User Tag List

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Default Should I go in the Navy?

Hey all. I am just trying to get some opinions on this. Have always been fascinated with the military. I tried to go in the Army a couple years back but there were some issues with my processing. Anyhow. I am starting school. I will be about 30 when I finish. I have a son who is almost 2 and I have been with the same guy for 8 yrs. Basically we are poor, we have never even had a car lol. They pay alright and I can go in as an e-3 with my Bachelor's. I live in a rural area anyway where there are virtually no jobs. My boyfriend's sister is against it. She actually said "oh you're just going to leave your family, what you don't want your son?" It really pissed me off, I just want to provide for my family. My boyfriend doesn't work. He said he would marry me so I could enlist.

I also considered the other route of going in the Army as an officer. I would rather do Navy since there is virtually no chance of being KIA. I just worry how the deployments will affect my family (they average about 6 mo in the Navy) I just see it as a good way to get job experience after college. I have worked food service for 10 yrs and I find it doubtful I will get hired for a good job directly out of college.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Consider the Air Force. You won't get stuck for months on ships, and you have a good chance of spending your entire service stateside. The technical training is exceptional, so try to choose a specialty which you can transition readily to a civilian career later on. If you are just starting school, you might be able to get into ROTC and join as an officer (plus they will pay your tuition). If there is a detachment on campus, they can give you details.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sp
    Socionics
    INTp

I’d choose going in as an officer in any service over enlisted. Air Force, Navy, or Coast Guard over the other branches. Get into ROTC if attending college and start with a hitch (while in college) in the Guard, you can always transfer to active duty later.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Consider the Air Force. You won't get stuck for months on ships, and you have a good chance of spending your entire service stateside. The technical training is exceptional, so try to choose a specialty which you can transition readily to a civilian career later on. If you are just starting school, you might be able to get into ROTC and join as an officer (plus they will pay your tuition). If there is a detachment on campus, they can give you details.
    Yes. If you're joining the military for the pay and benefits, the Air Force is the place to be and you should do ROTC.

The difference in lifestyle between being an officer in the Air Force and an E-3 in the Navy will be astounding.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Permabanned

It's always am option. Sometimes a good one.