User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: what if loops.

MBTI
    yupp

Default what if loops.

how do you stop these? because they've gotten to the point that i'm psyching myself out when i get ready to apply for jobs. I keep going what if they don't like me, what if i make them believe i can do the job, and i believe it, but can't so they fire me, what if they say no. what if what if what if. and these what if loops have a tendency to get so bad that i end up convincing myself the world is better off without me (I don't think that yet, but i might later)
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Just STOP. Your focus should be to apply for the job, not what if "so and so."

Sounds easier than I make it sound (because I have that habit at times too.)

The moment you start questioning, just stop. If the goal is to apply for the job, the focus should only be to apply for the job and nothing else.

The what-if scenarios can come when you are on the job, you may find that it isn't as bad as you make it seem.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    how do you stop these? because they've gotten to the point that i'm psyching myself out when i get ready to apply for jobs. I keep going what if they don't like me, what if i make them believe i can do the job, and i believe it, but can't so they fire me, what if they say no. what if what if what if. and these what if loops have a tendency to get so bad that i end up convincing myself the world is better off without me (I don't think that yet, but i might later)
    You sound like a 6. It sounds like you are trying to stop precipitory anxiety. In order to do this, I would recommend meditating or doing some other type of distracting activity before you go to the job interview. That's how I stop precipitory.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    Hmm. I tend to try to quiet those questions with "What is the worst thing that is likely to happen?" Usually it is something like "They'll say no." And then I try to follow it up with "and I'll go do something different."

I deal with quite a bit of anxiety (especially at night, especially if I'm really swamped and go to bed directly from a work mindset) and when it keeps me awake, I sometimes just use mantras. My favorite is "We are here to learn to endure the beams of love." Cheesy? Maybe. But I do stop freaking out and go to sleep.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I am a good match for my girlfriend because she thinks what if and I never do.

So my advice would be: find yourself entp help
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Permabanned

Look into so what loops

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

What if things go well? What if everybody loves you? What if you have a wonderful life ahead of you? What if life is beautiful? What if you just needed to realize it?
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Permabanned

^If you don't want to help, just say so...

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    what if she wanted and more importantly: so what ?
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    Just trying to offer an alternative perspective on the same situation. I know if someone is in a hard situation extreme positivity can sound false and self-serving especially if one struggles with depression (as I did for many years). I apologize if my remarks made anyone feel as though their task is even MORE daunting, that was definitely not my intention and I wish the best for @prplchknz

Think about this though. When the average man ejaculates about 300 million sperm are produced. The chance that your specific dna combination would emerge victorious is less than the chance of you winning the mega millions. Now you add the chance of your parents even meeting and wanting to procreate the chance that some alternative event in the billions of years history of the earth could have occured leading to different circumstances and you realize, YOUR WHOLE LIFE IS A STATISTICAL FLUKE! It's pretty fucking amazing, miraculous, and, quite frankly, ridiculous when you think about it. So, you already have beaten MASSIVE odds just to EXIST! Who is to say those odds cannot be beaten once more?
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.