my career is software development. ) Homeschooling takes a year or two of adapting. It's important to consider the implications on the work and social aspects of the one doing the teaching too. It's best if there is a specific room or area of the house which can be used mostly for school.

I would recommend that anyone who has carefully considered everything homeschooling will involve, and who thinks it might work well for them and their kids to give it a try for a year.
    What is the program called that your children use? Maybe I can find a similar one in the Houston area.. Homeschooling was just brought up as a possibility, we're trying to brainstorm all of the options out there.

Private school is out of the question--I don't see how people afford it. $20,000 a year? @_@ It's insane. And thats base price!!

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Oh?
    Thanks for posting. I really am just concerned on the basis of "Which will the kids get a better education out of?" I don't mind taking rotations and helping out my sisters if homeschooling meant they'd get a better education.. We also considered public school with cram-schooling afterwards, but that costs money as well.