• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Messed up my degree. How to move forward?

Snow Turtle

I'm basically going to achieve a 2.2 (55%) Bsc Psychology due to my bad time management skills, procrastination and perfectionism. For the most part, I feel like a complete failure at the moment since I know I had the ability to achieve a mid 2.1 instead (65%). Instead I wasted away my potential.

I can't change the past though. It's just going to be one of those things I'll probably regret for as long as I live.
While I feel like I just have to suck it up and move on. Another part feels like I should berate myself a lot. That I'm not allowed to move on from this failure so easily and just be like "Well, just focus on the future".

More to the point though, how do I even proceed from here?

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
While I feel like I just have to suck it up and move on.

At least you didn't get a 3. you can still go to postgrad on a 2:2
though going directly back into pg for more of the same on a higher
level wouldn't be the best thing ... i mean if you struggled
academically/applying yourself on your first degree, it might be
even more disastrous.

i'd focus on trying to get training/jobs that you can learn skills
at. you might start at a lowlier job that a 2:1 but you can always
work up from there.

no point to mope around. don't worry about it, nick griffin got a 2:2.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Not being familiar with the UK education system, how significant is the class of Bachelor's you get? Does this basically class you for the rest of your life?

Wow, seems much less stressful in the states where you can barely graduate but still end up with the degree and not have your GPA follow you around...

As someone in the states, all I can say is that I think in the west at least you still have a lot of social mobility in general and the more you life the less significant your degree gets and the less impact it has on your career. Also, you probably area perfectionist and knew you could do better that's why you're so hard on yourself. I do sympathize, it must suck feeling like you were so close. I would channel that into a bid to prove yourself next time and reach for a masters (if that's what you want) after you've grounded yourself. I'm guessing the UK system is not so significantly different that if you are able to solid job experience and do well that will boost your application quite a bit and wash out the 2:2. It sounds like mmhmm's advice is solid.

Good luck!

Philosorapteuse

right on the left wing
MBTI Type
INTP
Not being familiar with the UK education system, how significant is the class of Bachelor's you get? Does this basically class you for the rest of your life?

Wow, seems much less stressful in the states where you can barely graduate but still end up with the degree and not have your GPA follow you around...

Degree class has recently become much more significant in the UK; at least, this is the strong impression I get from older friends and acquaintances. With the push to get as many people as possible into university (why? why?? insert rant here), there are an awful lot of graduates and not many jobs. Degree class is an easy way to thin out the competition. It's ridiculous, the things that ask for a degree these days. :(

OP, you have my sympathies, and I wish there were something helpful I could suggest, but I'm in a similar position. There's no point in berating yourself at this stage, even though it's difficult not to. :hug:

One thing I have learned though, is that it's actually true about getting some temping work for a day or two, and that being a way in. I didn't believe it myself - surely employers know how long they want a temp for? But I was asked in here for two days, and by the time I leave I'll have been here a year, so I was proved wrong on that one.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have enormous problems with time management and procrastination, so in that respect at least I relate.

I guess I would be berating myself too, but it's probably not for the best. If you can learn from the experience and move on, that sounds best... Easier said than done though, I know. :hug:

What are you doing work-wise currently? Can you get some further training through work? Can you get some volunteer work in an area that interests you?