User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: 6 AP classes

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    From what I remember from high school.

AP courses were usually easier than Honors courses.
    NOT.TRUE.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    AP is for mortals.

IB is for demigods.

j/k (sorta). You should be fine if you can come to grips with the fact that your social life will take a hit.
    Ha. I have heard this as well. i went to a school with jolly AP, no honors, no IB, even though we were an int'l school.

I think what people say is true - it depends on the teacher and also your natural aptitude for the material. If you get the material it doesn't matter how you do in the class you can still ace the AP exam ( which happened in my AP us history the teacher gave me a C or D but I got a 4 on test and was only 1 of 2 out of 60+ to even pass the exam IN YO FACE!)

If you just want the AP exam credit and don't even need the class, y can sign up for the test on your own.

The only area you can get screwed is in something that is difficult to teach yourself, like language (or not, some people can teach themselves foreign languages just fine). In the subjects you find more challenging you will need better teachers and better classes.

From what I remember of my AP classes unless y go to an acacdmicaolh intensive/advanced school, AP classes themselves aren't necessarily "harder than normal". If you feel confident in the subject it will be like regular highschool. I took 8 AP classes in highschool spead outnover 3 years (which is the unofficial ceiling wt my hs, 3a year was the recommended max they would let you do)and they were negligible from my non AP classes. Amy strengths were literature and social sciences and my challenges were math and science, so the AP science classes were just as difficult for me as regular classes and the AP lit/social science classes were just as not difficult.

Btw if you want to talk about hard the difficulty level jumps noticeably in college - unless again yo go to an academically intensive school (if youre in the US system this probevly does not include you :P)I got college credit for French from my AP test but it was WAY more advanced in my college high ingermediste French class then in AP French.

Anywho, I think you're confident you can carry that academic load. So do it and just drop classes accordingly once school starts. That's what study hall is for.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    GONE

On second thought if your guidance counselor approves that, it can't be that daunting. Either the classes arent significantly harder than non AP and your school administrators know it, your counselor believes in your abilities and thinks you can certainly do it, or a combination of both.

My cousin ENTP told me he took a similar load like that his senior year (public) with at least 5 -6 AP classes and I was lie what? In my highschool (private) the cap on max AP classes was really low. Is it really common to be able to take as many AP classes as you want?
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    From what I remember from high school.

AP courses were usually easier than Honors courses.
    Like I said before, this kind of thing really does vary by school.

At my school, like OP's school, AP classes are a significant level up from honors classes, mostly because of the teachers in charge of them.

In the end, that's the unfair thing about the GPA and rank thing in the college application system. The kind of classes that you can sleep through at one school, you're gonna fail at another. The GPA that will make you valedictorian at one school barely puts you in the top quarter at another school, and all of this within the same district's public schooling system. C'est la vie.
    1w9 sx/sp
    A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.

All that is gold does not glitter
    Not all those who wander are lost

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I think there might be a few things to consider with the AP classes. My first reaction is that they are hard - like college classes to an extent and you do have to work pretty hard at them normally. I don't know if it's a good idea to take more than 2 simultaneously. An easy AP class isn't likely to prepare you well for the AP exam so I'd probably focus energies on the better ones. The other thing to consider is your GPA and what the weighted average is for an AP class vs. honors class vs advanced, etc. If you are wanting to be valedictorian or salutatorian, then you want to maximize the number of classes that have the highest weighting and keep the ones with the lowest weighting to the absolute utter minimun while getting straight As. So, if you get more credit for taking an AP class than an honors class then you want to maximize the number of those classes even if they are easy.

When it comes down to college, what I've seen is even with a huge number of AP credits, you usually end of up having to go the full four years (or five depending on program) anyway because to fulfill the requirements of your major and minor (or double major), there are certain classes you need to take to fulfill those requirements. Still, I think in general good AP classes are an excellent way to get you better prepared for college regardless as to how much value those credits provide once you get there.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    When it comes down to college, what I've seen is even with a huge number of AP credits, you usually end of up having to go the full four years (or five depending on program) anyway because to fulfill the requirements of your major and minor (or double major), there are certain classes you need to take to fulfill those requirements.
    Well, this wasn't my experience. People who got a lot of AP/Transfer credits have a major advantage.

I started off college in Sophomore standing, and had a friend who started off in Junior standing.

I took a total year-off to do co-ops with a company, but still graduated with my incoming class (4-years) with two separate bachelors degrees (one engineering degree and one math degree). My friend, in those same 4 years, finished two bachelors degrees, and two masters degrees.

I knew many others who decided to take the easy route, and used the fact that they had many APs to take the absolute minimum course load and graduate at a leisurely pace along side everyone else.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I started off college in Sophomore standing, and had a friend who started off in Junior standing.
    Yep. How about a sophomore starting her first semester with 93 credit hours already .

Maybe it depends on the major.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    GONE

@ygolo you sound super motivated. I think only a fraction of trad aged college students will be 1/2 as self-driven and organized as you were at that age. I barely even wanted to go to college.

For the OP a good question though - whats the ultimate goal for the class load?

Let us know what your counselor says. :P

Johari/Nohari

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI

I took AP US History this year. It stars off pretty hard, but it gets easier as you go along, because you get more used to what you have to do. It is MUCH more of memorizing random, insignificant facts than it is understanding broader concepts, which is why I found it hard. One thing to keep in mind is that the AP test is WAY easier than the class (at least in my case it was).

I also had honors precalculus this year and I thought it was very easy. If you're good at algebra and geometry, then you'll find it easy.

I'm taking five AP classes next year (physics, chemistry, calculus, psychology, and US government) in addition to the academic level English (senior English for half the year and an English elective the other half), but I'm going to teach myself some other AP courses this summer and next school year (statistics, biology, language, literature, Spanish, and maybe a few others) and take those AP tests to get even more AP credit.

All I can say for advice: be prepared to do a LOT of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhuli Lily Askar View Post
    NOT.TRUE.
    Quote Originally Posted by mujigay View Post
    Like I said before, this kind of thing really does vary by school.

At my school, like OP's school, AP classes are a significant level up from honors classes, mostly because of the teachers in charge of them.

In the end, that's the unfair thing about the GPA and rank thing in the college application system. The kind of classes that you can sleep through at one school, you're gonna fail at another. The GPA that will make you valedictorian at one school barely puts you in the top quarter at another school, and all of this within the same district's public schooling system. C'est la vie.
    Yeah, what happen at my high school was that the Honors teachers were REALLY hard on you while the AP courses were more or less like "regular" college courses.