User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default Accidentally "lied" on resume ... what now?

Well, this was a stupid, stupid mistake ... I have a job interview with a scientific news publication tomorrow. They asked me to fill out an employment application to bring in with me, and as I was doing that today, I realized that on the resume I originally sent them, I put down the wrong start month and YEAR for one of my previous jobs (I wrote 6/2009 instead of 7/2010). This makes it look like I worked in this job for two years instead of only one.

This wasn't intentional AT ALL; it was pure thoughtlessness and sloppiness on my part (which I know is really idiotic and bad enough as it is, but not nearly as bad as lying). I'm not sure what to do about it, though. The publication I'm interviewing with is going to do a background check, so I'm sure the discrepancy between my actual start date at this job and what's on my resume will come up.

It seems like the best course of action would be to give them an updated resume at the interview and explain that I made an enormously careless mistake. I know that people intentionally lie about their start dates all the time, though, so I'm not sure they'd even believe me that it was unintentional (and even if they did, I'm sure they'd be like, "wtf is wrong with this girl that she got a start date wrong by a year and a month" ... I mean, *I* don't even know how I messed up that badly, except that I am renowned for doing ridiculously ditzy things like this all the time). On the other hand, keeping quiet and hoping they don't notice seems futile.

Any advice/thoughts/experience with similar situations?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Omg don't do that unless they explictly ask you. Just look at how the whole economy is being run - corrupt bankers, clueless governments. Trying to be excessively honest even when you've done a completely unpurposeful mistake won't do you any good. Forget about your mistake and focus on the content of your interview. If they bring it up, act a bit clueless, ask them to show you your mistake, and eventually tell them you were wrong.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ISTx

Call HR, and explain the mistake. It's easier to be forthright about an error and make your correction, than to be confronted with it and possibly taken for a dishonest applicant. Typos happen, it's understandable. Just fix it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

It's a publication, so accuracy would seem expedient.

I would take an amended version of my resume and the application with me. When you hand them both over, say, "Yesterday when I was completing the application, I fact-checked an error in my own resume. This resume is my most current." Explain if asked, and smile about it, don't be all apologetic or anything, for heaven's sake don't say you were careless or make ditzy errors all the time, stay confident, and it won't be an issue unless you make it one.

I do think @FDG 's advice is good, except for the fact your INFP nervousness about the error will be oozing out of you ... and for the fact it's a writing job I presume.

Good Luck!
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    INTJ

How much of a difference does it make? If the job was directly related to this new role (like working at a competitor)- then yeah it means something. But if it was at Burger Barn- maybe not. But since they are doing a background check, if you do mention it, just mention the year. There's only a 1 month discrepancy, and people get those mixed up all the time.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post

I would take an amended version of my resume and the application with me. When you hand them both over, say, "Yesterday when I was completing the application, I fact-checked an error in my own resume. This resume is my most current." Explain if asked, and smile about it, don't be all apologetic or anything, for heaven's sake don't say you were careless or make ditzy errors all the time, stay confident, and it won't be an issue unless you make it one.

I do think @FDG 's advice is good, except for the fact your INFP nervousness about the error will be oozing out of you ... and for the fact it's a writing job I presume.

Good Luck!
    I think the thread title says a lot about that. You didn't lie according to you saying it's a mistake. I would say it's no big deal other than that it's a publication. Maybe give them an "updated" resume with a few other changes to make it look like the update is about something other than your error.

right on the left wing Philosorapteuse's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post

Good Luck!
    Yeah, I like this solution. It's a reasonably graceful way of doing it. It happens to most people at some point!
    "A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices." --William James

I'd be a card-carrying sensotard, but I can't find the goddamn card.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    How much of a difference does it make? If the job was directly related to this new role (like working at a competitor)- then yeah it means something. But if it was at Burger Barn- maybe not. But since they are doing a background check, if you do mention it, just mention the year. There's only a 1 month discrepancy, and people get those mixed up all the time.
    InTJ without aspect ratio abilities?? It hurts me.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

refer to your avatar for a forecast.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INFP

LOL. Yeah, my avatar is unfortunately very appropriate for this thread ...

Anyway, thanks for all the great advice everyone! The previous job is directly related to the one I'm interviewing for (to answer @IZthe411) so I think I'll go the route @PeaceBaby suggested ... that does seem like a good way to correct the mistake without making a huge deal out of it and drawing undue attention to it (and without oozing nervousness everywhere, which yes, I tend to do a lot of ;P). Whew! Feeling much calmer now. Thanks again!