• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Summer Engineering Internship

JonJT

MBTI Type
INTP
Hello Ladies and Gents,
I've been hired by an engineering firm for a summer internship. I was accepted into their program through the good graces of a family friend that is a member of the family who owns the firm. Three 3-mails from the HR manager at the company headquarters and I was in!

Aside from the fact that I was accepted, the office I'll be working at and the dates I will be working, I know nothing else. Needless to say the company has been very vague.

Now, I'm writing this post to catch the attention my fellow engineering students and professional engineers on the board. I would like to have some idea of what I would be doing (long shot, but it might be possible) and how much money I should negotiate for when I show up the first day. The company I work for specializes in design, construction and maintenance of large scale power production (industrial plants; nuclear and fossil fuel). I'm a rising sophomore studying at Cornell. Average salary for interns from my school seems to be around 750-1000 a week but seeing as this is my first job and I was hired under special situations, I don't know if I should ask for that much, for more or exactly that amount. If this is of any consequence (and I don't think it should be) my grades are not all that great. I'm currently at about a 2.6 out of a 4.0 which is about .2 points below average. I'm not exactly proud of this (especially because I do not feel this reflects my abilities or intelligence) but my INTP laziness and complete lack of study skills (thanks highschool!) has caught me off guard way to many times.

What do you guys think?

ygolo

My termites win
Hello Ladies and Gents,
I've been hired by an engineering firm for a summer internship. I was accepted into their program through the good graces of a family friend that is a member of the family who owns the firm. Three 3-mails from the HR manager at the company headquarters and I was in!

Aside from the fact that I was accepted, the office I'll be working at and the dates I will be working, I know nothing else. Needless to say the company has been very vague.

Now, I'm writing this post to catch the attention my fellow engineering students and professional engineers on the board. I would like to have some idea of what I would be doing (long shot, but it might be possible) and how much money I should negotiate for when I show up the first day. The company I work for specializes in design, construction and maintenance of large scale power production (industrial plants; nuclear and fossil fuel). I'm a rising sophomore studying at Cornell. Average salary for interns from my school seems to be around 750-1000 a week but seeing as this is my first job and I was hired under special situations, I don't know if I should ask for that much, for more or exactly that amount. If this is of any consequence (and I don't think it should be) my grades are not all that great. I'm currently at about a 2.6 out of a 4.0 which is about .2 points below average. I'm not exactly proud of this (especially because I do not feel this reflects my abilities or intelligence) but my INTP laziness and complete lack of study skills (thanks highschool!) has caught me off guard way to many times.

What do you guys think?

They haven't set the salary yet?

mechanical engineer salary

Are you interning as a graduate, or as someone still in school. They normal pay-difference between the two can be $7/hour from what I observed.

However, if you got a job through family connections, I am not sure you are in a position to negotiate in the 1st couple of days. If nothing else, it is a good way to gain experience.

Not that, I am qualified to give career advice. But my first internship wage (I was still going to school at the time), a little over 10-years ago, was $14/hour.

Through inflation, I would expect $18-$20 per hour. EEs (Computer or Communications Engineers in particular) tend get paid more than MEs, however.

Jive A Turkey

MBTI Type
INFP
The salary was decided before they opened the position. I'd be willing to bet ygolo's life on it. So, don't worry about negotiation.

Internships often involve uninspiring work to say the least. It depends on the engineers with whom your working. If they haven't got the patience to walk you through their processes and really teach you something they'll just throw the easy and boring work your way. If that happens you'll have to teach yourself. Keep your eye on the way the company works. The broad sight will help you identify the work that really makes an impact. It'll also separate you from ninety percent of the engineers.