First 3456 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I don't know what I'd do other than academia. Also, I actually want to be a professor, so I'm infuriated by the idea of something getting in the way of research the way I've heard many complain.

As for that blog, it has valid points, but it needs to be filtered for its bias and the fact that there's some obvious preaching to the choir going on there.
    Eh, I remember during my orientation week they showed us some pie charts of expected time expenditures as a tenured professor (which is the best position you can hope to get, and that's hoping against hope that you will), and the vast majority of time spent was on administrative work and teaching responsibilities. And that was as a research professor...it would be even more lopsided as a primarily teaching professor or adjunct at small colleges, which is most likely where you're going to end up.

From experience I can honestly say that I find pretty much everything on that blog to be true. Especially the stuff about academia having a culture of fear and useless jargon. I literally cringe every time I hear or see words like "historiography" or "problematicity." FFS.

I mean, you're free to take what I (and everyone else on that blog) say as simple bitterness, but that seems to be what every wide-eyed prospective student does in the face of overwhelming negative tales of grad school. I guess it's one of those things people have to find out for themselves. So in that case, I highly recommend Usehername's advice about NOT NOT NOT attending a program unless you have full funding.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness
    Likes Noon liked this post

FigerPuppet

Quote Originally Posted by kyli_ryan View Post
    Medievalists The coolest people I've ever met... and the weirdest
    They're called historians.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    2wX so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    They're called historians.
    If I was getting a degree in History, I would call myself an historian. I swear I'm not saying I'm a medievalist to be ornery... just to be correct

FigerPuppet

If I was getting a degree in History, I would call myself an historian. I swear I'm not saying I'm a medievalist to be ornery... just to be correct
    You're a historian just like a guy with a degree in applied economics is an economist.

Not all medievalists are historians, some are literature folks. Historians don't like those people though.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    2wX so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by senza_tema View Post
    Not all medievalists are historians, some are literature folks. Historians don't like those people though.

I think it has something to do with the fact that a lot of historians dispensed with post-modern theory a while back whereas it still seems to be the raison d'être of most lit. departments.

The linguistic turn has done a lot of cool things for writing history though so I'm not going to hate on it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    2wX so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by senza_tema View Post
    I think it has something to do with the fact that a lot of historians dispensed with post-modern theory a while back whereas it still seems to be the raison d'être of most lit. departments.

The linguistic turn has done a lot of cool things for writing history though so I'm not going to hate on it.
    If it makes you feel better, I have to write a historiography paper and don't know what to do D: I feel like my professor is NOT going to appreciate my attempt either

If it makes you feel better, I have to write a historiography paper and don't know what to do D: I feel like my professor is NOT going to appreciate my attempt either
    Easy. Reconstruct your own version of whatever event or phenomenon you're discussing based on stuff you read, mention the most important books on the topic and say whether you agreed or disagreed with what the scholars said and why.

If you can pick your own topic, find an issue that's a major bone of contention among different scholars and analyze their different approaches to it with respect to structure, use of sources, theory, etc. These things are often more interesting to read when there's some sort of conflict to discuss. You also want to be able to state your own opinion one way or the other. Historians love thesis statements.

/derail

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Anyway, when you have an idea of the kind of lifestyle you want, you find a work-trajectory, pursuit-of-expertise vision that fits within that lifestyle.

So I'd ask: what kind of lifestyle do I want?
    Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    So in that case, I highly recommend Usehername's advice about NOT NOT NOT attending a program unless you have full funding.
    Money considerations only factor in so much. And, in my opinion, dictate nothing.