User Tag List

12 Last

Default Need some help picking a major.

I have a lot of different interests. I like math my stepdad wouldn't believe it. Computers, Law, Economics. Anyways if anybody could share what they did to find out their major and any extra testing they did to find themselves so to speak.

From my introduction post I'm 90% sure I am a ISTP type. So looking at obtaining a degree online. It will actually be from a reputable school. Northeastern University actually. I've contacted them but that's all. I wanted to get some advice and more testing options I could do before I tell them what I want to major in.

Once I realize what major I want to do and get that "aha!" moment I will be a very happy camper.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

What are you good at?

Not 100% sure. I am good with anything technology related. I even type pretty well 65+ wpm. Good at researching stuff online. Relatives tell me to go look this up for me. Sometimes curiosity gets the better of me and I always know try to find something that goes out of the norm and know there has to be a better way. Not sure if that applies or not. I think I would be good at math if I did not have had such horrible teachers growing up and it did not help that I skipped a lot of school. I wish I could go back in time and smack my younger self and tell him to go to school right away and be more serous about it. But anyways there is something about mathematics that intrigues me.

If you asked my relatives what I'm good at they will say computers. But getting a degree in computers scare me. Having to learn new things on a constant basis so you will be more marketable to employers is scary to me. It will be hard to keep up with all the changes. I would like a degree that is more stable to me and won't get me replaced by the younger generation.

I'm going to brainstorm tomorrow and write it down things I consider myself to be good at.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Your major doesn't matter so much as your attitude. Most students change their major several times anyway. Assume you're that student and go in with your best guess. The point of college is to learn things that are new to you, so put yourself on a collision course with things that pique your interest in your first semester or two and then gather data from what you liked and what you didn't like, and course-adjust. Then repeat until you're confident you're in the right place.

FWIW,
    Students perform way worse in online classes because there's only the visual medium through which to absorb information. They all think it's going to be easier, but if you ask any department head, they'll tell you all about the abysmal dropout rates of online courses and the sinking grades compared to face-to-face. It's not that you can't do it, but that people vastly underestimate how much they rely on their 5 senses to gather information (even intonation of your professor when they're describing the assignment matters, because most profs aren't going to have fireproof assignment sheets, they're going to have what appears to be unspoken assumptions if you only read this stuff). Even if you're highly visual, chances are your instructor is going to fail to effectively communicate with only 1 medium available to them, so you have less control over meeting the targets because the targets will be fuzzier.

Don't miss out on the physical presence and community that comes from sharing a learning environment. I promise you that all types benefit from this in different ways. It's not that it can't be done online, but that nearly all instructors suck at creating this space, or there are too many students who are going to sink because that's what happens and the course goes Titanic style down, which makes your personal experience suckier. Online learning is like looking to attend a party and then choosing to show up to a place full of depressives. It's not that you can't have a happy experience but don't think the environment is going to have a neutral effect on you--you'll have to fight it to make it good.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

^agreed 100%

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp

Do something you enjoy and are very interested in. If you do something for the wrong reasons you will end up not wanting to do it. And as you probably well know, as an ISTP if you don't want to do something- you won't.

I regret the subject I took at university. I did it for the wrong reasons because it was suggested it would lead to a good job. And then I hated it so didn't put in any effort.

Do what you enjoy, what comes naturally, what you are good at. You will find as you get older you cannot push yourself to work in a field you have no interest in.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by linuxguy0481 View Post
    From my introduction post I'm 90% sure I am a ISTP type. So looking at obtaining a degree online. It will actually be from a reputable school. Northeastern University actually. I've contacted them but that's all. I wanted to get some advice and more testing options I could do before I tell them what I want to major in.
    Why are you doing your degree online instead of on campus? Northeastern is in a very active, interesting area (Boston). They used to have a great co-op program, which helped both with paying tuition and getting work experience to help land a good job after graduating. (I had a couple of cousins graduate from there, and took an evening class there myself years ago.)

As for choosing a major, I looked at what was most interesting to me in high school, took related classes as a college freshman, then eliminated some possibilities based on not liking the departments, the required courses, etc. I also visited people with occupations I was considering, enough to realize I did NOT want to have certain jobs. So, process of elimination. At the same time, I had an idea in the back of my head of what I wanted to do; just wanted to be thorough in considering alternatives.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INFP

i say find what you are good at and what you have a interest for. I majored in biology because i was good at science and I like helping people, so i am going to apply to medical school when i graduate.
    just major in what you are good at. it worked for me ^_^

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Go to this site. It rates your abilities, and everything to narrow you down to a perfect career.

https://access.bridges.com/auth/login.do?sponsor=7

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

What do you enjoy doing most? A suggestion would be to become proficient at what you enjoy doing.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'