User Tag List

First 234

Quote Originally Posted by durentu View Post
    The best way to teach, is to employ them as tutors.

learning comes from teaching others.
    That is essentially what I did. I had the students who were able to solve problems explain to the others how to do them.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

So the first summer session is over. I think I was more effective than I was during spring quarter.

I stuck with the initial format all the way through (despite students initially deciding not to show up). People from other sections were attending my discussions by the end. I did have two people essentially give up, however (one actually told me he was just going to "take the F").

I did some statistical analysis (t-test) on the final grades of my section vs. the overall class. The t-value was 1.10286, with 12 degrees of freedom. This corresponds to a one tailed p-value of 0.146 and a two tailed p-value of 0.292. Not really a significant result (Also, there wasn't really experimental design or anything involved...overall, not very scientific), but I believe it to be better than the Spring quarter result when the section and class average were essentially the same.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

garbage

as student
    First thought: If applicable, when a student comes to your office, don't tell him that he should've learned [some concept] or that such-and-such a thing is obvious. Engineering school was full of this sort of crap, and I'm sure it didn't help classroom morale.

as teacher
    First thought: it's difficult to reach out to students, especially on the first go-around. Preparing lectures is a bitch, too. Start with substance, then add 'flair' and 'connection with the audience' later if you've got time.

Teaching a class for the first time always sucks. It gets much easier to refine lectures (and to concentrate less on substance and more on delivery) after one's gone through the material a few times.

It also helps to bring in relatable examples, but it's not always possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I stuck with the initial format all the way through (despite students initially deciding not to show up). People from other sections were attending my discussions by the end.