User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 12

  1. #1
    Senior Member Wolfie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so
    Posts
    555

    Default How to do a million things?

    I'm INTP, 5w4, 4w5 SO.

    I have an almost debilitating need to do EVERYTHING, which results in me not progressing very far with anything. Has anyone else struggled with this?

    I am finally graduating with my bachelors next semester, but it took me 6.5 years to get through school because I kept changing my mind all the time. I finally decided to just go for something and finish because I realized that if I waited to find the perfect thing, I would probably just never decide. I have really no faith that I will ever feel so deeply passionate about one thing that I will be able to stop thinking about other things.

    My major is International Relations and I regret it all the time. I don't really know where to go, what to do after college. I don't really want to do anything related to that. I am psyching myself out and obsessing about possibilities. I really just don't know what to do with myself!!

  2. #2
    no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    what is it called when you have the debilitating need to do...

    ...nothing at all?



    edit: after reading past the first sentence, i'd say that we passed the advice deadline long ago. sounds to me like any guidance on this topic will serve no attainable end.
    but if you'll hear it anyway, my advice would be to go back to school, learn a high paying trade so that you can afford a lot of time off to do any or most of those million things.
    we fukin won boys

  3. #3
    I'm not Trunks
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    343

    Default

    -Imagination rules the world-

  4. #4
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,877

    Default

    When you mean everything, do you mean for a career? Of in life in general? I'd say if I were you, I would have picked the BROADEST and most vague degree plan ever and gone for that--then I could have taken a shit-ton of electives in everything and been a master in none.

    But seeing as how you're graduating, what makes you sure you cannot do that for a career? You could never retire from a place, and just bounce from job to job in various countries doing different things under the guise of international relations. Plenty of jobs just see a degree at all and like it, especially with so much outsourcing going on now-a-days. I don't think you're screwed either way. None of my jobs ever had anything to do with what I've learned, done in the past, or been taught.. they were fun, and interesting.

    Just find out what you want in that moment, and go for it. If you mean "Everything" like "I want to travel the world, and see antarctica, and eat a shark, and arm wrestle a dolphin" bucket list stuff, then I'd suggest you pick a career like.. maybe turning that international relations degree into a teaching one, so that you have all summer and winter holidays to run around and be a maniac.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  5. #5
    The High Priestess Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    14,655

    Default

    It does get better, ime. Often, your varied range of interests has one red thread going through it..however abstract. In my case, I tied my crazy cat obsession, with my need to learn foreign languages, with my interest in psychology and my interest in biology and the natural world back in to one central theme: I want to understand, aka communication.

    Once you know that, you can figure out which parts of each field it is that exactly interests you, to specialize in. Once thats in place, its a matter of gathering some experience to see in which way you like to engage in that main interest in as many ways as possible if you want, or if you want to specifically specialize in one particular field. For instance, with my interests you could select writing (which is a form of communication) as a medium, and I could write articles about all the other topics of communication, or pick one to specialize in and even get a specific extra degree in



    Find the common thread. Identify what medium you'd like to use to explore it further. Contemplate what kind of circumstances work with your personality (corporate ladder, freelancer, teacher,scientist,...), and after all that, you'll find it easier to decide if you want to stay a jack of all trades or specialize
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★





    "Harm none, do as ye will”

  6. #6
    Senior Member Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    316

    Default

    When you have the answer ... let me know *sigh*

    I'm 31 and I still haven't realized that I need to settle down into one secure job for the rest of my life.

    Sounds like a prison sentence whenever I think about it o.0

  7. #7
    Senior Member Wolfie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so
    Posts
    555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    It does get better, ime. Often, your varied range of interests has one red thread going through it..however abstract. In my case, I tied my crazy cat obsession, with my need to learn foreign languages, with my interest in psychology and my interest in biology and the natural world back in to one central theme: I want to understand, aka communication.

    Once you know that, you can figure out which parts of each field it is that exactly interests you, to specialize in. Once thats in place, its a matter of gathering some experience to see in which way you like to engage in that main interest in as many ways as possible if you want, or if you want to specifically specialize in one particular field. For instance, with my interests you could select writing (which is a form of communication) as a medium, and I could write articles about all the other topics of communication, or pick one to specialize in and even get a specific extra degree in



    Find the common thread. Identify what medium you'd like to use to explore it further. Contemplate what kind of circumstances work with your personality (corporate ladder, freelancer, teacher,scientist,...), and after all that, you'll find it easier to decide if you want to stay a jack of all trades or specialize
    This is great advice! You inspired me to make (another) attempt at creating some sort of framework to sort this out. I've always thought about how I might go about categorizing the things that appeal to me, finding common threads, crossing them with my personality type. I still haven't figured out quite how to do this. I have a lot of trouble organizing my thoughts because my mind is always going so quickly.

    And in response to an earlier question, I can visual myself in numerous careers, so it's not a "bucket list" type of thing. I wish it was!!

  8. #8
    The High Priestess Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    14,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    This is great advice! You inspired me to make (another) attempt at creating some sort of framework to sort this out. I've always thought about how I might go about categorizing the things that appeal to me, finding common threads, crossing them with my personality type. I still haven't figured out quite how to do this. I have a lot of trouble organizing my thoughts because my mind is always going so quickly.

    And in response to an earlier question, I can visual myself in numerous careers, so it's not a "bucket list" type of thing. I wish it was!!
    Incidentally, I saw you shared my enneagram, so I will post the list that was very accurate for me:

    Enneagram Professions

    I know that I want to do about 75 percent of the list in enneagram 4. Im also realizing that as fun as it is to study new shit, it takes unfortunately forever to master all of them, so I am multitasking (or trying to, i aint the greatest role model) and trying my hand at writing. I have a Masters in Translation (English, Dutch, Russian), so I was taught how to write and edit. Meanwhile I want to go back to school for a Psychology degree. I do yoga and dance as a hobby (as an NF my Se was never good enough to make it into a profession), the same goes for other creative stuff such as singing. Massage I will probably learn as well, and if given a chance, Id like to check out holistic stuff but it is not career material for me (more like 'spoil the boyfriend stuff' At the same time, it would be fun to have it as a back up degree so we'll see.) I still want to finish my degree in Animal Behaviorism and perhaps get one in Ethology. But all of that somewhat ties in with Psychology so Im happy to start there.

    ...you see, you aint alone


    I also realize that I like to have back-up options if I ever get bored. Meanwhile, I like the idea of writing about the stuff that Ive learned so far and hopefully will learn in the future. I already have a degree in (believe it or not) Rabbit and Cat behavioral therapy that I did on the side, providing me with writing material for now.The Masters in psychology and anything else I might learn will hopefully tie into that and provide me with endless inspiration. I am hesitant to work corporate ladder stuff. Freelance is the only way to go for me, as it will give me the freedom to be creative and work on what I want, have different endeavors going at the same time and meanwhile try out new stuff when you have one source of income established, while going back to school part-time
    It might also be worth mentioning that Im a tritype 497, and that in 9 and 7, you ll also find the suggestion for writer...so check out your tritype (I did not decide this based on this list, I just found it the other day, so ha, confirmation )

    Artist is also mentioned in the 7 and animals in the 9.

    It is stupid, but it made me feel more secure that I was going the right way


    Oh and last tip, try journalling to figure out the common thread. Just a small notebook and let your mind go nuts in it while you write it up without filtering. Ne is genius at hitting gold that way!
    (Or Pm me and we will do a soundboard session )
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★





    "Harm none, do as ye will”

  9. #9
    Senior Member Wolfie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so
    Posts
    555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Incidentally, I saw you shared my enneagram, so I will post the list that was very accurate for me:

    Enneagram Professions

    I know that I want to do about 75 percent of the list in enneagram 4. Im also realizing that as fun as it is to study new shit, it takes unfortunately forever to master all of them, so I am multitasking (or trying to, i aint the greatest role model) and trying my hand at writing. I have a Masters in Translation (English, Dutch, Russian), so I was taught how to write and edit. Meanwhile I want to go back to school for a Psychology degree. I do yoga and dance as a hobby (as an NF my Se was never good enough to make it into a profession), the same goes for other creative stuff such as singing. Massage I will probably learn as well, and if given a chance, Id like to check out holistic stuff but it is not career material for me (more like 'spoil the boyfriend stuff' At the same time, it would be fun to have it as a back up degree so we'll see.) I still want to finish my degree in Animal Behaviorism and perhaps get one in Ethology. But all of that somewhat ties in with Psychology so Im happy to start there.

    ...you see, you aint alone


    I also realize that I like to have back-up options if I ever get bored. Meanwhile, I like the idea of writing about the stuff that Ive learned so far and hopefully will learn in the future. I already have a degree in (believe it or not) Rabbit and Cat behavioral therapy that I did on the side, providing me with writing material for now.The Masters in psychology and anything else I might learn will hopefully tie into that and provide me with endless inspiration. I am hesitant to work corporate ladder stuff. Freelance is the only way to go for me, as it will give me the freedom to be creative and work on what I want, have different endeavors going at the same time and meanwhile try out new stuff when you have one source of income established, while going back to school part-time
    It might also be worth mentioning that Im a tritype 497, and that in 9 and 7, you ll also find the suggestion for writer...so check out your tritype (I did not decide this based on this list, I just found it the other day, so ha, confirmation )

    Artist is also mentioned in the 7 and animals in the 9.

    It is stupid, but it made me feel more secure that I was going the right way


    Oh and last tip, try journalling to figure out the common thread. Just a small notebook and let your mind go nuts in it while you write it up without filtering. Ne is genius at hitting gold that way!
    (Or Pm me and we will do a soundboard session )
    I'm not alone!

    I looked at the list and saw careers that I have been interested in pursuing. Same thing for the list for type 5. I am 5w4, 4w5. The problem with the I'm Going to Do Everything approach for me is that I get anxious about specializing. I become afraid that I will not advance enough in any career because I will never be focused and it results in me feeling unaccomplished. Also, going to school all the time is extremely expensive here in the USA, and I am not a schooling type. I like to learn independently.

    I couldn't imagine working a corporate type of job either. I would feel like I am being restrained! Freedom is really the most important thing to me. I like to do decide what I am doing at any given moment. I suppose a free-lance type of career would be great for me, or starting my own business. I love travel, too. I would love to just travel all the time! Maybe I'll take the leap and try travel writing..

    I will have to look up this tritype stuff you mentioned. And now that you've offered, I may send you a PM or two or fifty..

  10. #10
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I'm INTP, 5w4, 4w5 SO.

    I have an almost debilitating need to do EVERYTHING, which results in me not progressing very far with anything. Has anyone else struggled with this?

    I am finally graduating with my bachelors next semester, but it took me 6.5 years to get through school because I kept changing my mind all the time. I finally decided to just go for something and finish because I realized that if I waited to find the perfect thing, I would probably just never decide. I have really no faith that I will ever feel so deeply passionate about one thing that I will be able to stop thinking about other things.

    My major is International Relations and I regret it all the time. I don't really know where to go, what to do after college. I don't really want to do anything related to that. I am psyching myself out and obsessing about possibilities. I really just don't know what to do with myself!!
    Sounds like something I could have said. I needed 7 years for the bachelor.

    Besides that listen to Amargith, she can be very helpful !
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Similar Threads

  1. [NF] How to DO instead of THINKING
    By Gloriana in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 08-04-2010, 07:28 PM
  2. Replies: 144
    Last Post: 08-29-2009, 01:39 AM
  3. Early education and my endless search to do the "right" thing.
    By Tigerlily in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-07-2009, 03:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO