• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Lost. Gave up Trying to Find Personality Type. Help please!

Hellius

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I've taken countless career quizzes, personality quizzes, and more, but after all this time I've found the consistency of such things to be dependent on either my mood at the time or the events and behaviors I've participated in most recently. Most regular personality on the MTBI scale was -NTJ.

The concept of "self-exploration" seems a bit foreign to me and asking me what I like to do is a little bit more complicated in my brain than it probably should be. I tend to know what I don't like more than what I do.

The concept of an apprenticeship and getting out to learn in a different environment than an academic one has been frequently attractive to me. I hate school. In my freshman year of high school I was consistently researching any sort of way out. Eventually I found an alternative exit and I was out by the end of my sophomore year.

When a teacher explains the steps to solve a math problem and neglects to explain the logic behind it, I have difficulty grasping the concept. If I don't leave the math class understanding the basics behind the concept, I cannot motivate myself to work through the homework; it feels like it would require intense, meticulous redundancy I don't have the time or the interest to work through. This goes back to a problem, I think, that stems from the feeling of pointlessness: through doing that homework, I don't feel like I'm accomplishing anything. I'm just wasting paper; I'm not seeing any results of my work. I'm not really solving a problem. I don't get that satisfaction that I accomplished something.

Second year in college I became president of the school's chapter of an international service organization and so far that has been one of the most productive and enjoyable experiences of my life. I feel drawn and attracted to the prospect of problem solving, putting my plans into action, and basically having the world as my sandbox.

I find myself irritated when subjected to a different organizational pattern, system, or structure and I often find myself thinking of ways to rework or rewire a given system for my own interpretation of maximum productivity.

On the spot, especially when trying to solve a problem with my club, I can come up with numerous different ways of solving an issue or problem.

I've written a lot as it is and I have some other things to do.

Hopefully you all can help me.

T

The Iron Giant

It sounds like your set type is probably correct to me. It may be time to start reading Jung, if you haven't already.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've taken countless career quizzes, personality quizzes, and more, but after all this time I've found the consistency of such things to be dependent on either my mood at the time or the events and behaviors I've participated in most recently. Most regular personality on the MTBI scale was -NTJ.

The concept of "self-exploration" seems a bit foreign to me and asking me what I like to do is a little bit more complicated in my brain than it probably should be. I tend to know what I don't like more than what I do.

The concept of an apprenticeship and getting out to learn in a different environment than an academic one has been frequently attractive to me. I hate school. In my freshman year of high school I was consistently researching any sort of way out. Eventually I found an alternative exit and I was out by the end of my sophomore year.

When a teacher explains the steps to solve a math problem and neglects to explain the logic behind it, I have difficulty grasping the concept. If I don't leave the math class understanding the basics behind the concept, I cannot motivate myself to work through the homework; it feels like it would require intense, meticulous redundancy I don't have the time or the interest to work through. This goes back to a problem, I think, that stems from the feeling of pointlessness: through doing that homework, I don't feel like I'm accomplishing anything. I'm just wasting paper; I'm not seeing any results of my work. I'm not really solving a problem. I don't get that satisfaction that I accomplished something.

Second year in college I became president of the school's chapter of an international service organization and so far that has been one of the most productive and enjoyable experiences of my life. I feel drawn and attracted to the prospect of problem solving, putting my plans into action, and basically having the world as my sandbox.

I find myself irritated when subjected to a different organizational pattern, system, or structure and I often find myself thinking of ways to rework or rewire a given system for my own interpretation of maximum productivity.

On the spot, especially when trying to solve a problem with my club, I can come up with numerous different ways of solving an issue or problem.

I've written a lot as it is and I have some other things to do.

Hopefully you all can help me.

How odd, based on your dislike of contextless things like math, that you are concerned with finding your personality type. But you seem more extroverted than introverted, so ENTJ.

Hellius

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
How odd, based on your dislike of contextless things like math, that you are concerned with finding your personality type. But you seem more extroverted than introverted, so ENTJ.

Finding my personality type isn't as interesting to me as finding a proper major or career path. Figuring out my personality type may lubricate the process a bit or give me a few directions to go, but overall I think I've spent way too much time trying to find a career that's a good match for me based on a mold I may fit into; plus or minus a few snags.

Filling out little bubbles has always been redundant and I don't feel like doing that anymore.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Finding my personality type isn't as interesting to me as finding a proper major or career path. Figuring out my personality type may lubricate the process a bit or give me a few directions to go, but overall I think I've spent way too much time trying to find a career that's a good match for me based on a mold I may fit into; plus or minus a few snags.

Filling out little bubbles has always been redundant and I don't feel like doing that anymore.

There are a few pages on career choices by type, such as:
http://www.entjpersonality.info/p/entj-careers-jobs.html
http://www.personalitypage.com/html/ENTJ_car.html

Hellius

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram

I read through the links you posted in the last reply and I can relate to a lot of the points, but my guess is that my understanding of myself is still somewhat blinded by my teenage soul-searching.

I thought about what you said in respect to mathematics and I tried framing the subject in an entirely different light. I came to the conclusion that it is a powerful, foundational course which anything can be built upon as it is the basis of the operation of the world and society. The psychological and intellectual development that (I assume) takes place during the major creates untold possibilities for the graduate.

The question I have, however, is whether or not I should bother. More introspection necessary.

Would you have any input?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I read through the links you posted in the last reply and I can relate to a lot of the points, but my guess is that my understanding of myself is still somewhat blinded by my teenage soul-searching.

I thought about what you said in respect to mathematics and I tried framing the subject in an entirely different light. I came to the conclusion that it is a powerful, foundational course which anything can be built upon as it is the basis of the operation of the world and society. The psychological and intellectual development that (I assume) takes place during the major creates untold possibilities for the graduate.

The question I have, however, is whether or not I should bother. More introspection necessary.

Would you have any input?

Above this you mentioned some things that you like and dislike. I would keep it simple. If you don't like pure math, then don't do it. If you liked being the president of a club, then try for some kind of leadership position.

You come across as the visionary type, especially with statements like "I can come up with numerous different ways of solving an issue or problem." You won't be satisfied with anything less than following your own vision, and this requires that you be the leader of it, whether you're the dean of a college or what-have-you. The only purpose for pursuing math would be for you to head a math department somewhere. If it requires leadership abilities and also the capacity for improving an organization, then pursue that.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50

If your interest is in finding the proper major or career path, there's only one way to find that out - trial and error.

It would be nice if things like personality theory were able to let us bypass that part, and sometimes, people are lucky and do, but doing the slog work of figuring it out on your own is the only fool-proof method.

Trunks

I'm not Trunks
Just be patience to find your personality types..If you want to achieve something, do it with a little patience, you maybe slow but you almost there..:)

ygolo

My termites win
If your interest is in finding the proper major or career path, there's only one way to find that out - trial and error.

It would be nice if things like personality theory were able to let us bypass that part, and sometimes, people are lucky and do, but doing the slog work of figuring it out on your own is the only fool-proof method.

+1

The era of simple answers regarding careers is over.

Those personality-based career (MBTI in particular) advice seem like total guesswork to me.

A lot of the things you read on the web were just placed on someone's website once because they thought it sounded good, and get copied and proliferated. The prevalence of information on the web does not make that information true.

Myers-Briggs, Jungian Functions, ennegram, socionics and the like are interesting ideas, and I believe they carry some truth to them, but I think their best uses are to expand your thinking and aid you in realizing that there is a diversity of perspectives in the world.

Books like "Do What You Are?" are, IMO, way too simplistic, especially for the modern era.

"What Color is your Parachute?" is probably better because it forces you to take stock...however, I think the "indicators" (even the Holland Codes, which I thought was one of the more useful ones) aren't really that helpful.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
There is this one extremely involved and expensive test that checks your APTITUDE for things rather than likes and dislikes. My friend who went to art school and is a jewelry designer highly recommends it. It's at least a few hundred dollars though and you have to go to a special testing center for it...wish I remembered the name of it...

I'm guessing you're still college aged or close to there. The good news is you pretty much have your whole 20s for trial and error and figure stuff out. With the economy and modern life opening up, people well into their 30s and 40s go back to school and change careers. My brother went to culinary school and most people were mid-career changers and up to their 40s and older, though there were also students in their early to mid 20s. In my real estate classes I have had people who are WELL into their senior citizen stage who were trying to pass the license exam. My friend became a nurse well into her 30s. etc.

Instead of focusing so much on perfection and finding the One and Only True job for you (just like looking for the One and Only True Love) focus instead on doing jobs and assignments and volunteer work as they come. Do what interests you and what speaks to you. You'll eventually figure out what you want to do, for now.