• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

everyone around me doesn't think i can handle a job

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
but there's one available at the local bakery and since i love baking i feel like going for it, plus if i am able to handle a job I don't have to go on disability which would be awesome. What's some ways to boost my confidence?

G

garbage

Remember how much you love baking. Remember that there's an opening that they need to fill. They pretty much need someone like you, someone who's passionate about baking. If you like something, you'll do a good job at it--and that's what the bakery wants.

You've got something to offer them. That is the idea that will give you confidence.

Don't listen the people around you who think that you're not capable of it, because it's simply not true.

:2ar15:

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
but there's one available at the local bakery and since i love baking i feel like going for it, plus if i am able to handle a job I don't have to go on disability which would be awesome. What's some ways to boost my confidence?

go. it'll be hard work. early hours i imagine.
but the payoff should be good. you could
learn about the business from the ground
up, and perhaps even do your own side
catering business.

try it. what do you have to lose?

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

You prob want to start out small purplz...take something part time... do they have a part-time position?
I think you could handle a job but i would suggest building up the hours rather than jumping in the deep end. It's posssible for sure, try to stay positive and not do the all or nothing thing.

exact

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTP
Surely just doing it will prove them wrong and change opinions?

If you think that everyone around you doesn't think you can handle a job surely they must have fair reason for those opinions.

KDude

I'll give you the canned MBTI answer. Everything I've read is that IFPs can do anything as long as they believe in it. If it's personally fulfilling. It seems like you have that going for you. No point in paying attention to what others say. They're only measuring your habits when it came to things you weren't into.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

seriously? it's a fucking bakery job. if they don't think you're capable of doing that right, then they clearly view you as a child and don't respect you enough. don't listen to them, they're imbeciles

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Shit, I think it's hard work myself. :laugh:

Except for people who enjoy it. Same goes for cooks.

I'm not saying it isn't hard work, I'm saying that anyone can learn how to do it

KDude

I'm not saying it isn't hard work, I'm saying that anyone can learn how to do it

That doesn't make any sense to me. The work part has a lot to do with learning how to cook or bake. They're not seperate. You fuck up a lot, and learn over time. And in places like this, you don't get a lot of responsibility to learn anyways until you can be trusted with a lot of tedious shit. The only people who do it are those who enjoy it.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That doesn't make any sense to me. The work part has a lot to do with learning how to cook or bake. They're not seperate. You fuck up a lot, and learn over time. And in places like this, you don't get a lot of responsibility to learn anyways until you can be trusted with a lot of tedious shit. The only people who do it are those who enjoy it.

my point is simple, the prerequisite skills to work at a bakery are almost nothing.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
my point is simple, the prerequisite skills to work at a bakery are almost nothing.

...um, as an hourly, low-paid assistant part-time. Actually being a pastry chef takes a ton of skill. Even being able to decorate the simple birthday cakes in a grocery store isn't as easy as it looks, I taught myself to do it while working in grocery stores, and I had people seek out my ability to even write clearly on a cake for a customer while I was working as a cashier on the front end.

Kitchen work is also very stressful, if it's a busy kitchen. However, most bakeries are small enough where it would be a relatively low-stress job for someone with a proper skills.

Ideally, prpl would be one of the people who came in early to cook and bake, as opposed to being there in the busiest parts of the afternoon and evening which are more high volume customer based, and requires a higher level of responding to the immediate environment.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

Have you gone to culinary school? No?

So you're thinking of a bread baker and stuff, right?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=6877]Marmie Dearest[/MENTION]
[MENTION=9214]KDude[/MENTION]
it has just come to my attention that prpz is starting a baking business and not just getting a job as a baker. I retract my previous comments (though they were never intended to be disrespectful, this piece of information completely changes my opinion). starting a business of any kind is not for amateurs.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Now I know why americans invented fast food: you think working in a bakery or kitchen is already stressful :D.

In every craftsman job the start is stressful, but after already half a year you'll develop routines and know what to do when xy is needed. An active job like that would be impo the thing you could need right now, cause it would make you very tired and when you come home you'll straightly go to bed not cashing in booze on the way, if you know what I mean.

You should do it. I am a big fan of bakery products ! maybe we can trade some recipes, could be a bonus for you if you'ld know some foreign stuff :).

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Now I know why americans invented fast food: you think working in a bakery or kitchen is already stressful :D.

In every craftsman job the start is stressful, but after already half a year you'll develop routines and know what to do when xy is needed. An active job like that would be impo the thing you could need right now, cause it would make you very tired and when you come home you'll straightly go to bed not cashing in booze on the way, if you know what I mean.

You should do it. I am a big fan of bakery products ! maybe we can trade some recipes, could be a bonus for you if you'ld know some foreign stuff :).
I love foreign stuff and trading recipes.

is it weird i love making breads and cakes but i don't eat a lot of them because often an hour later i feel like i'm going to pass out?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I love foreign stuff and trading recipes.

is it weird i love making breads and cakes but i don't eat a lot of them because often an hour later i feel like i'm going to pass out?

Thats normal, its the sugar rush :D.

Be glad you can eat that much, one cup of cake and I have 2 pounds more :/