User Tag List

12 Last

Permabanned

Default Do you set a goal and go after it, or do you just live life one day at a time?

Do you set a goal and go after it, or do you just live life one day at a time and see where it takes you?

So far, I've been doing the latter and I guess this is where it has taken me. Honestly, looking around, I have no right to complain about anything...I have a lot going for me. But it's looking like the whole "living life on a whim" thing is starting to not pan out as much as I would have liked. It turns out my "whims" are mostly centered around being lazy and enjoying the ride. Practical things like.... acquiring food, clothes, shelter...as they don't seem to just produce themselves out of thin air...I find myself needing to actually apply some effort into acquiring them.

So, my question, really, is....how do you balance the "going after it" mindset with the "taking it easy" one?

Is the life lived constantly on the go in the pursuit of self set goals better than the one devoted exclusively to taking life as it comes?

I think one of my biggest fears is looking back at 75 and realizing I should have done it all differently. The good thing with having no goals is having nothing to fail at. The bad thing with having no goals is having nothing to do, just waiting around for death (though in essence that's all we all are doing...but I'm talking more about the meantime. I have a good 60 years or so before that happens...and 60 years is (quite literally, lol) forever for me). Goals also open up the possibility of failure, and I'm not sure which would be worse...the looking back and realizing you failed at your goals (and therefore a significant part of "life") or the looking back and realizing you should have been setting goals and have more or less drifted along life without doing anything.

So yeah, how do you balance the two (concerns)?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    Do you set a goal and go after it, or do you just live life one day at a time and see where it takes you?

So, my question, really, is....how do you balance the "going after it" mindset with the "taking it easy" one?

Is the life lived constantly on the go in the pursuit of self set goals better than the one devoted exclusively to taking life as it comes?
    I have always lived with goals, usually long-term goals that will take years to accomplish (e.g. education, career). These are like the lighthouse on the coastline. The waves and winds of life might buffet me back and forth, but my focus ultimately returns to the goals, and guides me back on track. Once I reach a goal, I might rest in the harbor awhile (a short while) before striking out toward the next one.

In my life, I have tried to keep balance among three modes of operation:

1. Progress toward goals, as described above.

2. Awareness of unexpected opportunities that come up along the way that might show me a better way to reach my goals, or even sometimes a more worthwhile goal. I am usually good at seeing and taking advantage of such opportunities.

3. Taking a break from (1) and (2) for rest, recreation, or just to enjoy the here-and-now. Sometimes I have to force myself to do this, almost like taking medicine, but I recognize its necessity and actually do enjoy the time I spend in this manner. Too much, though, and I get antsy that I am being too lazy and not making enough progress on the activities that are important to me.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTj

a/ I go after it; however, I give myself a lot of time to get there.

b/ It depends on what you want out of life, and the personality that you have. Meaning, an ExxJ would choose the former, and IxxP would choose the other. Moreover, how materialistic you are, and how endowed your bank account is, will determine how much go-getting you feel you have to do.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I guess you could say I have long range goals, call it a 'bucket list' if you will of things I definitely want to accomplish before I die. The problem is that its difficult to put a more concrete plan in action and sometimes there will be something else that is currently of more concern or interest so then I end up doing that thing instead. So there are lots of projects that are on the backburner so to speak.

I'm not really totally comfortable just living one day at a time and seeing where life takes me either. I guess I don't fully trust that if I did this that I'd get around to accomplishing some of the things I want to accomplish. I don't want to be an old person looking back at my life with a bunch of regrets about things I didn't do.

On the other hand, if I'm just moving from goal to goal with everything all planned out with no room for spontaneity, then that's hardly an enjoyable way to live either. Balance is good.

See why I have so much trouble with J/P?
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

when I was younger I set goals and went after them with a vengeance... then I took a few years and lived life one day at a time... that got me nowhere, but I had some fun... recently I've gone back to setting goals and going after them nearly single mindedly... it's working

oddly, it's kind of exhilarating!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

such a j its a-okay.
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

So far, I've been doing the latter and I guess this is where it has taken me. Honestly, looking around, I have no right to complain about anything...I have a lot going for me. But it's looking like the whole "living life on a whim" thing is starting to not pan out as much as I would have liked. It turns out my "whims" are mostly centered around being lazy and enjoying the ride. Practical things like.... acquiring food, clothes, shelter...as they don't seem to just produce themselves out of thin air...I find myself needing to actually apply some effort into acquiring them.

I think one of my biggest fears is looking back at 75 and realizing I should have done it all differently. The good thing with having no goals is having nothing to fail at. The bad thing with having no goals is having nothing to do, just waiting around for death (though in essence that's all we all are doing...but I'm talking more about the meantime. I have a good 60 years or so before that happens...and 60 years is (quite literally, lol) forever for me). Goals also open up the possibility of failure, and I'm not sure which would be worse...the looking back and realizing you failed at your goals (and therefore a significant part of "life") or the looking back and realizing you should have been setting goals and have more or less drifted along life without doing anything.

So yeah, how do you balance the two (concerns)?
    This is a complex question. I've always been a person to set goals and I've done a pretty good job at achieving them. There are times however when I've been too focused on the future and not enough on enjoying what is right in front of me - living in the present. The other thing that is it's important to choose the right goals. It is easy for us to pick goals that are not the most important things and then spend a disproportionate amount of time and sacrifice attempting to achieve them. So, I have been guilty of both of these things. If I could do things differently, I would make some different choices at times. You can't go back to the past though and none of us make perfect decisions.

There is a friend of mine who is completely the opposite. He set no goals. He planned for nothing. He has had a lot of fun. He enjoys racing cars, among other things. Recently he has begun to mention that he regrets not planning more and not having more clear goals because he has no financial resources and is beginning to be concerned that's going to cause him a problem in the future.

I guess somewhere in the middle might be the best place to be.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

My whole life is a plan.

Things don't always go according to plan, but there is always a plan.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I set massive long range goals but give myself wiggle room in working towards them.

I don't care if it's plan A, B, C, or even Z that works or maybe even just a spur of the moment thing as long as I get to that place I wanted to be in the end.

The thrill of getting what I envisioned and worked toward is possibly the best feeling in the world.
    1w9 sx/sp
    A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.

All that is gold does not glitter
    Not all those who wander are lost

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Plan for tomorrow (Ni), live for today (Se).
    Last edited by Zarathustra; 04-29-2012 at 12:41 PM.