• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How does one teach both efficiently and effectively?

ygolo

My termites win
As an update to this. I had my first discussion yesterday. Less than half the students showed up. (But, I figure, I am not going to sweat the people who don't put in even the minimal effort).

I put a lot of effort into the handouts I gave, and decided that instead of e-mailing a lot of information and suggestions in smaller chunks, I would put them into physical handouts that I print out.

The format I used was:
1) Answer basic questions the students had.
2) Give them a basic, general knowledge based, problem to work out, under a 10 min. time limit.
3) Have one of the students who got it explain how to do it on the board (or I would do it, if nobody solved it).
4) Solve an example problem based on concepts they should have learned.
5) Have them work on a problem based on similar principles.
6) repeated this a few times.

Everything, that I planned on doing was in the handout I gave them (except the questions answered). At the end, they got my solutions to the problems I had them work in class.

The students seemed significantly more engaged with the material than last quarter. Some were confused about things, but they actually asked questions for clarification.

Note: As far as "efficiency" goes. This is actually taking me longer than what I did last quarter, but I feel like the "effectiveness" has improved. We shall see if the results actually bear this out.

Also, I will be working on my handouts for next week over the weekend. For those interested in helping me improve the quality of these, PM me.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I actually tried out recently teaching by giving a complex problem and then having the group (of about 6 people) figure it out together, while sitting aside available for in case they reached an insurmountable obstacle... it's seemed to work rather well since everyone learns from each other and they get to learn through trial and error :)

ygolo

My termites win
I had tried the group work thing last quarter. In fact, last quarter, my initial format was almost the same, except I explicitly asked people to form small groups.

This time, I said they can work in small groups or ask each other for help if they want...all of them worked alone (but would ask me for help from time to time).

Also, I made the problems quite a bit easier than I did last quarter.

Permabanned
I'll have to read this more carefully, as I think I may have some personal contributions to make.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
Note: As far as "efficiency" goes. This is actually taking me longer than what I did last quarter, but I feel like the "effectiveness" has improved. We shall see if the results actually bear this out.

I have always found it difficult to be both efficient and effective, and most teachers I know do too. Teaching is a LOT of work. (sigh) However, I also think that as you get into a routine that works for you, you will become more efficient. I'm glad things are going a little better, at least.

ygolo

My termites win
I have always found it difficult to be both efficient and effective, and most teachers I know do too. Teaching is a LOT of work. (sigh) However, I also think that as you get into a routine that works for you, you will become more efficient. I'm glad things are going a little better, at least.

Well. We aren't asked to teach every subject, like in elementary school--just general chemistry. It is just one subject (most professors have at least two subjects). Over summer, it is just one class, with (in my case) 17 students. In other quarters, it is more like 44-48 students (but the material is at a slower pace). Also, it is a team effort. We have a main instructor and a head TA (for all 150 students), and section TAs for smaller groups of students (I am a section TA).

ygolo

My termites win
One more update to this.

I had my second discussion, yesterday.

Apparently, I am doing something wrong because only 3 students attended.

I thought maybe because it was the day after the holiday, that many people were on vacation. But I checked with other TAs and one had close to 80% of his students attend, and another even had students from other sections.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
One more update to this.

I had my second discussion, yesterday.

Apparently, I am doing something wrong because only 3 students attended.

I thought maybe because it was the day after the holiday, that many people were on vacation. But I checked with other TAs and one had close to 80% of his students attend, and another even had students from other sections.

Have you asked the other TAs what they're doing?

ygolo

My termites win
Have you asked the other TAs what they're doing?

I did. It seems like the formats we use are the same. Something is different about the details maybe. Or it was just really bad luck. I am not sure.

durentu

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
The best way to teach, is to employ them as tutors.

learning comes from teaching others.

ygolo

My termites win
The best way to teach, is to employ them as tutors.

learning comes from teaching others.

That is essentially what I did. I had the students who were able to solve problems explain to the others how to do them.

ygolo

My termites win
So the first summer session is over. I think I was more effective than I was during spring quarter.

I stuck with the initial format all the way through (despite students initially deciding not to show up). People from other sections were attending my discussions by the end. I did have two people essentially give up, however (one actually told me he was just going to "take the F").

I did some statistical analysis (t-test) on the final grades of my section vs. the overall class. The t-value was 1.10286, with 12 degrees of freedom. This corresponds to a one tailed p-value of 0.146 and a two tailed p-value of 0.292. Not really a significant result (Also, there wasn't really experimental design or anything involved...overall, not very scientific), but I believe it to be better than the Spring quarter result when the section and class average were essentially the same.

G

garbage

as student
First thought: If applicable, when a student comes to your office, don't tell him that he should've learned [some concept] or that such-and-such a thing is obvious. Engineering school was full of this sort of crap, and I'm sure it didn't help classroom morale.

as teacher
First thought: it's difficult to reach out to students, especially on the first go-around. Preparing lectures is a bitch, too. Start with substance, then add 'flair' and 'connection with the audience' later if you've got time.

Teaching a class for the first time always sucks. It gets much easier to refine lectures (and to concentrate less on substance and more on delivery) after one's gone through the material a few times.

It also helps to bring in relatable examples, but it's not always possible.
I stuck with the initial format all the way through (despite students initially deciding not to show up). People from other sections were attending my discussions by the end.
:hifive: