User Tag List

Thread: Decoding Job Descriptions

Plumage and Moult Array proteanmix's Avatar

Default Decoding Job Descriptions

I'm bored at work and am pretty sure I've plateaued on the learning curve.

I'm reluctant to start looking for a new job because it's stressful but I fear I'm growing complacent. I've been looking at job descriptions and based on my own experience in the concrete jungle. This time I hope to be more discriminating and wiser when I look for a job and not so desperate to leave that I take anything that's thrown at me.

So I'm looking for buzzwords and phrases and what they really mean. I've identified some, but I want to compile more.

1. Self-motivated/self-starter You won't receive much supervision or guidance; also implies like of structure within the organization
    2. Good communication skills Your coworkers are savage animals and the clients need to be potty trained
    3. Attention to detail Repetitive, unchallenging work
    4. Fast-paced environment: High turnover, train yourself
    5. Thinks outside the box You'll give them your ideas and they'll sit on it because no money's in the budget for that and yet the director is having lunch at the most expensive restaurant in the city every week on the company's dime
    6. Other duties as assigned Demand that statement be taken out! It will be your death!

INFj None

Flexible Schedule Your work hours and schedule will vary wildly with little notice.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Free-Rangin' Librarian Array Jae Rae's Avatar

Must be available to work occasional weekends. You will work every Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday morning.

Jae Rae
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.