User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 25

  1. #1
    Senior Member Scott N Denver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    2,899

    Default College environment favors INJ's: article

    I was trying to read up on common MBTI's of college biology students, and came across the following article: http://advan.physiology.org/content/262/6/S1.full.pdf

    basically it says that college [science, biology] environments are set up for and favor INJ's, somewhat ITJ's, and woah is you if your an EP or heaven forbid a ESP.

    For example: "suited for students who are organized (J),
    interested in abstract thinking (N), and work effectively
    alone (I). Students who prefer to live spontaneously (P),
    like to work with practical applications (S), and enjoy
    interpersonal interactions (E) are less rewarded by the
    college experience. The INJ students clearly have an advantage
    over ESP students in the college environment as
    it is currently structured."


    "as an ESFP type: interested
    in working on real problems with other people
    rather than on abstract problems in an impersonal
    atmosphere. The EP students in this biology course had
    the lowest achievement of any personality type. This poor
    performance is understandable, since the course structure
    favored the IJ types who like to learn by themselves in an
    orderly, planned environment."


    "ESP students (124.5 points) indicate
    that the course favors the person who can work well
    alone, is interested in abstract thinking, and is well organized
    and motivated. The EP students had the lowest
    total points (127.8) of any combination of two types and
    also dropped out of the course in the largest numbers."

    "Success
    in CA1 courses favor those who can concentrate by
    themselves, pay attention to details, and stay with a single
    task until completion, which favors the IJ over the EP
    personality type."

    "As currently taught, Human Physiology favors
    students who can work efficiently by themselves (I),
    live in a planned, orderly way (J), and are interested in
    the practical applications of science in their lives (S). The
    EP types are especially prone to failure in this course.
    Instructors and students should be made aware of the
    impact of personality on learning so they can modify
    teaching styles and learning behaviors. Science instructors
    can use a variety of teaching activities in their
    courses to help motivate the different personality types
    (3). The EP students especially will need to become more
    organized in their study habits and develop their concentration
    and reasoning skills. As teachers we need to emphasize
    that all personality types are valuable, but the
    learning environment in each course may favor one type
    over another so that some students will have to modify
    their attitudes and study skills if they are to succeed."

  2. #2

    Default

    Sounds about right.
    Dirt Farmer

  3. #3
    Senior Member Scott N Denver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    2,899

    Default

    Yeah, it definitely sounds right to me, and puts many of the "this isnt what I thought college would be like and I'm not really liking what it is" thoughts I've had over the years into context. As a student currently going through a non-NT non-intellectual not-liberal arts not-technical/science/engineering school program that is chock full of SF's and FP's, yeah traditional college seems really bent towards IN's and J's, particularly in the hard sciences.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Winds of Thor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    1,859

    Default

    You just have to suck it up. It sucks. But it can be exciting too .
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

  5. #5
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Pffft. College is made fore ISJs.

    Remember that even IF we accept this nonsense about abstract thinking = N (which I don't, but let's not even start that discussion), there isn't even that much abstract thinking to be done in college. The number of absolute dullards who've managed to achieve graduation (some even with honors) is evidence enough of this fact.

    That said, I will agree that the environment does not seem like it would be especially interesting or hospitable to EPs. Or perhaps even ENJs. I imagine there would have to be some special, driving academic interest or other ambition to keep EPs tied to the chore that is school.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  6. #6
    Senior Member Scott N Denver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    2,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Pffft. College is made fore ISJs.

    Remember that even IF we accept this nonsense about abstract thinking = N (which I don't, but let's not even start that discussion), there isn't even that much abstract thinking to be done in college. The number of absolute dullards who've managed to achieve graduation (some even with honors) is evidence enough of this fact.

    That said, I will agree that the environment does not seem like it would be especially interesting or hospitable to EPs. Or perhaps even ENJs. I imagine there would have to be some special, driving academic interest or other ambition to keep EPs tied to the chore that is school.
    There are lots of college majors out there obviously. It's no secret that physical sciences and humanities tend to draw NT's [and to a lesser extent ST's] and NF's respectively, with engineering drawing largely similar types as physical sciences. The article was about physiology/biology. I'm sure there are lots of S-focused majors [communications, business, sports sciences], out there. As a person who went to a liberal arts school for math and science training, and had to take various humanities gen ed requirements, there was lots of N abstract thinking in my curriculum.

    I think college academics are least geared towards the SP's, and I'm debating which of them its least geared for though I've read ESTP and ISFP for that.

  7. #7
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    There are lots of college majors out there obviously. It's no secret that physical sciences and humanities tend to draw NT's [and to a lesser extent ST's] and NF's respectively, with engineering drawing largely similar types as physical sciences. The article was about physiology/biology. I'm sure there are lots of S-focused majors [communications, business, sports sciences], out there. As a person who went to a liberal arts school for math and science training, and had to take various humanities gen ed requirements, there was lots of N abstract thinking in my curriculum.

    I think college academics are least geared towards the SP's, and I'm debating which of them its least geared for though I've read ESTP and ISFP for that.


    Studying fucking biology is hardly abstract.

    At any rate, the subject doesn't matter. Even if it is a fundamentally abstract subject, it is transformed into a series of mundane tasks in order to form a college course (in which the gist of the subject is supposed to be conveyed to the student...usually unsuccessfully, as demonstrated, again, by the sheer number of morons with degrees who don't know shit.)
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  8. #8
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,556

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    At any rate, the subject doesn't matter. Even if it is a fundamentally abstract subject, it is transformed into a series of mundane tasks in order to form a college course (in which the gist of the subject is supposed to be conveyed to the student...usually unsuccessfully, as demonstrated, again, by the sheer number of morons with degrees who don't know shit.)
    Depends on the university, as well as the department and to lesser extent, the individual instructor. You are unfortunately correct about the ubiquity of morons with worthless degrees. Too many people have trouble admitting that college is not for everyone.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  9. #9
    Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    4,797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avatar7 View Post
    You just have to suck it up. It sucks. But it can be exciting too .
    I dropped out of my history degree but it was mainly to do with external factors (three childminders i employed within the six months found full time positions and left with little to no notice) and not my ability to stay on the course itself. Though i did find it incredibly difficult to focus on details, especially course led ones... and not of my own choosing.

    I keep thinking about doing a science degree, the want is growing... but it would be painful.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

  10. #10
    Senior Member UniqueMixture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp
    Posts
    3,038

    Default

    Childminders sounds like "the giver"
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] IFP and INJ children
    By tovlo in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 06-09-2010, 11:22 AM
  2. [MBTItm] INFP and Negative Work Environments
    By denial in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 10-29-2009, 02:13 PM
  3. Article on Introverts for Extroverts
    By Natrushka in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 04-16-2009, 05:32 AM
  4. Recent Article On Introversion
    By heart in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-25-2007, 10:34 PM
  5. Article about WoW players
    By Zergling in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-16-2007, 07:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO