User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Ever since I discovered you plotted your academic career from an early age, I have been flabagasted, discombombulated and, I confess, disillusioned. You are the opposite side of the Moon. I person so different from myself I can't begin to understand you. And I can't begin to change you. I can't even begin to improve you. And yet to yourself you are completely normal. And even your friends find you normal. And yet here you are, popping up day after day.
    I did the opposite of deciding my career from an early age.

Victor, are you just using me as a foil and inventing a narrative to say something you want to say? That's not nice.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTj

I would say it's in the field where Jonathan Goldsmith earned his degree.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I did the opposite of deciding my career from an early age.

Victor, are you just using me as a foil and inventing a narrative to say something you want to say? That's not nice.
    I understood you to say recently that you were concerned about your academic career from an early age. Plainly I misunderstood you.

Perhaps you might like to correct me and tell us how you do see your academic career.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

My reply was American-centric, but it's not in the slightest bit personal. This "POV" of mine is about as common as postmodernist worldviews in American academia. Respectfully, your POV doesn't see the American system.

I'm not talking about "relatively low" earnings, I'm talking about signing loan papers that will put you so far in debt that it's mathematically impossible to climb out of it with your degree, and there's no bankruptcy option.
    He didn't ask for a financial/actuarial computation. He asked WHERE THE MOST INTERESTING PEOPLE LIE. So your answer is completely off the mark, IMHO.

If he were asking "do you think getting a phd in X field by going deep into debt is a good career choice", then maybe we could start with excel.

Regardless, I do agree that it's never a good idea to go for an unfunded phd. You're working, so you must be paid.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    I think I'm just going to pursue academia. I'm lucky in that it is a relatively accessible field to me.

So, I'm wondering, in your estimation, which fields tend to have the most interesting types of people?
    Well, interest is a subjective thing, I believe. What makes people interesting to you?

There is this notion of Holland Codes ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holland_Codes)

Frankly, I haven't read Hollands book. Nor do I know what the theory is based on. But it is a theory that nevertheless groups descriptions of peoples traits, likes, and vocations.

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    Also, beyond the intrinsic value each academic field has, what is supposed to be the value of various academic fields? Eg
    Hmm, that is an interesting question too. For me value is ultimately, subjective as well. What do you value? What do you want your contribution to society to be?

But if you asking how much do things pay, then there is the following list to consider:
    http://money.usnews.com/money/career...areers-of-2011
    But also keep in mind that list is essentially base off of 2009 BLS data from 2008. Things are not going to look nearly as rosy as they made things out to be for those professions.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

Philosophy has some really great and interesting people, but tbh, if it's not what you want to do with your life, don't do it.
    Chimera of Filth

A gruesome beast with dripping flesh
    Clings to me as a sick fixture
    My throbbing heart it gnawed apart
    It stalks and hunts me through mirrors

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Are you spending tens of thousands of dollars to become an "Interesting Person"?

I think you should write a book... kind of like AJ Jacobs with "A Year of Living Biblically" where he lived the bible for a year and "The Know It All" where he tried to become more intelligent. You could write something similar about your expensive journey to becoming more interesting.

And, interestingly enough, it could be an interesting book, so the author, (you) would then become an "Interesting Person" by default.
    You may want to minor in marketing- increase book sales to pay off those student loans.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    He didn't ask for a financial/actuarial computation. He asked WHERE THE MOST INTERESTING PEOPLE LIE. So your answer is completely off the mark, IMHO.

If he were asking "do you think getting a phd in X field by going deep into debt is a good career choice", then maybe we could start with excel.

Regardless, I do agree that it's never a good idea to go for an unfunded phd. You're working, so you must be paid.
    With the way he opened the OP, yes, you are absolutely right.

With the way he was potentially deciding a life decision, well, I wish people who knew the american loan system would've shaken me and told me the math before because I would've looked elsewhere. As it happens, I'm totally funded and great and in zero debt, but I didn't go into this making an informed decision. I just happened to have good luck.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I understood you to say recently that you were concerned about your academic career from an early age. Plainly I misunderstood you.

Perhaps you might like to correct me and tell us how you do see your academic career.
    Thanks, Victor.

I'd bet that there are legitimate gaps in academia, and I think neurolinguistics is one. Most of them, though . . . to buy into student loans means giving up on other dreams like raising a family or, for some people, living in the same city/province/state as your significant other.
    Last edited by Usehername; 02-26-2012 at 05:04 PM.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Most of them, though . . . to buy into student loans means giving up on other dreams like raising a family or, for some people, living in the same city/province/state as your significant other.
    Or being psychologically healthy...

As for the OP, it's really an absurd question in the first place - for obvious reasons. Add to that the fact that it seems like he/she is looking to go into an academic career for whimsical reasons (and not because he/she has a real burning passion for some very specific subject, which is THE ONLY reason to go into academia), and your advice about loans/long-term finances is very apt.

To the OP: the whole thing is really a pain in the ass, and unless you absolutely cannot stand the idea of doing anything else besides researching [insert relevant and sufficiently specific topic], then it's not a good career move financially or psychologically, regardless of whether the people are interesting or not. There's a shit ton of bullshit that you have to put up with on top of any real research that you do, and it makes a solid majority of people - who for the most part were always classic academic over-achievers - fall into depression/anxiety/other mental illness. It's really not something to enter into lightly.

Read this - 100 Reasons NOT to Go to Graduate School.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness
    Likes Noon liked this post