User Tag List

12 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    intp

Default Laptops For Schoolchildren?

I believe all children of school age eight plus should have laptops to do their school work on. Typing isn't as extroverted an activity as writing so this would be especially good for introverts but benefit extroverts as well. It is possible to remain in deeper thought whilst typing than writing because you can type automatically knowing where the keys are, hence not as extroverted an activity as manually writing. You can also work at least three times faster in type than word. A basic laptop equates well in value , no paper fees over the sum of a school life plus less trees felled (Good news for the planet). I used to struggle at school to get enough writing done over the course of the lesson and my son who is a clever INTJ used to unbelievably struggle with writing although he is well above average intelligence. When he was four years old he could play and finish games on his game console designed for twelve year + . You cannot write without fully focusing your attention on the pen and it's relation to the paper, this isn't such a problem in type. I realise a certain amount of focus goes into typing but you need more external focus to write. The problem is the school education system will automatically expect more word output per lesson if schools went into type, this is a mistake. Introverts especially want time to think, which would improve the quality of their work. The whole school system is designed around the wants and needs and pace of extroverted thinkers being in the majority. Einstein is a typical example of someone who could not make the best out of the school education system and this happens to many introverts including myself. Plus you cannot proof or adapt the language of your written work like you can in type. I definitely think moving away from paper onto laptops is the way forward. A plug adapter would have to designed to run in rows for children to plug into but I am sure technology can deal with that.

Do you agree or disagree?

Are Typology and INTP the only Centrals. I though INTJ's had their own site but all I found was a webpage with descriptions of the type but no siite. Are their any other Centrals?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

What I have noticed is as technology is integrated, the skills involving vocabulary recollection, spelling, handwriting, all go drastically down. After elementary school, Middle school is where I had a lot of problems for a while because I had to improve my hand writing and my sentence structure.

I think introducing technology is important--in stages--but that children need the skills that come from doing things by hand. Technology dependence can be a bitch. And I can already see several problems with laptops being stolen and broken, etc.

The stages I think are important:
    -- Early school: Typing lessons and typing-related games
    -- Later elementary school: Basic classes on microsoft office, study time with access to computers for things like final projects and essays after they have been graded via rough drafts by hand. Remedial handwriting and vocabulary classes if necessary.
    -- Middle school: Mandatory classes regarding basic computer maintenance and advanced microsoft office applications, study time with access to computers and printers to assist with homework and school work.
    -- Early high school: Advanced computer maintenance classes, all formal projects and papers typed, computer access
    -- Late high school: Laptops available upon request, free access to computers and printers for school work and projects, most school work done online on computers, preparatory classes mandated for college (These can be substituted only for completion of a work-study transition program)

^ That's how I would set it up anyways.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

^^ Agreed.

Handwriting, and good penmanship in particular, are crucial for several skills. They help reinforce language skills through the kinesthetic feedback of actually writing the letters, along with the ordinary auditory and visual feedback. It also teaches craftsmanship - that it's not enough merely to do something, but to do it well. This is not a particularly extraversion-oriented activity either, because it requires meticulous attention to detail, along with patience and, especially if you're studying calligraphy, an understanding of where particular letterforms belong and how they will run into the subsequent letters.

I also disagree with the assertion that it is easier to remain in deep thought while typing. Part of the process of learning good penmanship is learning the rhythm of writing. It takes time and deep thought to determine what one wants to say, how that person will say it, then present it in a way that is aesthetically pleasing, and then go on to the next segment. It may be possible to type faster, but it is of little benefit if the extra words do not contribute to the writing as a whole. Stream-of-consciousness typing does not lend itself to conciseness.

Also, good luck with keeping most students from distracting themselves on the laptops, if any sort of internet access is available. Not only that, but if they're plugged in, rather than bolted, that's a huge theft risk

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

And I can already see several problems with laptops being stolen and broken, etc.
    That seems to be the biggest issue to me yet tbh. I guess the easiest way would be to make it stationary desktops on the desk in class for every child. They wouldn't be able to take it home then obviously, but that would also remove the risk described above. They could take their stuff they write at the school to their home with a USB stick or per internet / VPN, but that would require that they have a computer at home then again (which is the case anyway in most households now and surely in the future even more though). Or they just print their stuff at school, although that would remove some of the key advantages.

Or they would grant children the option to bring their own notebooks to school. Will be hard then to control that they don't just play games or do anything else which has nothing to do with the lesson. If it was a computer of the school, they could restrict rights for the user so they can only use relevant software. If they take their own notebooks / tablets to school, teachers cannot control it.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhart View Post
    That seems to be the biggest issue to me yet tbh. I guess the easiest way would be to make it stationary desktops on the desk in class for every child. They wouldn't be able to take it home then obviously, but that would also remove the risk described above. They could take their stuff they write at the school to their home with a USB stick or per internet / VPN, but that would require that they have a computer at home then again (which is the case anyway in most households now and surely in the future even more though). Or they just print their stuff at school, although that would remove some of the key advantages.

Or they would grant children the option to bring their own notebooks to school. Will be hard then to control that they don't just play games or do anything else which has nothing to do with the lesson. If it was a computer of the school, they could restrict rights for the user so they can only use relevant software. If they take their own notebooks / tablets to school, teachers cannot control it.
    In my opinion, the likely solution is something similar to the technology they will be using for the Nintendo Wii U - the tablets aren't fully-functional computers themselves, but instead stream their data from a central mainframe. That would help prevent theft, as the tablets would not be functional outside of school grounds (the tablets and mainframe would be registered to one another via hardware, making it impossible to transfer tablets to another mainframe), and would also allow for more effective control of content, since the computing would be centralized.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

8 is a little young. I have a 9 year old and they are still doing worksheets. In order for it to work kids need to learn how to type a lot earlier, too. It's still being offered in high school even though kids need to learn touch type a lot earlier.

I also don't see how laptops would help introverts.

My introvert does wonderfully in school (14) and my extrovert can't stand it. (12)

Banned
    MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    ^^ Agreed.

Handwriting, and good penmanship in particular, are crucial for several skills. They help reinforce language skills through the kinesthetic feedback of actually writing the letters, along with the ordinary auditory and visual feedback. It also teaches craftsmanship - that it's not enough merely to do something, but to do it well. This is not a particularly extraversion-oriented activity either, because it requires meticulous attention to detail, along with patience and, especially if you're studying calligraphy, an understanding of where particular letterforms belong and how they will run into the subsequent letters.

I also disagree with the assertion that it is easier to remain in deep thought while typing. Part of the process of learning good penmanship is learning the rhythm of writing. It takes time and deep thought to determine what one wants to say, how that person will say it, then present it in a way that is aesthetically pleasing, and then go on to the next segment. It may be possible to type faster, but it is of little benefit if the extra words do not contribute to the writing as a whole. Stream-of-consciousness typing does not lend itself to conciseness.

Also, good luck with keeping most students from distracting themselves on the laptops, if any sort of internet access is available. Not only that, but if they're plugged in, rather than bolted, that's a huge theft risk
    You have some good points maybe the age range should be moved to secondary school. Maybe for the first year of secondary school children should stay in written text and have typing lessons a few hours a week.I agree with this (They help reinforce language skills through the kinesthetic feedback of actually writing the letters) even though I haven't slept for a few days it does make good sense. From the second year of secondary school only English should remain written textbook style to deal with your point about reinforcing language skills and penmanship . I personally loathe writing and have never obtained a flow so perhaps it's more me rather than the norm that has trouble accessing deeper thoughts while undertaking the activity. The speed in which you can type compared to write is significant so does allow more time for how you are going to word your work.

Banned
    MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    8 is a little young. I have a 9 year old and they are still doing worksheets. In order for it to work kids need to learn how to type a lot earlier, too. It's still being offered in high school even though kids need to learn touch type a lot earlier.

I also don't see how laptops would help introverts.

My introvert does wonderfully in school (14) and my extrovert can't stand it. (12)
    Your right about the age range, I changed it to second year of secondary school before I saw your post. I presumed my personal problems with broken thought trails whilst writing was one of the natures of an introverted personality but it has become worse since I have got older and is maybe more a reflection of my problems coming out of deep thought and holding onto the thread of what I was actually thinking rather than anything to do with introversion or extroversion. I can run a trail for hours but most of it vanishes when I return to the present. I need to sleep.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by godscollie View Post
    You have some good points maybe the age range should be moved to secondary school. Maybe for the first year of secondary school children should stay in written text and have typing lessons a few hours a week.I agree with this (They help reinforce language skills through the kinesthetic feedback of actually writing the letters) even though I haven't slept for a few days it does make good sense. From the second year of secondary school only English should remain written textbook style to deal with your point about reinforcing language skills and penmanship . I personally loathe writing and have never obtained a flow so perhaps it's more me rather than the norm that has trouble accessing deeper thoughts while undertaking the activity. The speed in which you can type compared to write is significant so does allow more time for how you are going to word your work.
    Well, I'll say this - if it weren't for the Internet, I'd have never known that I was writing improperly my entire life. My tendency was to write using the muscles of my wrist and fingers. This leads to sloppy, disjointed handwriting as it constitutes "drawing" the letters, rather than "writing" them. A few months ago, I switched to a different style of holding my pen, and using the muscles of my shoulder and upper arm to write, while keeping my wrist and finger muscles still. This has lead to a much more aesthetically pleasing and legible cursive that doesn't degrade at the bottom of the page. It also has lead to a much more even spacing of letters, and fewer mistakes with awkward cursive letters.

Handwriting seems like drudgery and a simple tool, but I've found a lot of value in how personal an expression of oneself that it represents. Part of the motivation for improving my handwriting was a sense that I was still writing like a child as an adult, and that the process would perhaps help me reflect on some aspects of maturity that I had previously overlooked. It's also fascinating how mood and emotion can effect minute changes to your handwriting, be it pressure or clustering of letters, and how this adds another dimension to writing. It's pretty cool in a lot of ways.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I find that if I have to push on the pen or pencil my handwriting is messier. I like to use sharpies because they write themselves and I just form the letters.