• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Accidentally "lied" on resume ... what now?

Rhapsody

MBTI Type
INFP
Well, this was a stupid, stupid mistake ... I have a job interview with a scientific news publication tomorrow. They asked me to fill out an employment application to bring in with me, and as I was doing that today, I realized that on the resume I originally sent them, I put down the wrong start month and YEAR for one of my previous jobs (I wrote 6/2009 instead of 7/2010). :doh: :doh: :doh: This makes it look like I worked in this job for two years instead of only one.

This wasn't intentional AT ALL; it was pure thoughtlessness and sloppiness on my part (which I know is really idiotic and bad enough as it is, but not nearly as bad as lying). I'm not sure what to do about it, though. The publication I'm interviewing with is going to do a background check, so I'm sure the discrepancy between my actual start date at this job and what's on my resume will come up.

It seems like the best course of action would be to give them an updated resume at the interview and explain that I made an enormously careless mistake. I know that people intentionally lie about their start dates all the time, though, so I'm not sure they'd even believe me that it was unintentional (and even if they did, I'm sure they'd be like, "wtf is wrong with this girl that she got a start date wrong by a year and a month" ... I mean, *I* don't even know how I messed up that badly, except that I am renowned for doing ridiculously ditzy things like this all the time). On the other hand, keeping quiet and hoping they don't notice seems futile.

Any advice/thoughts/experience with similar situations?

:cry:

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Omg don't do that unless they explictly ask you. Just look at how the whole economy is being run - corrupt bankers, clueless governments. Trying to be excessively honest even when you've done a completely unpurposeful mistake won't do you any good. Forget about your mistake and focus on the content of your interview. If they bring it up, act a bit clueless, ask them to show you your mistake, and eventually tell them you were wrong.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Call HR, and explain the mistake. It's easier to be forthright about an error and make your correction, than to be confronted with it and possibly taken for a dishonest applicant. Typos happen, it's understandable. Just fix it.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
It's a publication, so accuracy would seem expedient.

I would take an amended version of my resume and the application with me. When you hand them both over, say, "Yesterday when I was completing the application, I fact-checked an error in my own resume. This resume is my most current." Explain if asked, and smile about it, don't be all apologetic or anything, for heaven's sake don't say you were careless or make ditzy errors all the time, stay confident, and it won't be an issue unless you make it one.

I do think [MENTION=857]FDG[/MENTION] 's advice is good, except for the fact your INFP nervousness about the error will be oozing out of you ... and for the fact it's a writing job I presume.

Good Luck! :hug:

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
How much of a difference does it make? If the job was directly related to this new role (like working at a competitor)- then yeah it means something. But if it was at Burger Barn- maybe not. But since they are doing a background check, if you do mention it, just mention the year. There's only a 1 month discrepancy, and people get those mixed up all the time.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6

I would take an amended version of my resume and the application with me. When you hand them both over, say, "Yesterday when I was completing the application, I fact-checked an error in my own resume. This resume is my most current." Explain if asked, and smile about it, don't be all apologetic or anything, for heaven's sake don't say you were careless or make ditzy errors all the time, stay confident, and it won't be an issue unless you make it one.

I do think [MENTION=857]FDG[/MENTION] 's advice is good, except for the fact your INFP nervousness about the error will be oozing out of you ... and for the fact it's a writing job I presume.

I think the thread title says a lot about that. You didn't lie according to you saying it's a mistake. I would say it's no big deal other than that it's a publication. Maybe give them an "updated" resume with a few other changes to make it look like the update is about something other than your error. ;)

Philosorapteuse

right on the left wing
MBTI Type
INTP

Yeah, I like this solution. It's a reasonably graceful way of doing it. :hug: It happens to most people at some point!

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
How much of a difference does it make? If the job was directly related to this new role (like working at a competitor)- then yeah it means something. But if it was at Burger Barn- maybe not. But since they are doing a background check, if you do mention it, just mention the year. There's only a 1 month discrepancy, and people get those mixed up all the time.

InTJ without aspect ratio abilities?? It hurts me.

Rhapsody

MBTI Type
INFP
LOL. Yeah, my avatar is unfortunately very appropriate for this thread ...

Anyway, thanks for all the great advice everyone! The previous job is directly related to the one I'm interviewing for (to answer [MENTION=7469]IZthe411[/MENTION]) so I think I'll go the route [MENTION=5999]PeaceBaby[/MENTION] suggested ... that does seem like a good way to correct the mistake without making a huge deal out of it and drawing undue attention to it (and without oozing nervousness everywhere, which yes, I tend to do a lot of ;P). Whew! Feeling much calmer now. :D Thanks again!

xisnotx

Permabanned
It isn't a lie if there is no intent on your part to make another person believe something you know is false.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
PeaceBaby's advice is good--and I'd also just make a note when talking about that job that I worked there for a year. Casually--just like "In the year that I worked for..." so that you're honest in the interview (and it'll be on your updated resume) so that it's clear that you're not trying to be sneaky. :)

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would just call HR, no biggie.
Not really a lie, just an accident.

Jack427

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They're probably gonna hunt you down and slip a black bag over your head. At this point, they think such measures are the only way for you to tell the truth.