• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Academic vs Vocational training

MBTI Type
ISTP
My fiancee is going to be studying for her M.A. soon and I'd like to change careers, so I've been looking a lot about different training paths and I'm wonder what other people's thoughts are.

For her, it's a no brainer to go to college. She has a B.A. already and with a completion of an M.A. she can eventually be doing work billable at $100/hour (this is verified I know because my dad does the same kind of work).

For me, it's not so simple. We don't have a lot of money and I'm not really a college classroom type of guy. The most interesting class I took in college was programming just because its the most analyze/operate(Ti-Se) you can do without going outside. College would cost a lot and it's pretty much out of the question.

Barring self-made entrepreneur (not my thing either) that leaves vocational school or the military.

Between the two, military seems like a no brainer... you get paid while you train so no student loans when you're done, that is pretty hard to beat. If you're married, the monthly income is about $3,000 and up. And you get vocational training. With high exposure across a breadth of possible occupational encounters. By the time you're at "entry level" you've already got 4 years of experience, after 4 years at college you got zip. Oh, plus you can go to college too and they pay for that. There's probably something else I'm forgetting here like they give you a Ferrari or something. Anyways...

Vocational school on the other hand is very expensive... more, even, than college plus the cost of tools. Is this as simple a decision as I think it is?

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If you get in an apprenticeship program you don't have to pay. You get paid while you. Learn on the job however you come out with no degree.