User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Lightbulb Lost. Gave up Trying to Find Personality Type. Help please!

I've taken countless career quizzes, personality quizzes, and more, but after all this time I've found the consistency of such things to be dependent on either my mood at the time or the events and behaviors I've participated in most recently. Most regular personality on the MTBI scale was -NTJ.

The concept of "self-exploration" seems a bit foreign to me and asking me what I like to do is a little bit more complicated in my brain than it probably should be. I tend to know what I don't like more than what I do.

The concept of an apprenticeship and getting out to learn in a different environment than an academic one has been frequently attractive to me. I hate school. In my freshman year of high school I was consistently researching any sort of way out. Eventually I found an alternative exit and I was out by the end of my sophomore year.

When a teacher explains the steps to solve a math problem and neglects to explain the logic behind it, I have difficulty grasping the concept. If I don't leave the math class understanding the basics behind the concept, I cannot motivate myself to work through the homework; it feels like it would require intense, meticulous redundancy I don't have the time or the interest to work through. This goes back to a problem, I think, that stems from the feeling of pointlessness: through doing that homework, I don't feel like I'm accomplishing anything. I'm just wasting paper; I'm not seeing any results of my work. I'm not really solving a problem. I don't get that satisfaction that I accomplished something.

Second year in college I became president of the school's chapter of an international service organization and so far that has been one of the most productive and enjoyable experiences of my life. I feel drawn and attracted to the prospect of problem solving, putting my plans into action, and basically having the world as my sandbox.

I find myself irritated when subjected to a different organizational pattern, system, or structure and I often find myself thinking of ways to rework or rewire a given system for my own interpretation of maximum productivity.

On the spot, especially when trying to solve a problem with my club, I can come up with numerous different ways of solving an issue or problem.

I've written a lot as it is and I have some other things to do.

Hopefully you all can help me.

The Iron Giant

It sounds like your set type is probably correct to me. It may be time to start reading Jung, if you haven't already.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Hellius View Post
    I've taken countless career quizzes, personality quizzes, and more, but after all this time I've found the consistency of such things to be dependent on either my mood at the time or the events and behaviors I've participated in most recently. Most regular personality on the MTBI scale was -NTJ.

The concept of "self-exploration" seems a bit foreign to me and asking me what I like to do is a little bit more complicated in my brain than it probably should be. I tend to know what I don't like more than what I do.

The concept of an apprenticeship and getting out to learn in a different environment than an academic one has been frequently attractive to me. I hate school. In my freshman year of high school I was consistently researching any sort of way out. Eventually I found an alternative exit and I was out by the end of my sophomore year.

When a teacher explains the steps to solve a math problem and neglects to explain the logic behind it, I have difficulty grasping the concept. If I don't leave the math class understanding the basics behind the concept, I cannot motivate myself to work through the homework; it feels like it would require intense, meticulous redundancy I don't have the time or the interest to work through. This goes back to a problem, I think, that stems from the feeling of pointlessness: through doing that homework, I don't feel like I'm accomplishing anything. I'm just wasting paper; I'm not seeing any results of my work. I'm not really solving a problem. I don't get that satisfaction that I accomplished something.

Second year in college I became president of the school's chapter of an international service organization and so far that has been one of the most productive and enjoyable experiences of my life. I feel drawn and attracted to the prospect of problem solving, putting my plans into action, and basically having the world as my sandbox.

I find myself irritated when subjected to a different organizational pattern, system, or structure and I often find myself thinking of ways to rework or rewire a given system for my own interpretation of maximum productivity.

On the spot, especially when trying to solve a problem with my club, I can come up with numerous different ways of solving an issue or problem.

I've written a lot as it is and I have some other things to do.

Hopefully you all can help me.
    How odd, based on your dislike of contextless things like math, that you are concerned with finding your personality type. But you seem more extroverted than introverted, so ENTJ.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    How odd, based on your dislike of contextless things like math, that you are concerned with finding your personality type. But you seem more extroverted than introverted, so ENTJ.
    Finding my personality type isn't as interesting to me as finding a proper major or career path. Figuring out my personality type may lubricate the process a bit or give me a few directions to go, but overall I think I've spent way too much time trying to find a career that's a good match for me based on a mold I may fit into; plus or minus a few snags.

Filling out little bubbles has always been redundant and I don't feel like doing that anymore.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Finding my personality type isn't as interesting to me as finding a proper major or career path. Figuring out my personality type may lubricate the process a bit or give me a few directions to go, but overall I think I've spent way too much time trying to find a career that's a good match for me based on a mold I may fit into; plus or minus a few snags.

Filling out little bubbles has always been redundant and I don't feel like doing that anymore.
    There are a few pages on career choices by type, such as:
    http://www.entjpersonality.info/p/en...eers-jobs.html
    http://www.personalitypage.com/html/ENTJ_car.html

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    I read through the links you posted in the last reply and I can relate to a lot of the points, but my guess is that my understanding of myself is still somewhat blinded by my teenage soul-searching.

I thought about what you said in respect to mathematics and I tried framing the subject in an entirely different light. I came to the conclusion that it is a powerful, foundational course which anything can be built upon as it is the basis of the operation of the world and society. The psychological and intellectual development that (I assume) takes place during the major creates untold possibilities for the graduate.

The question I have, however, is whether or not I should bother. More introspection necessary.

Would you have any input?

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I read through the links you posted in the last reply and I can relate to a lot of the points, but my guess is that my understanding of myself is still somewhat blinded by my teenage soul-searching.

I thought about what you said in respect to mathematics and I tried framing the subject in an entirely different light. I came to the conclusion that it is a powerful, foundational course which anything can be built upon as it is the basis of the operation of the world and society. The psychological and intellectual development that (I assume) takes place during the major creates untold possibilities for the graduate.

The question I have, however, is whether or not I should bother. More introspection necessary.

Would you have any input?
    Above this you mentioned some things that you like and dislike. I would keep it simple. If you don't like pure math, then don't do it. If you liked being the president of a club, then try for some kind of leadership position.

You come across as the visionary type, especially with statements like "I can come up with numerous different ways of solving an issue or problem." You won't be satisfied with anything less than following your own vision, and this requires that you be the leader of it, whether you're the dean of a college or what-have-you. The only purpose for pursuing math would be for you to head a math department somewhere. If it requires leadership abilities and also the capacity for improving an organization, then pursue that.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

If your interest is in finding the proper major or career path, there's only one way to find that out - trial and error.

It would be nice if things like personality theory were able to let us bypass that part, and sometimes, people are lucky and do, but doing the slog work of figuring it out on your own is the only fool-proof method.

I'm not Trunks

Just be patience to find your personality types..If you want to achieve something, do it with a little patience, you maybe slow but you almost there..

figsfiggyfigs

I thought this thread is about the show.

/leaves