User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lost. Gave up Trying to Find Personality Type. Help please!

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    If your interest is in finding the proper major or career path, there's only one way to find that out - trial and error.

It would be nice if things like personality theory were able to let us bypass that part, and sometimes, people are lucky and do, but doing the slog work of figuring it out on your own is the only fool-proof method.

The era of simple answers regarding careers is over.

Those personality-based career (MBTI in particular) advice seem like total guesswork to me.

A lot of the things you read on the web were just placed on someone's website once because they thought it sounded good, and get copied and proliferated. The prevalence of information on the web does not make that information true.

Myers-Briggs, Jungian Functions, ennegram, socionics and the like are interesting ideas, and I believe they carry some truth to them, but I think their best uses are to expand your thinking and aid you in realizing that there is a diversity of perspectives in the world.

Books like "Do What You Are?" are, IMO, way too simplistic, especially for the modern era.

"What Color is your Parachute?" is probably better because it forces you to take stock...however, I think the "indicators" (even the Holland Codes, which I thought was one of the more useful ones) aren't really that helpful.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

There is this one extremely involved and expensive test that checks your APTITUDE for things rather than likes and dislikes. My friend who went to art school and is a jewelry designer highly recommends it. It's at least a few hundred dollars though and you have to go to a special testing center for it...wish I remembered the name of it...

I'm guessing you're still college aged or close to there. The good news is you pretty much have your whole 20s for trial and error and figure stuff out. With the economy and modern life opening up, people well into their 30s and 40s go back to school and change careers. My brother went to culinary school and most people were mid-career changers and up to their 40s and older, though there were also students in their early to mid 20s. In my real estate classes I have had people who are WELL into their senior citizen stage who were trying to pass the license exam. My friend became a nurse well into her 30s. etc.

Instead of focusing so much on perfection and finding the One and Only True job for you (just like looking for the One and Only True Love) focus instead on doing jobs and assignments and volunteer work as they come. Do what interests you and what speaks to you. You'll eventually figure out what you want to do, for now.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux