• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Should I go in the Navy?

stace_in_cali

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Hey all. I am just trying to get some opinions on this. Have always been fascinated with the military. I tried to go in the Army a couple years back but there were some issues with my processing. Anyhow. I am starting school. I will be about 30 when I finish. I have a son who is almost 2 and I have been with the same guy for 8 yrs. Basically we are poor, we have never even had a car lol. They pay alright and I can go in as an e-3 with my Bachelor's. I live in a rural area anyway where there are virtually no jobs. My boyfriend's sister is against it. She actually said "oh you're just going to leave your family, what you don't want your son?" It really pissed me off, I just want to provide for my family. My boyfriend doesn't work. He said he would marry me so I could enlist.

I also considered the other route of going in the Army as an officer. I would rather do Navy since there is virtually no chance of being KIA. I just worry how the deployments will affect my family (they average about 6 mo in the Navy) I just see it as a good way to get job experience after college. I have worked food service for 10 yrs and I find it doubtful I will get hired for a good job directly out of college.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Consider the Air Force. You won't get stuck for months on ships, and you have a good chance of spending your entire service stateside. The technical training is exceptional, so try to choose a specialty which you can transition readily to a civilian career later on. If you are just starting school, you might be able to get into ROTC and join as an officer (plus they will pay your tuition). If there is a detachment on campus, they can give you details.

Snoopy22

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I’d choose going in as an officer in any service over enlisted. Air Force, Navy, or Coast Guard over the other branches. Get into ROTC if attending college and start with a hitch (while in college) in the Guard, you can always transfer to active duty later.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Consider the Air Force. You won't get stuck for months on ships, and you have a good chance of spending your entire service stateside. The technical training is exceptional, so try to choose a specialty which you can transition readily to a civilian career later on. If you are just starting school, you might be able to get into ROTC and join as an officer (plus they will pay your tuition). If there is a detachment on campus, they can give you details.

Yes. If you're joining the military for the pay and benefits, the Air Force is the place to be and you should do ROTC.

The difference in lifestyle between being an officer in the Air Force and an E-3 in the Navy will be astounding.