User Tag List

First 123 Last

Senor Membrae Eugene Watson VIII's Avatar
    MBTI
    iSFP
    Enneagram
    idk sp

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    World domination should be at the top of the list, or should I say Ultimate Universal Domination!

INTPs don't care about world domination.

Mathematician
    Myers-Briggs: xsFP

Enneagram: 9?-4wX?-5/6

~ People don't think it be like it is, but it do. ~

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Isn't mental masturbation a job yet?
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    World domination should be at the top of the list, or should I say Ultimate Universal Domination!
    Really? I thought world domination was an NTJ thing.

At least, I don't get it. I would certainly like one of my creations or discoveries to have important on a world stage. But domination?

Also, the original source of this list, I believe, is an old version of "Do What You Are". I am not a big fan of that series. It turns Myers-Briggs into a stereotyping mechanism, and then uses the stereotypes to give career advise.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Well, I'm a translator and interpreter. Other INTPs I know in real life are: mathematician, science journalist, teacher

There are definitely jobs more fit than others, but I don't think it's always as clear cut as that. Two very different people might enjoy the same work for different reasons or appreciate different aspects of it.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Really? I thought world domination was an NTJ thing.

At least, I don't get it. I would certainly like one of my creations or discoveries to have important on a world stage. But domination?

Also, the original source of this list, I believe, is an old version of "Do What You Are". I am not a big fan of that series. It turns Myers-Briggs into a stereotyping mechanism, and then uses the stereotypes to give career advise.
    If it is domination of people like an emperor, that would be NTJ, but if it is domination of natural forces like an engineer, that would be NTP. Both types are interested in control, but the type of control differs.

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I work in a restaurant, model for artists, write, and aspire to perform on silks.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Well, I'm a translator and interpreter. Other INTPs I know in real life are: mathematician, science journalist, teacher

There are definitely jobs more fit than others, but I don't think it's always as clear cut as that. Two very different people might enjoy the same work for different reasons or appreciate different aspects of it.
    /idolizes

I remember when I dreamed of being an interpreter/translator. So cool.

Consider me a number seven. Hell yeah.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ism View Post
    /idolizes

I remember when I dreamed of being an interpreter/translator.
    I (day)dream about having a hand in the development of computer translation software that does a decent job. Decent AI-type algorithms that 'sit on top' of the SJ-type grunt processing. There's an analogy with voice recognition software: its context-sensitivity is still poor. So often, instructing 'correct that' throws up the actual dictated phrase at the top of the list of alternatives, in circumstances where quite rudimentary context-sensitivity (at the paragraph level or the page level rather than at the sentence level) would have put it on the page instead of on the list of alternatives.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mike5609 View Post
    I (day)dream about having a hand in the development of computer translation software that does a decent job. Decent AI-type algorithms that 'sit on top' of the SJ-type grunt processing. There's an analogy with voice recognition software: its context-sensitivity is still poor. So often, instructing 'correct that' throws up the actual dictated phrase at the top of the list of alternatives, in circumstances where quite rudimentary context-sensitivity (at the paragraph level or the page level rather than at the sentence level) would have put it on the page instead of on the list of alternatives.
    Last year an important media source published an article about a supposed breakthrough in CAT (computer aided translation) due to some new brute force approach that searched an enormous text corpus for parallels. So I went and asked a friend who is a computer linguist (and by now working on her PhD thesis in the field of CAT) if my job was still safe. She grinned and said not to worry, they weren't even anywhere near developing a decent translation software.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    ... a supposed breakthrough in CAT (computer aided translation) due to some new brute force approach that searched an enormous text corpus for parallels ... a friend who is a computer linguist (and by now working on her PhD thesis in the field of CAT) ... said ... they weren't even anywhere near developing a decent translation software.
    My instinct is that 'they' ARE near, but that they simply don't recognise the route they have to take to get there.

Contrast CAT with computer chess: for the latter, brute-force searching of an enormous (grandmaster) games-history corpus for parallels could only get the computer *near to* the best human efforts, not *ahead* of them. But for CAT, the nearer to best human efforts, the better! - there is no 'ahead'. So database searching *and context sensitivity* is surely the way forward with CAT.