User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: 6 AP classes

Default 6 AP classes

I want to take this load next year, junior year of Highschool? Am I making the biggest mistake of my life? Anybody here have experience with this?

1 AP Chinese- easy
    2 AP Psychology - said to be easy
    3 AP Chemistry - very hard, shall prestudy
    4 AP Literature - hard (unless I get the easy teacher)
    5 AP Statistics - said to be easy
    6 AP United States History - I don't know.
    7 Honors Pre-calculus - Said to be kind of hard, will prestudy.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

How are you determining the difficulty of your courses?

I took AP Chem back in high school, and it wasn't especially difficult. If taught correctly they should be on par with the lower college levels of the course, which you should honestly be about ready for by late high school.

Honestly, whether or not the course-load is correct (manageable) is more dependent upon the person than the courses taken, so I'm not quite sure how much help anyone can be.

Edit: Although I have to admit, taking all of those AP tests at the end doesn't seem like it would be fun with that many classes. Or maybe it would be for you.
    Last edited by Tyrinth; 06-03-2012 at 04:13 AM.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

It depends on where you go to school, and the teachers that you get. Also, AP classes are all about smart time management. Block off time for each class and stick to that schedule, and you'll go far. Don't cram for the AP exams the night before, you'll just fall asleep the next day because those things are like three or four hours apiece.

Also, about AP Chemistry: I took it last year. It was a bastard of a class, but that was because the teacher for Chem was married to the calc teacher so their tests and quizzes were always on the same day. Furthermore, she made her tests significantly harder than the exam itself and there were weekly night labs. I'm not sure how it's gonna work out at your school, but if it works the same way, make sure you have time for those night labs!

If it makes you feel any better, here's my course schedule for this year:

AP Japanese
    AP Studio Art: 2D Design
    AP English Literature
    AP Psychology
    AP Human Geography
    AP Statistics
    AP US Government
    AP Economics
    AP Physics
    1w9 sx/sp
    A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.

All that is gold does not glitter
    Not all those who wander are lost

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

AP is for mortals.

IB is for demigods.

j/k (sorta). You should be fine if you can come to grips with the fact that your social life will take a hit.

Quote Originally Posted by mujigay View Post
    It depends on where you go to school, and the teachers that you get. Also, AP classes are all about smart time management. Block off time for each class and stick to that schedule, and you'll go far. Don't cram for the AP exams the night before, you'll just fall asleep the next day because those things are like three or four hours apiece.

Also, about AP Chemistry: I took it last year. It was a bastard of a class, but that was because the teacher for Chem was married to the calc teacher so their tests and quizzes were always on the same day. Furthermore, she made her tests significantly harder than the exam itself and there were weekly night labs. I'm not sure how it's gonna work out at your school, but if it works the same way, make sure you have time for those night labs!

If it makes you feel any better, here's my course schedule for this year:

AP Japanese
    AP Studio Art: 2D Design
    AP English Literature
    AP Psychology
    AP Human Geography
    AP Statistics
    AP US Government
    AP Economics
    AP Physics
    How can you take 9 ap classes 7 max at my school ==
    How are you going to sleep.
    Why would this make me feel better.

Anyways everyone. I might graduate early so I'll get back to this later if I don't.

For what it's worth, I really encourage high school kids to take AP courses and community college courses (especially the sciences).

It may seem like a big risk to grades and a lot of work now. But if you start college as a science or engineering major without a bunch of APs, your freshman year is going to be hell. Consider a Junior AND Senior year's worth of AP science/math classes packed into your Freshman year of college.

The jump to college is going to be tough anyways. It would be good to limit the number of 350+ student, 4 to 5 credit, science and math classes you need to take at the same time. As an undergrad, I was lucky to be able to skip all this, and I didn't realize how good that luck was.

Having TA'd for one giant class, and having audited another, I will tell you that these classes are like being infantry on an academic battlefield during the days of trenches and machine guns. Who "survives" (as in doesn't fail) is very random.

You could get a class with an instructor and TA that doesn't match your learning style in the least. Many times, some of the professors haven't learned how to teach, and many of the TAs are jaded and vindictive. Pretty much without exception, the grades are based off of two to three really big exams. Have one bad test day, and forget about an A. Have two, and you may be close to failing. Get a vindictive or impatient TA grading your exam, and you can forget about partial credit (whereas a more well-adjusted one may look to figure out what you tried).

Yeah, so take APs. Spread out the work, and avoid the giant classes in college.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Zhuli Lily Askar View Post
    I want to take this load next year, junior year of Highschool? Am I making the biggest mistake of my life? Anybody here have experience with this?

1 AP Chinese- easy
    2 AP Psychology - said to be easy
    3 AP Chemistry - very hard, shall prestudy
    4 AP Literature - hard (unless I get the easy teacher)
    5 AP Statistics - said to be easy
    6 AP United States History - I don't know.
    I'd say go for it. I wish I would have taken AP classes in high school. I wouldn't have to be in school for so long to get a degree if I had.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    AP is for mortals.

IB is for demigods.

j/k (sorta). You should be fine if you can come to grips with the fact that your social life will take a hit.
    This may have changed since I was in high school, but my HS favored APs since there was a clear system, back then, for getting college credit (get a 5 on the AP exam) but nothing about how the IB course gave college credit (At the time, it was a small program in my area, and looked on with skepticism for possibly overemphasizing "route learning").

We also had a program where we simultaneously enrolled in classes at a near by university so we could get college credit for classes like linear algebra, multivariable calculus, and differential equations.

There were other courses, like supercomputing applications, elements of artificial intelligence, structured computer organization, analog design, and digital design that had college equivalents, but did not give us college credit. Some, like engineering thermodynamics and complex analysis, I found out later, were the equivalents of what was being taught in graduate school.

I guess, my point is that whether it is AP, IB, or whatever other system you have, see if you know how to get college credit.

Even if it doesn't get you college credit, if it's fun, and you like to learn, no need to limit yourself.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    This may have changed since I was in high school, but my HS favored APs since there was a clear system, back then, for getting college credit (get a 5 on the AP exam) but nothing about how the IB course gave college credit (At the time, it was a small program in my area, and looked on with skepticism for possibly overemphasizing "route learning").

We also had a program where we simultaneously enrolled in classes at a near by university so we could get college credit for classes like linear algebra, multivariable calculus, and differential equations.

Other courses, like supercomputing applications, elements of artificial intelligence, structured computer organization, analog design, and digital design had college equivalents, (some, like engineering thermodynamics and complex analysis, I found out later, were the equivalents of what was being taught in graduate school). These courses were fun but did not give us college credit.

I guess, my point is that whether it is AP, IB, or whatever other system you have, see if you know how to get college credit.

Even if it doesn't get you college credit, if it's fun, and you like to learn, no need to limit yourself.
    when i was back in high school (15 years ago), the IB programme was offered, but very few students
    would do the full diploma the trend has changed now, most international schools students
    will be taking the full IB diploma as a norm, which means a mix of SL and HL levels.

universities will recognize most HL courses scoring 7 as college credit. some colleges will take a 6.
    (for IB HL Business it really depends on the university) you don't get college credit for SL classes,
    even if you take both SL1 (11th grade) SL2 (12th grade). you'll need to do HL1 and and HL2.

i didn't do the full diploma, but i took several HL courses and was able to get college credit on
    whatever i got 7s on. and like ygolo said, sooooo glad didn't have to take the giant lecture classes
    for the math & science req classes freshman year.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Zhuli Lily Askar View Post
    From what I remember from high school.

AP courses were usually easier than Honors courses.