User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    LoLz

Default What do I do with an A.A. in Accounting? What is my life going to be?

So, people have been asking me this question lately and I've really been going by the plan of, "I'll just see what happens." After what I've gone through with personal issues with bipolar in the last few years, I'm happy to just finish a college degree, especially with a 4.0 GPA so far.

I'm finishing this degree at the end of the Fall '12 semester. What have i learned from all these classes? I don't want to be a CPA. I've went to AICPA meetings, I've taken numerous classes, talked to teachers, and other people in the MAcc program. The CPA life just doesn't look appealing to me. I've had no issue with all my classes and I understand the financial accounting fine. I'm just not that excited when I'm in the classes for it.

My Income Tax class was interesting the first few weeks, but when I got around to filling out tax forms, I wanted to retch. However, when I've taken Managerial Accounting and Business Finance, I felt like I was falling in love with my classes. They spoke out to me and I understood everything and it all seemed like common sense, which is why I'm taking Cost Accounting this Fall and looking forward to it. Although, we got to the final part of the Intermediate class today and I was correcting the teacher's errors on Statement of Cash Flows.

So, where does this leave me in 2013? By the time I graduate, I'll have 5 years experience of working in retail clothing. When I talked to a girl that was applying at a bank a few days ago, she suggested applying there, since my retail experience combined with the degree will be a big boost up. The college offers co-op programs, but I've had difficult signing up for them due to working full-time and I'm already taking 2 classes this Summer and 3 in the Fall.

I'm not looking for instant answers. This is just where I've landed myself academically, and now I've got to brainstorm on where to go from here. I still have time, I think.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I hated Managerial Accounting.

As for what you can do with an AA, of course there is bookkeeping or being an accounting assistant. You could also work for a bank in operations. Banks love accounting majors.

Personally, I would recommend getting the CPA, but if you don't want more education, I'm sure you know your school counseling office will have more career suggestions.

MBTI
    LoLz

I've been told so much about preparation, costs, and the examination for the CPA. It makes me want to turn around and run away at 500 mph toward a brick wall like Wile E. Coyote.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Well, accounting is a dreadful and boring profession, but realtively secure. I just think anyone going for that path should have take this into consideration?

If you prefer something more "dynamic", you might want to go for "shop manger" or similar positions. Oftentimes a knowledge of accounting is of great advantage.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sp
    Socionics
    INTp

An employer may have questions as to why you have an AA degree and not an AS (with concerns as to why you did not complete a 4-year degree). I’m not a prognosticator, so your life goes wherever you take it.
    There are too many CPAs around, possibly limiting your ability to recoup the investment you put into your education (check out the, I hate my job site on some of the problems young accountants experience with many of the big corporations).
    A lower degree could help you in more common accounting jobs.
    I’ve known people with no accounting degree who have bookkeeping services, but their risk of an unpredictable pay stream is greater.

I find making Excel spreadsheets and digging around QuickBooks interesting, but it’s not for everyone.

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

wtf is an anti aircracft of accounting u crazzzzzzzzzy
    1+1=3 OMFG

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    2 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post
    a bank a few days ago, she suggested applying there, since my retail experience combined with the degree will be a big boost up.
    If u go for a bank go HQ, not branch. Or just don't go at all.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Dull?
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    LoLz

I didn't know one word responses like that were allowed. News to me.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post
    I didn't know one word responses like that were allowed. News to me.
    She was asking if you find it to be dull.