• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I can't want this for you...

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
current problem I was discussing with a coworker earlier and with the man's coworker staying with us at the moment just this evening... when your minions are slackers no matter what you do :(

I have one minion who's been on my team for quite a while... he's a good guy, but he just doesn't seem to take anything seriously and his mood is a total rollercoaster and EVERYTHING is dependent upon how you present yourself... he can go negative in a heartbeat and it influences everyone else as well as his performance... I've talked to him about it before and am getting kind of tired of getting called into the owners office and getting asked to reign in my minion... occasionally he'll get it into his head and actually do everything right for a couple of weeks and then he'll go back to his old ways... I'm considering cutting him loose for it just because it influences everyone else- I don't really WANT to do so because he's worked for me for quite a while and has done some really good work, but I really can't afford to have a loose cannon around :thumbdown:

there's a couple of other people in the office with similar behavior patterns and only one of the other people who are in charge seems to care about it at all... it's really quite annoying because I'd like to see these people succeed and have put quite a bit of work into them because they show some real potential, but I can't want them to succeed more than they do... I can't do their work for them... and punching people is generally frowned upon in the workplace- other than explaining to them nicely WHY they shouldn't behave in certain ways or just ignoring them and picking up with their people where they should be doing something what else is there to do that could possibly save them? :huh:

I've tried everything short of firing the one guy... any other ideas? :)

Fleeting

MBTI Type
ENTP
If you've already approached them directly with the problems, and have tried to work out solutions, and they haven't improved, then the only thing to do is to eliminate the problems.

If you haven't approached them with your concerns, however, do so, and ask if there is anything that would make things easier for them to remain on task.

Try thinking outside the box. When it comes to keeping me on task, which is fairly difficult to do, I respond better to suggestion than to direct order.

In what type of environ do you work?

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
once you have concluded that someone is not right for the position, you should fire them and not look back. every day a loose cannon is in your organization is a day that your team deals with the negative consequences and a high performing job seeker is out of a job.

judicious firing is one of the hardest management skills to acquire but one of the most important.

so, professionally...with compassion...and all the requisite legal/HR paperwork squared away: can his ass.

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
once you have concluded that someone is not right for the position, you should fire them and not look back. every day a loose cannon is in your organization is a day that your team deals with the negative consequences and a high performing job seeker is out of a job.

judicious firing is one of the hardest management skills to acquire but one of the most important.

so, professionally...with compassion...and all the requisite legal/HR paperwork squared away: can his ass.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Probably they're not particularly invested in the job at hand.