• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Need some help picking a major.

linuxguy0481

I have a lot of different interests. I like math my stepdad wouldn't believe it. Computers, Law, Economics. Anyways if anybody could share what they did to find out their major and any extra testing they did to find themselves so to speak.

From my introduction post I'm 90% sure I am a ISTP type. So looking at obtaining a degree online. It will actually be from a reputable school. Northeastern University actually. I've contacted them but that's all. I wanted to get some advice and more testing options I could do before I tell them what I want to major in.

Once I realize what major I want to do and get that "aha!" moment I will be a very happy camper.

linuxguy0481

Not 100% sure. I am good with anything technology related. I even type pretty well 65+ wpm. Good at researching stuff online. Relatives tell me to go look this up for me. Sometimes curiosity gets the better of me and I always know try to find something that goes out of the norm and know there has to be a better way. Not sure if that applies or not. I think I would be good at math if I did not have had such horrible teachers growing up and it did not help that I skipped a lot of school. I wish I could go back in time and smack my younger self and tell him to go to school right away and be more serous about it. But anyways there is something about mathematics that intrigues me.

If you asked my relatives what I'm good at they will say computers. But getting a degree in computers scare me. Having to learn new things on a constant basis so you will be more marketable to employers is scary to me. It will be hard to keep up with all the changes. I would like a degree that is more stable to me and won't get me replaced by the younger generation.

I'm going to brainstorm tomorrow and write it down things I consider myself to be good at.

Usehername

On a mission
Your major doesn't matter so much as your attitude. Most students change their major several times anyway. Assume you're that student and go in with your best guess. The point of college is to learn things that are new to you, so put yourself on a collision course with things that pique your interest in your first semester or two and then gather data from what you liked and what you didn't like, and course-adjust. Then repeat until you're confident you're in the right place.

FWIW,
Students perform way worse in online classes because there's only the visual medium through which to absorb information. They all think it's going to be easier, but if you ask any department head, they'll tell you all about the abysmal dropout rates of online courses and the sinking grades compared to face-to-face. It's not that you can't do it, but that people vastly underestimate how much they rely on their 5 senses to gather information (even intonation of your professor when they're describing the assignment matters, because most profs aren't going to have fireproof assignment sheets, they're going to have what appears to be unspoken assumptions if you only read this stuff). Even if you're highly visual, chances are your instructor is going to fail to effectively communicate with only 1 medium available to them, so you have less control over meeting the targets because the targets will be fuzzier.

Don't miss out on the physical presence and community that comes from sharing a learning environment. I promise you that all types benefit from this in different ways. :yes: It's not that it can't be done online, but that nearly all instructors suck at creating this space, or there are too many students who are going to sink because that's what happens and the course goes Titanic style down, which makes your personal experience suckier. Online learning is like looking to attend a party and then choosing to show up to a place full of depressives. It's not that you can't have a happy experience but don't think the environment is going to have a neutral effect on you--you'll have to fight it to make it good.

lauranna

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do something you enjoy and are very interested in. If you do something for the wrong reasons you will end up not wanting to do it. And as you probably well know, as an ISTP if you don't want to do something- you won't.

I regret the subject I took at university. I did it for the wrong reasons because it was suggested it would lead to a good job. And then I hated it so didn't put in any effort.

Do what you enjoy, what comes naturally, what you are good at. You will find as you get older you cannot push yourself to work in a field you have no interest in.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
From my introduction post I'm 90% sure I am a ISTP type. So looking at obtaining a degree online. It will actually be from a reputable school. Northeastern University actually. I've contacted them but that's all. I wanted to get some advice and more testing options I could do before I tell them what I want to major in.
Why are you doing your degree online instead of on campus? Northeastern is in a very active, interesting area (Boston). They used to have a great co-op program, which helped both with paying tuition and getting work experience to help land a good job after graduating. (I had a couple of cousins graduate from there, and took an evening class there myself years ago.)

As for choosing a major, I looked at what was most interesting to me in high school, took related classes as a college freshman, then eliminated some possibilities based on not liking the departments, the required courses, etc. I also visited people with occupations I was considering, enough to realize I did NOT want to have certain jobs. So, process of elimination. At the same time, I had an idea in the back of my head of what I wanted to do; just wanted to be thorough in considering alternatives.

Moonlight Angel

MBTI Type
INFP
i say find what you are good at and what you have a interest for. I majored in biology because i was good at science and I like helping people, so i am going to apply to medical school when i graduate.
just major in what you are good at. it worked for me ^_^

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What do you enjoy doing most? A suggestion would be to become proficient at what you enjoy doing.

malachite

As for choosing a major, I looked at what was most interesting to me in high school, took related classes as a college freshman, then eliminated some possibilities based on not liking the departments, the required courses, etc. I also visited people with occupations I was considering, enough to realize I did NOT want to have certain jobs. So, process of elimination. At the same time, I had an idea in the back of my head of what I wanted to do; just wanted to be thorough in considering alternatives.

I agree with this. Sometimes you end up choosing a major you love, but the career options you have are ones you hate. Imagine yourself 5-10 years from now, what career path do you want to be on? Pick your major based on that, but its gotta be something you like too.

Personally, I majored in microbiology with the intention of getting an MD focusing on pathology. Then I interned at a hospital and realized that it wasn't right for me. So I ended up working on two MS degrees in bioinformatics and computer engineering because I want to work in a start up tech environment. Anyway my point with that choosing a major isn't a final decision in life. If its not right for you, you could always change it, even after you've gotten that piece of paper.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Your username suggests that computer science would be a good idea. :)

But seriously, I made the mistake of going for what I thought was well-suited to me and promising for careers (Psychology) versus what I am really captivated and motivated by (Political Science), and now I am looking at going back to Poli Sci instead. If you know you really enjoy something, and it holds your interest, I would pursue that. I have heard a quote that says something like figure out what you love to do, and the money will follow. I think this is so true. I don't think you need to worry about computer science not being a stable field because if you're interested in enough to engage in it often, you're going to be constantly learning through doing.

Also, I doubt computer science will ever become obsolete - only, like every other field, it will be changing. On the upside, every field is currently changing at the speed of technology, so if you're into technology, you're essentially at the forefront of every field!

Anyway - my opinion is that the only thing that really matter is whether it gets you up in the morning, and hang the rest. But visiting/volunteering at the place is SUCH A GOOD idea. Sometimes careers are so vastly different than their subject matter!
I personally learned that "school counseling" should really be "dealing with parents". :coffee:

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As most people said, do something you enjoy and feel you're good at. Not sure if this is good advice or not (lol.), but don't be afraid of going into computer science because you fear you won't be able to keep up. The IT industry finds niches for everyone, or that's what I've observed.

As for me, I'm an ISTP too. I majored in mathematical statistics, which I really enjoyed. Ended up getting a job as a programmer/ web developer, and I enjoy that a lot as well. Looking back at the few computer science classes I took in school, I think I would have really enjoyed being a computer science major. But really, majoring in math can open a lot of doors, and you can definitely start out in the IT industry too.